Author Topic: Soyuz TMA-22  (Read 800 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Soyuz TMA-22
« on: November 15, 2011, 08:32:42 PM »
I hope everybody got to watch the launch Sunday night.  It was the first manned launch since the last Shuttle flight in July.  I watched the live coverage on a Russian website and thoroughly enjoyed it.

It was snowing heavily, but that didn't faze the Russians a bit.  About two hours before liftoff, they had the ground crew out shoveling the launch pad.  When the cosmonauts and astronaut arrived, they were wearing hooded ponchos over their space suits to keep the snow off.

I suspect they've done this before.  It was new to me, though, since most of the launches I've seen originated in Florida.

Here are two videos of the launch.  The first video is from the Russian website where I watched it live.  Of course it's all in Russian.  When nobody is talking, you can hear the snow hitting the outdoor microphone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct-Ai8n2MpY&feature=player_embedded#!

The second video is NASA TV coverage with English narration.  It shows a different angle of the launch, but I think the Russian video is better.

NASA Feed: Soyuz TMA-22 launch

We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

Re: Soyuz TMA-22
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 09:09:01 PM »

Nobody said anything about the launch.
Glad you brought info.
Their plumb bob, cool.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 11:18:48 PM »
They're about to dock with the ISS in the next few minutes.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 07:05:21 AM »
Didn't know anything about it.

So, an American, a Russian and a Japanese guy go into a Soyuz capsule...

(There's a joke there waiting to be written, but somebody else will have to finish it!)

All I read recent is the scheduled launch of the next Mars rover later this month, 25th I think.  Curiosity.  Really, who names these things?  Blarney Fwank?   ::)

Spirit?  Opportunity?   ::)

Why can't we ever have a rover named something a little more manly like "Max" and have a little ceremony where a US flag pops out and is driven into the soil of Mars and a little banner unfurls beneath the flag announcing this planet has been claimed by the United States of America and the little rover salutes?!

::USA::

Now that I would pay to watch!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.