Author Topic: Greetings from the People's Province of Michigan  (Read 3680 times)

Offline Papa Bear

• Newb
Greetings from the People's Province of Michigan
« on: November 19, 2011, 10:42:22 AM »
I am a long time Red Stater. When I saw IDP's comment about leaving the Cain train, I had to check in.

Here's a brief history of my '012 search for a candidate:
1.) Cain until the anti-Muslim screed (I am anti-Sharia because it commingles religion, law and politics. As long as the Muslim in question does not advocate for Sharia and they are ardent advocates for the US, they deserve equal consideration).
2.) Turned to Bachmann, but I was uncomfortable with her past history of "stretching" things. When Perry joined and she came out with her Retardasil "story", that was it for me. I actually went through the various videos available of that night. It was very clear that no "unknown" person had come up to her after the debate for a long enough period of time to relate the supposed story. Bottom line, she lied and it was easily provable.
3.) Started to look at Perry, but his history with illegal immigration made me quite uncomfortable. Then he said that those of us who oppose instate tuition for illegals were "heartless"! BUHBYE!!
4.) I looked at the rest of the field. What a mess:
  • The RINO Romneyfish is an amazing creature. It has no spine, yet it flipflops with every change in the tide.
  • Santorum? Angry, Rude, Braggart, and Whiner extraordinaire!
  • Paul? Downright insane stance on Iran.
  • Huntsman? Full of himself, whiner, & left of Romney
  • Gingrich? Brilliant, but tons of baggage. Didn't look viable w/rest of electorate.

It was time for another look at Cain. By then he had muddled his way through an explanation of the Muslim issue. I replayed many of his speeches on YouTube and started to get fired up. I approached the Cain train with caution. I talked to my wife about contributing. Then Cain started firing at Perry. He started with "not supporting Perry if he was the nominee"? I gave him the benefit of the doubt and defended him on RS (RedState). I endured a few slings and arrows, but I was one of many that were sympathetic to him. Then came the whole NH episode. I was shocked when he went after Perry. No chance of contribution at that point.

Then came the support of collective bargaining for Federal employees.

No Bleepin Way!!

Economics are supposed to be his expertise. How could he ever publicly endorse collective bargaining for Federal employees???

I cannot get back on the Cain Train!

In my mind, the Libya fumble pales in comparison (although it is a problem).

5.) Gingrich. Even with the baggage, he stands head and shoulders above the rest.

I suppose I could make the case for Perry if Newt is no longer viable by primary time, but it would be quite disappointing. Anybody else will require nose plugs!

Offline BMG

• Established Member
Re: Greetings from the People's Province of Michigan
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 10:56:06 AM »
@P. Bear:

Greetings! I admit, I spent a bit of time up there in the People's Republic of Michigan, great state...TERRIBLE politics. I still go back there once a year for a college reunion. Anyway, enough of that...

You've mentioned Cain's Libya gaff - I'm guessing you mean this?  I'm still in the camp that thinks that Cain is the best overall conservative in the entire bunch, but when it comes to politics he seems to be pretty slow. Newt is saying all the right things, but his history shows that he doesn't walk the walk. I'm left with Cain by default at this point unless something changes and changes fast. Ah well, we'll just have to keep watching and see how it all unfolds but right now, those are the only two choices that are left to me, the rest of the field is garbage.  Ron Paul, if only he wasn't insane when considering the threats of the middle east, he'd be a shoe-in...but unfortunately, he's nutz.

Anyway, nice to have you here...now, join in on the rest of the conversations!  ::thumbsup::   ;D

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 11:21:45 AM by BMG »
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 11:23:32 AM »

Welcome to IAF and welcome to a group nomads in search of a candidate.

Huey Lewis And The News - If This Is It

HT/TOM

Offline Papa Bear

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 12:01:16 PM »
@BMG
Thanks for the Welcome!

I was referring to the MJS interview where he lost it for a bit. It would not have bothered me so much if he had not spoken every single conscious thought he that was going through his head. Cain's performance reminded me of a junior officer doing a poor job of regurgitating a briefing sheet (I'm ex-USAF). I saw it many times and every time it ended the same way - a senior officer asked the briefer to stay after the briefing was done. Once they were alone behind closed doors, the junior officer got admonished for poor preparation. Those who couldn't get it together quickly never made it past Captain.

If we are putting soldiers in harms way, by definition, the issue should be an important part of presidential policy. A presidential candidate should know & believe in their major policy planks. Anybody that wants to be a viable presidential candidates should have better briefing skills than a junior officer.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 12:12:21 PM »
Hiya Papa Bear and welcome to the forum!

In Cain's defense I heard that he was exhausted when he went into that interview. Not an excuse, but an explanation. HC's problem (or perhaps a bit more accurately stated, my problem with HC's presentation) is that he always seems to have the need to clarify himself. His credibility would be greater if he said what he really meant the first time (and then stuck to it).

Anyway, look forward to hearing more of your POV...

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 12:30:24 PM »
. . .
5.) Gingrich. Even with the baggage, he stands head and shoulders above the rest.
. . .

Pretty good call.

Any ideas why Ann Coulter has tacitly endorsed Romney? Is she looking for a press secretary gig or what?

And welcome. Reminds me of a story my neighbor likes to tell. Seems he decided to move down here from Michigan. He duct-taped a snow shovel to the grill of his car and headed South. First time some guy at a gas station pointed to the snow shovel and said "what the hell is that thing" he said

MY NEW HOME!
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 01:49:56 PM »
Welcome to the forum Papa Bear. I think you've summed up the situation pretty well. Thanks for following my breadcrumbs here. Hope to hear more from you.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Delnorin

• Free Speech While It Lasts
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 07:39:10 PM »
Welcome Papa Bear...

I'm also ex-USAF and I'm also from Michigan.  I'm now in Arizona but the first 40 years (minus years in USAF - Texas and Germany) and some time in Iraq (civilian contract work)... were spent in Michigan.  Born/raised.

I'm very sorry about where you live in Michigan.  Right in the armpit. :)

Offline Papa Bear

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 09:49:31 PM »
. . .
. . .

Pretty good call.

Any ideas why Ann Coulter has tacitly endorsed Romney? Is she looking for a press secretary gig or what?

And welcome. Reminds me of a story my neighbor likes to tell. Seems he decided to move down here from Michigan. He duct-taped a snow shovel to the grill of his car and headed South. First time some guy at a gas station pointed to the snow shovel and said "what the hell is that thing" he said

MY NEW HOME!
@BigAlS your neighbor was a smart man! I'm trapped here by golden handcuffs. The problem is, I have huge doubts that the retirement funding will be there in 20some years. It feels like Obama got in the driver's seat, mashed the gas down and started jamming Highway to Hell and I can't drive 55 at the same time.

Coulter is a hell of a lot more establishment than not. She likes to stir up the folks, but she sure isn't Tea Party. Consider this - she is the "Honorary Chair and Gay icon" for GOProud (yep, the gay Republican crowd). Link to Slate Article. Look who her hero was/is - Christie. He's not exactly a paragon of conservative virtue!!

@Delnorin During the summer it sure is an armpit. You would have laughed your ass off if you had seen it this summer. Picture this:

We had signs everywhere on the highways "Putting America to Work"

They put down the orange cones and tore up the highways.

The few of us that have jobs sat in massive traffic jams. Hour after hour. Day after day.

I rideshare with someone. We used to take turns counting the construction workers. For months, it averaged 2-3 workers per mile of M39 (this is a major freeway for those of you who haven't lived in Hell {AKA Detroit Metro}). We were all forced to use the access road on the Northern end of M39. On the Southern end they had 1 lane open. We watched as they made patchwork replacements of some of the worst parts of the median cement barrier and the cinder block sides. If the section had massive cracks, but was still mostly structurally present, the concrete stayed. If it was crumbling, they would cut sections out and replace it. We watched in amazement as they placed special forms for the new concrete. It was quite the process when they pulled the forms off because they had to be pried off horizontally. You see, they had molded inlays of grass in the concrete.

I'm not kidding.

Grass inlays in the concrete.

Suddenly a flood of workers showed up.

You're probably getting all cynical and thinking that there was a bonus on the line. Your right. They also got a special bonus for "beautifying" the city. But they weren't done. That's right - they hadn't painted the concrete yet. They proceeded to hand roll all the concrete a tan color. Then they hand brushed the grass inlays green. There it was - all beautified!!

Only 1 little problem. On the residential side of the street, there are burned out apartments, abandoned houses with broken windows, overgrown yards, and trees that have fallen down - branches in the street. Not one single wrapper, beer bottle or hypodermic needle was picked up on the residential side of the street.

But the Southfield Freeway is beautified with Obummer money  ::bashing::

And the union workers got their bonus ::gaah:: ::gaah::

Worse yet, since they just painted over cracks in a lot of spots and molded good concrete over bad in other spots, it is already showing signs of degradation. The cracks are propagating and it hasn't even made it 2 months  ::cussing:: ::cussing::

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 09:56:02 PM »
Worse yet, since they just painted over cracks in a lot of spots and molded good concrete over bad in other spots, it is already showing signs of degradation. The cracks are propagating and it hasn't even made it 2 months

You see P. Bear, that right there is what is otherwise known as 'Job Security' amongst the union crowd.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 08:47:33 AM »
The makework involved in these stimulus-funded highway projects is mind-boggling. Nothing more than a transfer of wealth and job security to unions in exchange for Democrat support at election time.

I've fantasized about vandalizing those damn $10,000 orange signs. Talk about sticking it in our faces.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Papa Bear

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 10:43:20 AM »
The makework involved in these stimulus-funded highway projects is mind-boggling. Nothing more than a transfer of wealth and job security to unions in exchange for Democrat support at election time.

I've fantasized about vandalizing those damn $10,000 orange signs. Talk about sticking it in our faces.

The highways are just the most visible example. I always thought it was bad until I saw a 106 acre park facelift project in Oakland County. During the summer, the average attendance at this local (free) park is about 50-60 people. At most, the upgrade may have increased attendance by 10-20 people per day. I'll quote directly from the propaganda:

[blockquote]
The improvements were paid for with $5.5 million in capital improvement bonds being repaid with tax revenue, and with a $500,000 from the  Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund, Navarre said.
The old park had only picnic areas, a sand volleyball court and a playground.

The money was used to completely revamp the park.

“It was like building a subdivision,” said Navarre.

Water and sewer lines were installed to provide for flush toilets and running water.

An imposing new lodge — which can be rented for gatherings of all kinds, including showers, reunions, parties and indoor picnics — sits near the main entrance.

“The buildings are heated by geothermal heat coming from earth,” explained Navarre.

Roads and parking lots were designed and constructed. Rainwater is treated onsite.

“The back parking lot has permeable asphalt,” he said.

A new parks maintenance facility to accommodate all 12 West Bloomfield parks’ equipment has been constructed at Marshbank.

A toilet building, open three seasons except in winter, also features a screened porch.
“From the porch you get a great view of the lake (Cass Lake),” he said.

The dog-shaped cutouts around the park are to keep geese away, officials said.

A paved walking path extends around the park and is designed without steps for people of any ability, said Navarre.

All renovations are compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act Architectural Guidelines. [/blockquote]

If you are wondering why I bolded the ADA statement, it is because of the unbelievable measures it took. You see, the old park was built on clay. So they removed it. Literally. The entire Effing park! It took over 2 years. They stripped several meters of clay off of about 1/2 of the 106 acres and replaced it with topsoil.

Thank god we have a "sustainable" park that can be navigated by any of our wheelchair bound citizens!

There are just a couple of minor details. The park is in an isolated area of the county. There are much larger and nicer parks that are close to the bulk of population. Although there may be a few disabled people who could reach the park without assistance, I have never seen a single disable person at the park. I run through the park 3 times a week.

What a waste - how many cities, counties, & states could tell this story? Parks, social welfare, economic growth projects, etc. All of them doing the same thing.

Digging holes!

(edited - grammar fix)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 11:43:17 AM by Papa Bear »

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 11:23:39 AM »
Thank god we have a "sustainable" park that can be navigated by any wheelchair bound citizens!

Radical egalitarianism in action.

I'm not insensitive to the challenges of disabled people (I'm sure the left would disagree), but we have lost control of our collective common sense in this country. Most days I'd say that we're certifiable!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 11:37:55 AM »
Same stuff at the train station in Cary, NC.  Big sign informing the populace of whence comes the beneficence -- O'Porkulus, check; lots of digging, upheaval and inconvenience to the train riders, check; blocking off previous parking to now store construction vehicles, check.

They're installing two "shelters" on the track platforms.

Made two visits there in ten days; no visible progress, check.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"