Author Topic: Occupy Wall Street Crowd Blind to Benefits of Capitalism  (Read 726 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Occupy Wall Street Crowd Blind to Benefits of Capitalism
« on: November 23, 2011, 03:44:48 PM »
Like in 'Life of Brian,' protesters assume medicine, material goods will exist without the economic system that makes them possible.

By Gary Wolfram
Friday, November 11, 2011 10:45 AM EST

Every semester I ask my students: "What would you rather be? King of England in 1263 or you?" Every student would rather be themself. They enjoy using their iPhone, indoor plumbing, central heating, refrigerators and electric lighting. All of these things are available to the average person in America today and none of them were available to the aristocracy when the West operated under the feudal system.

How is it that for thousands of years mankind made very little progress in increasing the standard of living and yet today half of the goods and services you use in the next week did not exist when I was born? It wasn't that there was some change in the DNA such that we got smarter. The Greeks knew how to make a steam engine 3,000 years ago and never made one. The difference is in how we organize our economic system. The advent of market capitalism in the mid 18th century made all of the difference.

Which is why "they" want to destroy it.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Occupy Wall Street Crowd Blind to Benefits of Capitalism
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 03:48:42 PM »
They're like cargo-cult people who believe simply building airport runways will result in the appearance of industrial-made goods. Voila!  Magic!

Idiots.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"