Author Topic: Driving out Jack Daniels?  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Driving out Jack Daniels?
« on: November 18, 2011, 12:04:15 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/11/17/michigan-lawmaker-tries-to-lure-jack-daniels-amid-tax-dispute-in-tennessee/?test=latestnews

Michigan?

Uhh, if you're going to bug out of TN why not drive down the road a piece and see if some iron-free spring water can be had in the vicinity of Huntsville, AL?

::whatgives::

TN gotta do something about them taxer's...driving out this distillery seems an abomination!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Driving out Jack Daniels?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 01:32:34 PM »
Everything about this issue has been aggravating since the first I day I became aware of it.  Now, the following phrasing ...

The Moore County Council, without ruling on the proposal one way or the other, has approved a measure to seek permission from the state to put the question to ballot sometime next year -- perhaps as early as March.

..... brings to mind the description of democracy:  two wolves and a sheep voting to have mutton for lunch.  This Tenn. county council wants permission from the State to ask a group of citizens who they want to fleece next.  I can't imagine, in this day and age -- call me a cynic -- those county residents passing up the opportunity to pick JD's pocket, assuming it won't adversely affect their own at all.

As for Michigan, feh.  If the tax/business climate there was as good as advertised in the offer letter to JD, the letter wouldn't have had to be written in the first place.  JD is smart to keep the offer on the table as leverage, but relocating to Michigan would be a very stupid move.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 01:43:08 PM »
Even in a conservative state, there are those who feel entitled to other peoples money. It would serve the town of Lynchburg to lose Jack Daniels. Lets see how important that extra 10 bucks will be if they are no longer there.

There are stupid people everywhere. To comment Jack Daniels "owes" the town more only reinforces the niativity of the masses.

There was a time in this country the author of the tax would be run out of town.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 01:50:46 PM »

I_r_o_n free water... ::thinking::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 02:26:49 PM »
"deomocracy: two wolves and a sheep voting to have mutton for lunch...JD is smart to keep the offer on the table as leverage, but relocating to Michigan would be a very stupid move."

Right on both counts Pan!

"There was a time in this country the author of the tax would be run out of town."

Those days should never have left Don!

"I_r_o_n free water... "

Don't hurt yourself CO, it's only what JD touts when talking about their super special well water!

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 05:23:28 PM »

Yeah, there was a beer that came from the land of eleven hundred springs. 
Isn't Alabama the land of red clay?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 12:56:51 AM »
Proposal to Tax Jack Daniel's Whiskey Derailed

Which side is your bread buttered on, f'er.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 01:03:45 AM »

That whole damned thing was spear-headed by one a**hole and I hope they run his sorry butt out of town for having jeopardized the county's fiscal well-being .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 06:57:31 AM »

Yeah, there was a beer that came from the land of eleven hundred springs. We got one made from "sky blue waters"!    

Isn't Alabama the land of red clay?  I thought that was Georgia?  Anyway, most clays have iron and other trace metals, minerals and biological crud in 'em.  An old limestone spring may have the least iron content I would think. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 07:04:29 AM »

That whole damned thing was spear-headed by one a**hole and I hope they run his sorry butt out of town for having jeopardized the county's fiscal well-being .

Trying to find out more on this clown and I cannot find anything, who is this jackass?

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 08:12:17 AM »
  One little tid bit of info that most people don't know about is that Tennessee has what I believe is called the Cooper law or something like that where in that a Wiskey barrel can only be used once and has to be replaced.That law was put on the books to protect the barrel makers(coopers).

If they moved that alone would save JD God only knows how much money.Last time I checked an Oak barrel was in excess of a 150.bucks each and that was years ago.That is certainly a hidden tax that JD has paid for ever.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 08:21:07 AM »
  One little tid bit of info that most people don't know about is that Tennessee has what I believe is called the Cooper law or something like that where in that a Wiskey barrel can only be used once and has to be replaced.That law was put on the books to protect the barrel makers(coopers).

If they moved that alone would save JD God only knows how much money.Last time I checked an Oak barrel was in excess of a 150.bucks each and that was years ago.That is certainly a hidden tax that JD has paid for ever.

But then they sell those used barrels to other whiskey makers and brandy makers, so they get more use down the line.  It works out good for everyone I think.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 09:33:40 AM »

But then they sell those used barrels to other whiskey makers and brandy makers, so they get more use down the line.  It works out good for everyone I think.

Quite right . Belive it nor not a lot of the barrels from J.D. and Beam wind up in Scotland for aging the various blends of Scotch .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 10:12:01 AM »

Quite right . Belive it nor not a lot of the barrels from J.D. and Beam wind up in Scotland for aging the various blends of Scotch .

Yup.  And many a brandy vintner in France covets them barrels.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 04:08:05 PM »
The only reason I brought it up is that if you think about it those barrels last for years and years and they don't have to handle them in the sense that they have to sell pack ship and so on which does have a cost associated to it.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie