Author Topic: Thanksgiving  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Thanksgiving
« on: November 23, 2011, 11:58:46 AM »
The info looks essentially correct to me, kind of fun to review.  As far as the Wapanoag's are concerned, it is more likely they heard to muskets going off and were curious than they were invitied, but bringing deer with them was recorded.  The "foul" in that area could have been partridge, duck or geese, "foul" usually isn't a term associated with turkey's, although some could have been in the area.

http://www.history.com/topics/thanksgiving

I have one ancestor that was traced back to the landing of the Winthrop fleet in 1640 and shoe settled in Roxbury, but I cannot find a link to the Mayflower.  Oh well, 1640 ain't bad!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 04:36:08 PM »
The info looks essentially correct to me, kind of fun to review.  As far as the Wapanoag's are concerned, it is more likely they heard to muskets going off and were curious than they were invitied, but bringing deer with them was recorded.  The "foul" in that area could have been partridge, duck or geese, "foul" usually isn't a term associated with turkey's, although some could have been in the area.

I have one ancestor that was traced back to the landing of the Winthrop fleet in 1640 and shoe settled in Roxbury, but I cannot find a link to the Mayflower.  Oh well, 1640 ain't bad!

That's cool.  We only got started on tracing our family a couple of months ago. It's fun and certainly brings history to life.  AND makes me mad when I hear these OWS types who don't appreciate what they have!

What's everyone have for Thanksgiving dinner?

We're working on the pumpkin and apple pies right now.  Teaching my youngest how to make them.  She's doing pretty good. 
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 04:48:20 PM »
We're having turkey with all the trimmings, but not until Monday.  Gunsmith is working tomorrow night.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 06:07:45 PM »
We're having turkey with all the trimmings, but not until Monday.  Gunsmith is working tomorrow night.

Were doing the all American deal all day.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 07:11:47 PM »
Good!

Y'all please have a Happy Thanksgiving!  We all still have something/s for which to give Thanks.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 07:21:56 PM »
Good!

Y'all please have a Happy Thanksgiving!  We all still have something/s for which to give Thanks.

Yes we do!Starting with each other and our families and true friends.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 08:58:15 PM »
We were planning on Thanksgiving day at our house, with my daughter, her hubby, and my grandson. But both my boys work at the same place (open 365 days), and they "sign up" for when they can and can't work. They were supposed to sign up for Thanksgiving morning, but my older boy got the days mixed up, so he signed them both up to work Thanksgiving afternoon/evening.

Sooo, we rescheduled Thanksgiving for Friday. Thursday is just going to be a regular day. First time in my life celebrating T-Day on a different day, IIRC.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 09:16:02 PM »
We were planning on Thanksgiving day at our house, with my daughter, her hubby, and my grandson. But both my boys work at the same place (open 365 days), and they "sign up" for when they can and can't work. They were supposed to sign up for Thanksgiving morning, but my older boy got the days mixed up, so he signed them both up to work Thanksgiving afternoon/evening.

Sooo, we rescheduled Thanksgiving for Friday. Thursday is just going to be a regular day. First time in my life celebrating T-Day on a different day, IIRC.

It isn't about a date on the calander it's about family and being together. It's just as good a day as any.Enjoy it.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 05:28:15 AM »
The info looks essentially correct to me, kind of fun to review.  As far as the Wapanoag's are concerned, it is more likely they heard to muskets going off and were curious than they were invitied, but bringing deer with them was recorded.  The "foul" in that area could have been partridge, duck or geese, "foul" usually isn't a term associated with turkey's, although some could have been in the area.

I have one ancestor that was traced back to the landing of the Winthrop fleet in 1640 and shoe settled in Roxbury, but I cannot find a link to the Mayflower.  Oh well, 1640 ain't bad!

There was a headline on the ticker this morning : "Canned Cranberries As Traditional As Homemade Turkey"
That's right ... the Pilgrims had canned cranberries but were forced to wait until the can opener was invented before they could eat them . I won't get into the "homemade" aspect of the turkey or exactly who stuffed it ... but they burned Witches for less !  ;D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 06:57:35 AM by Sectionhand »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 10:29:49 AM »
Heh, you're on a roll SH, don't stop!   ::thumbsup::

In my clan my brother is lead chef and does the bird, stuffing & gravy, sister makes side dishes (usually au gratin spuds, green bean casserole) and I bring the pie.  Unfortunately I can't bake anything so the pies came from Baker's Square, this year its Apple, French Silk & Strawberry-Ruhbarb.  Me and my BIL bring the hooch too, vino & beer respectively.

It's gonna be a long multi-thousand calorie day!

::whoohoo::

(Note to self, wear loosest pants I own!)   ;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.