Author Topic: Firefly  (Read 7276 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Firefly
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2011, 07:45:02 AM »
I think I want to start over from episode 1 now and redo it all the way through again.

But don't.  When we first watched the series I made MichelleO wait a week between episodes.  Do a  annual marathon, or watch one each week and  time it to end on the 4th of July.  You will then forget much of it, keeping it fresh and more enjoyable the next time around.  We do the same with the Lord of the Rings, watching all three over the course of a week Just after Thanksgiving ( Yes, Its almost here, and this year I get to watch in Blue ray!)

Trust me, great productions don't come along that often, and you just have to husband them a bit to keep them from becoming "old hat" in your mind.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2011, 07:52:27 AM »
I've seen the movie but not the series.  It's on my list.  Right now, I'm finally watching Farscape ( ::danceban:: Netflix for streaming formerly out of print series  ::danceban:: )  Next I'll finally watch Seasons 3 and 4 of Lexx, which once again has been out of print.

Farscape was entertaining and I liked it. Lexx lost me after 3 episodes. Didn't dislike it, just didn't keep me coming back for more. I do not think either  is worth putting off watching Firefly for.

Also not sure I understand what you mean by out of print? Whole Farscape series is available for $50 at Amazon as is LEXX as individual season sets, though they are more unreasonably priced.

Granted Netflix may decide to stop showing them while you are busy with Firefly, but since Firefly is short, probably not.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2011, 08:06:45 AM »
Favorite Character:   Jewel Staite as Kaywinnit Lee "Kaylee" Frye.

I just fell in love with the girl.  She's not that sexy and sultry girl, she's also not that butt-ugly friend.. she's got this adorable cute look with a soft and caring heart.  She's also a genius when it comes to mechanics (impressive) and she doesn't hesistate to call people out on their crap when she sees it.  Those eyes... (sigh)... breathtaking.

Kaylee is written to be evey Sci-Fi geeks ideal.  Pretty, but not too pretty. WYSIWYG genuineness.  Smart and geeky herself, low maintenance, honest and sweet. Jewel Staite had to put on weight to take the role.  See her without  the weight you can tell its still her, but somehow while being prettier, she is less attractive to me. But maybe thats just my jaded view of what women who are too pretty and know it tend to be like on a personal level.. After dating a few,  I started avoiding women who were too pretty- they just weren't worth the trouble.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2011, 08:43:51 AM »
Star Trek is as significant a cultural phenomenon as any - Elvis Presley, the Lunar Module, JFK assassination, 9/11...

I don't mean it is equivalent in importance. But that the nation and culture are so inextricably steeped in it, that without it, the course of a nation and the world could be significantly different than it is. American and even world history would be significantly different than it is without Star Trek.

And for all Shatner's obvious shortcomings, he is one of a handful of people who shaped that phenomenon. It may not even exist with the significance it does without him.

It's interesting to me to watch the old series and notice how unabashedly American it was. Kirk was the embodiment of the robust and unapologetic American frontiersman, and the Enterprise was aptly named as the crew brought American values to the galaxy. The later permutations were tinged with collectivism, even while shining a completely negative spotlight on the end-result with the "Borg" episodes.

I can appreciate people not liking Star Trek. It's not for everybody. I don't like Jimi Hendrix. But I certainly appreciate the cultural impact of Jimi Hendrix and his influence on practitioners of his craft, and I think that anyone observing Star Trek can probably see that same thing - maybe not their cup-o-tea, but an important and impactful piece of Americana that is probably a net positive.

Re; spinoffs... "TNG" was a good reboot in IMHO. "DS9" took a season or two, but it became the best of the spinoffs IMHO. "Voyager" sucked eggs. "Enterprise" - never watched it enough to form an opinion.

I liked all the films to one degree or another. I cried when Kirk died in the "handofff to TNG" film. I really, really liked the reboot that came out a couple years ago a lot. I liked the casting, and as a diehard fan of the original, the changes they made to the characters didn't bother me. In fact, I thought they took character traits from the original portrayals and expanded/magnified them, rather than just making old characters act out of character.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2011, 08:47:16 AM »

...After dating a few,  I started avoiding women who were too pretty- they just weren't worth the trouble.

Hoo-boy.... ahem... Buddy, I'm SURE you'd like to qualify that, RIGHT???  ::thinking::  ::saywhat::  ::whatgives::

Just one guy helpin' out another.  ::thumbsup::  ::grouphug::  ::hysterical::

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2011, 09:17:34 AM »
It's interesting to me to watch the old series and notice how unabashedly American it was. Kirk was the embodiment of the robust and unapologetic American frontiersman, and the Enterprise was aptly named as the crew brought American values to the galaxy. The later permutations were tinged with collectivism, even while shining a completely negative spotlight on the end-result with the "Borg" episodes.

That's one of the things that I really appreciate about the original. The unabashed political incorrectness of it all is refreshing in today's hyper sensitive feminist world. They, of course, were oblivious to what we suffer with today.

STAR TREK BLOOPERS 1960`s

Take note of the scene at 1:40 where McCoy gropes Nurse Chapel (Roddenberry's wife). Would be grounds for a lawsuit today.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2011, 09:30:12 AM »
Hoo-boy.... ahem... Buddy, I'm SURE you'd like to qualify that, RIGHT???  ::thinking::  ::saywhat::  ::whatgives::

I think that both MichelleO and I have been married too long and have grown too fat together to care about my opinons concerning women would would now not look at me once, much less twice.  Pretty isn't the same thing as attractive and MichelleO knows that.  After all, how many men have (too pretty) spouses who would be willing to spend the retirement money preparing for Teotwaki? Too Pretty usually implies a desire to be "fabulous" at some level and you can't do that as a "Galt"er

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 10:06:21 AM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2011, 10:41:47 AM »
"Take note of the scene at 1:40 where McCoy gropes Nurse Chapel (Roddenberry's wife). Would be grounds for a lawsuit today."

Holy Shatner, Leonard H used both hands!   ::speechless::

;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

RickZ

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2011, 11:12:36 AM »
Okay, for all you heathens out there who do not like Star Trek:  Deep Space 9, hellfire and brimstone be your curse.  (Although I agree Voyager was less than sterling, even though it had it's moments.)  But DS9?  How anyone could not love (or hate) Shimmerman's portrayal of Quark is beyond me.  Quark is quite simply the best sci-fi character on a tv series ever (even though he was on Star Trek:  TNG, it was a very different Ferengi portrayal than Shimmerman's Quark).  Quark might even be one of the best 'alien' portrayals in film history (even though I don't think Shimmerman was in any of the movies, but I could be wrong on that).  Quark was a perfect example of someone who was the calm in the eye while all around them raged the hurricane.  Quark made DS9 move along.  I also appreciated the fact that DS9 went full circle in the plot department, with Cisco being the Emissary then so much more.  A very neat and tidy intergalactic story, what with the wormhole and the Jem Hadar along with the Cardassians in DS9's own quadrant of space.  Was there ever a more villainous vilain than Marc Alaimo's portrayal of the Cardassian Gul Dukat?  Another stunning 'alien' portrayal in a star base full of wonderful alien portrayals.  Like Dax, first with Jadzia then with Ezri, the Trill storyline being another great piece of sci-fi invention.  So sorry, DS9 is/was a great show, well worth being in any dvd collection (right alongside Babylon 5; I'm sensing a space station themed sci-fi liking).

Though Voyager, DS9 and the Original Star Trek really sucked in my opinion.

When I was growing up and watching the original I was watching re-runs in the early 80's and by those standards they were pretty campy and cheesy...even though new shows, like Buck Rogers were on that were at least just as campy and cheesy. lol

Even now, whenever I happen to watch an episode of the original with an objective eye, I still don't much care for them though. When I was a kid, watching TV was serious business you know? Now I can watch and see past some of the campy stuff and attribute it to the era in which it was produced.

But there is largely one reason why I don't care for it much still today and that is William Shatner.

I...absolutely...hate...the...way...he ...haltingly...delivers...his...lines.

Ahhh, Grasshopper...you lack the wisdom of historical perspective.

The original Star Trek was revolutionary in so many ways.

First, Gene Roddenberry was a genius for even getting it on the air. At the time (late 1960's), television science fiction was almost universally crap. With the notable exception of The Twilight Zone* (and to a lesser degree the Outer Limits) most television sci-fi of the era** spent almost nothing on quality writing.

[The following links all go to IMDB.]

Don't forget The Invaders.  A month or two ago they had an Invaders marathon on Scy-Fy (or however they spell the silly name now).  Hadn't seen it in years and I still liked the premise.  a Sort of early tv The First Wave, which I also enjoyed (mostly in reruns because I didn't catch it when it was on, which was the same pattern for me for the sci-fi show Special Unit Two).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 11:15:47 AM by RickZ »

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2011, 11:19:56 AM »
BMG <--- Heathen!  ::angel::

Ok now RickZ...don't stroke out!! Because I really disliked Babylon 5 too! *duck*

::unknowncomic::
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

RickZ

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2011, 11:36:06 AM »
BMG <--- Heathen!  ::angel::

Ok now RickZ...don't stroke out!! Because I really disliked Babylon 5 too! *duck*

::unknowncomic::

I also loved Babylon 5, a great storyline, with a wide intergalactic panorama to it.  I guess I love sweeping intergalactic story lines (like Hari Seldon in the Foundation series).

I also appreciated Ivanova's character, Jewish, at one point visited by a family rabbi to inform her of her father's death.  But honestly, there were some classic sci-fi-characters in that series, with some wonderful alien races.  I think that is owed to the writers to flesh out the characters and make them come alive (with appropriate kudos to the actors for doing the same in that they really did create another, quite believable, universe).

It's that old joke of ridicule and hope (since 9/11 old):  There are no muslims on Star Trek, but Babylon 5 had Jews!

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
I also loved Babylon 5, a great storyline, with a wide intergalactic panorama to it.  I guess I love sweeping intergalactic story lines (like Hari Seldon in the Foundation series).

I tried rewatching Babylon on netflix last year, and it lost me at the same point as the first time I watched...  when the shadow war was over, I just no longer cared.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2011, 12:37:43 PM »
...There are no muslims on Star Trek...

I've thought that from TNG onward - with the added context of Klingon warlike religion, reverence for ancient warlord history and death in battle, barbaric behavior, etc - that Klingons were analogous to Muslims. Notice that Worf was only successful at behaving civilly and interacting with humans (Americans) to the degree that he was assimilated into the human (American) culture. In those areas in which he was less assimilated, he was not compatible.

So no Muslims per se, but I think some of the difficulties in dealing with Muslims were explored whenever there was a Klingon storyline.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2011, 12:39:35 PM »

I've thought that from TNG onward - with the added context of Klingon warlike religion, reverence for ancient warlord history and death in battle, barbaric behavior, etc - that Klingons were analogous to Muslims. Notice that Worf was only successful at behaving civilly and interacting with humans (Americans) to the degree that he was assimilated into the human (American) culture. In those areas in which he was less assimilated, he was not compatible.

So no Muslims per se, but I think some of the difficulties in dealing with Muslims were explored whenever there was a Klingon storyline.

I always saw the Klingons as Russians.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2011, 12:40:19 PM »

...After all, how many men have (too pretty) spouses who would be willing to spend the retirement money preparing for Teotwaki?...

I was just funnin' ya... but damn good point here. I have trouble bringing my wife along in those regards. Doesn't have anything to do with her looks, but I get your point.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2011, 12:43:43 PM »

In the original series, that Soviet role was shared between Klingons and Romulans. I believe I remember that being stated officially in some interview or documentary.

But I still think that the whole deep-diving into the warlike Klingon religion from TNG forward made them the Muzzies.

- Thomas Jefferson

RickZ

« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2011, 02:19:52 PM »
On Babylon 5, the Centauri were Russians with bad haircuts.

Offline michelleo

« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2011, 12:03:26 AM »

...After all, how many men have (too pretty) spouses who would be willing to spend the retirement money preparing for Teotwaki?...

I was just funnin' ya... but damn good point here. I have trouble bringing my wife along in those regards. Doesn't have anything to do with her looks, but I get your point.

Heck, I know I ain't too pretty.  Weisshaupt knows he's still a very lucky man.   ;)

Offline Delnorin

• Free Speech While It Lasts
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2011, 06:21:58 AM »
Due to mentions above.. I've started the Farscape series.  I've watched many of them.. but I thought I'd start from the first and go through them all.

Not sure I've got Farscape here... or if I'm watching the muppets in space.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2011, 11:56:25 AM »

Russians for sure.  When Star Trek aired there were no muslims in America except for Sirhan Sirhan.
He killed Robert Kennedy the summer before Star Trek's last season.