Welcome Visitors & New Members > Newbie Central - Introduce Yourself!

Greetings from the People's Province of Michigan

(1/3) > >>

Papa Bear:
I am a long time Red Stater. When I saw IDP's comment about leaving the Cain train, I had to check in.

Here's a brief history of my '012 search for a candidate:
1.) Cain until the anti-Muslim screed (I am anti-Sharia because it commingles religion, law and politics. As long as the Muslim in question does not advocate for Sharia and they are ardent advocates for the US, they deserve equal consideration).
2.) Turned to Bachmann, but I was uncomfortable with her past history of "stretching" things. When Perry joined and she came out with her Retardasil "story", that was it for me. I actually went through the various videos available of that night. It was very clear that no "unknown" person had come up to her after the debate for a long enough period of time to relate the supposed story. Bottom line, she lied and it was easily provable.
3.) Started to look at Perry, but his history with illegal immigration made me quite uncomfortable. Then he said that those of us who oppose instate tuition for illegals were "heartless"! BUHBYE!!
4.) I looked at the rest of the field. What a mess:

* The RINO Romneyfish is an amazing creature. It has no spine, yet it flipflops with every change in the tide.
* Santorum? Angry, Rude, Braggart, and Whiner extraordinaire!
* Paul? Downright insane stance on Iran.
* Huntsman? Full of himself, whiner, & left of Romney
* Gingrich? Brilliant, but tons of baggage. Didn't look viable w/rest of electorate.
It was time for another look at Cain. By then he had muddled his way through an explanation of the Muslim issue. I replayed many of his speeches on YouTube and started to get fired up. I approached the Cain train with caution. I talked to my wife about contributing. Then Cain started firing at Perry. He started with "not supporting Perry if he was the nominee"? I gave him the benefit of the doubt and defended him on RS (RedState). I endured a few slings and arrows, but I was one of many that were sympathetic to him. Then came the whole NH episode. I was shocked when he went after Perry. No chance of contribution at that point.

Then came the support of collective bargaining for Federal employees.

No Bleepin Way!!

Economics are supposed to be his expertise. How could he ever publicly endorse collective bargaining for Federal employees???

I cannot get back on the Cain Train!

In my mind, the Libya fumble pales in comparison (although it is a problem).

5.) Gingrich. Even with the baggage, he stands head and shoulders above the rest.

I suppose I could make the case for Perry if Newt is no longer viable by primary time, but it would be quite disappointing. Anybody else will require nose plugs!

BMG:
@P. Bear:

Greetings! I admit, I spent a bit of time up there in the People's Republic of Michigan, great state...TERRIBLE politics. I still go back there once a year for a college reunion. Anyway, enough of that...

You've mentioned Cain's Libya gaff - I'm guessing you mean this?  I'm still in the camp that thinks that Cain is the best overall conservative in the entire bunch, but when it comes to politics he seems to be pretty slow. Newt is saying all the right things, but his history shows that he doesn't walk the walk. I'm left with Cain by default at this point unless something changes and changes fast. Ah well, we'll just have to keep watching and see how it all unfolds but right now, those are the only two choices that are left to me, the rest of the field is garbage.  Ron Paul, if only he wasn't insane when considering the threats of the middle east, he'd be a shoe-in...but unfortunately, he's nutz.

Anyway, nice to have you here...now, join in on the rest of the conversations!  ::thumbsup::   ;D

charlesoakwood:

Welcome to IAF and welcome to a group nomads in search of a candidate.

Huey Lewis And The News - If This Is It

HT/TOM

Papa Bear:
@BMG
Thanks for the Welcome!

I was referring to the MJS interview where he lost it for a bit. It would not have bothered me so much if he had not spoken every single conscious thought he that was going through his head. Cain's performance reminded me of a junior officer doing a poor job of regurgitating a briefing sheet (I'm ex-USAF). I saw it many times and every time it ended the same way - a senior officer asked the briefer to stay after the briefing was done. Once they were alone behind closed doors, the junior officer got admonished for poor preparation. Those who couldn't get it together quickly never made it past Captain.

If we are putting soldiers in harms way, by definition, the issue should be an important part of presidential policy. A presidential candidate should know & believe in their major policy planks. Anybody that wants to be a viable presidential candidates should have better briefing skills than a junior officer.

Alphabet Soup:
Hiya Papa Bear and welcome to the forum!

In Cain's defense I heard that he was exhausted when he went into that interview. Not an excuse, but an explanation. HC's problem (or perhaps a bit more accurately stated, my problem with HC's presentation) is that he always seems to have the need to clarify himself. His credibility would be greater if he said what he really meant the first time (and then stuck to it).

Anyway, look forward to hearing more of your POV...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version