Author Topic: "Not-gun" causes lockdown at ECU  (Read 1727 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
"Not-gun" causes lockdown at ECU
« on: November 16, 2011, 04:21:35 PM »
Greenville, N.C. — East Carolina University was locked down for about three hours Wednesday after people reported seeing a man with an assault rifle walking casually on a main thoroughfare near the Greenville campus.

The item the man was carrying was, in fact, an umbrella.

Police spokeshole, just now on the "news", reports the man "will not be charged".  Boggles the mind, it does.  Were the cops looking for something with which to charge him and came up empty, or considering whether they ought to charge him with carrying an item impersonating an "assault rifle"?  Does it require the police to state carrying an umbrella is not a chargeable offense regardless of how many people lost their friggin minds over what may have appeared to be, possibly, a gun?

"The man will not be charged" with a crime he didn't commit.  Mighty white of them.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/10387437/
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: "Not-gun" causes lockdown at ECU
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 04:26:13 PM »

..."The man will not be charged" with a crime he didn't commit.  Mighty white of them.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 04:28:37 PM »
::raspberry::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 04:58:52 PM »
Seriously, vacuity runs amok in this story. People reporting an umbrella as a gun? Little skittish?

...Greenville police Sgt. Carlton Williams said rumors circulating on Facebook and Twitter caused authorities to "chase ghosts" and use resources inefficiently. Still, he said, the university handled the reports properly, law enforcement worked well together and students remained calm and orderly.

False leads about a potential hostage situation caused the evacuation of the Rivers Building.

Police also surrounded several city buses with weapons drawn after witnesses reporting seeing the armed man on board. That report was unfounded and all the buses were secured, authorities said...

...Three nearby schools also were locked down as a precaution – Elmhurst Elementary School, Wahl-Coates Elementary School and C.M. Eppes Middle School.

This is the fifth time in recent weeks that a North Carolina college campus has been locked down because of reports of a gunman.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 07:01:24 PM »
I'd say this happened because these people don't know what a gun looks like.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 10:09:28 AM »
I mean... locking down a college, several elementary schools, and surrounding city buses with weapons drawn because of an umbrella... I'm envisioning the police running around town like the Keystone Cops, acting like the Three Stooges and Barney Fife with Gilligan and Skipper, all slapping each other on the back of the head going "Doh!" while the theme song from Benny Hill plays in the background...

Benny Hill Theme

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 07:22:15 PM »
This is not the first such incident I've heard of...mundane items being mistaken for guns by members of our emasculated culture. And I agree with Pandora, the little bonus line stating that der Polizei have, most graciously, decided not to charge this man for his non-commission of a non-crime is itself a telling little detail. Shades of authoritarianism run amok.

I'm afraid many of our "public servants" are picking the wrong side of a growing divide.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly