Author Topic: Run on survivalist gear  (Read 1877 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
Run on survivalist gear
« on: November 24, 2011, 11:07:52 AM »
http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2011/11/23/survival-shop-reports-jump-in-sales-to-people-preparing-for-possible-collapse/

WEBSTER GROVES, MO (KMOX) - A chain of three stores that sells survival food and gear reports a jump in sales to people who are getting prepared for the “possible collapse” of society.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Run on survivalist gear
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 11:10:58 AM »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Delnorin

• Free Speech While It Lasts
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 09:05:43 PM »
The employee in the story is such a dolt.

What do you think is going to happen when society breaks down?  People are going to panic.. grab their guns and their friends and with 3-4 guys and their pickup truck they're going to go right to his survival store to clean it out.  And they're not going to be using their debit card.

He plans on waiting to just go to the store until it's already happening?

I guess all those environmental earth-worshiping folks are going to get their way... natural selection of mankind... the retards are just going to die.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 08:11:44 AM »
People are going to panic.. grab their guns and their friends and with 3-4 guys and their pickup truck they're going to go right to his survival store to clean it out.

We're already seeing this to some degree right now. All the flash mob activity suddenly going on and the roving gangs of teenagers doing all kinds of violent stuff lately. One of the reason (aside from other factors like predisposition to crime in the first place) that they are doing this is because unemployment is high - essentially society is at the early stages of crumbling. If they're doing this now, what will it be like when/if we do go over the cliff and the excrement really does hit the fan? We read these stories now and think, 'Wow, that's just crazy. How unfortunate!'. But when the shtf we won't be reading the stories anymore because we'll be dealing with them at our own houses and the people committing the crimes will be exceptionally more desperate than they are now.

And yeah Del, you couldn't be more right...

He plans on waiting to just go to the store until it's already happening?

If you don't already have things put away and ready to go before the shtf then you'd better be planing to do without. Because you'll be one person of the hundreds or thousands in your little community that didn't prepare and whatever supplies are left are going to be desperately fought over.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 12:52:04 PM »
If you don't already have things put away and ready to go before the shtf then you'd better be planing to do without. Because you'll be one person of the hundreds or thousands in your little community that didn't prepare and whatever supplies are left are going to be desperately fought over.

Not to mention this takes between 4X and 10X more time than you think.  Yeah, you can get your bugout bag done in a weekend. Congrats! You will now survive for a couple of weeks, and you  are counting on things returning to "normal' after that time.  What if they don't? Do you know how to use that pistol you bought? Let me guess.. you haven't fired it yet.

I thought I needed 3-4 months to get the Greenhouse and the Solar in. Its taken way more than that- and that was with steady progress and every summer weekend and 2 weeks of vacation thrown at it - and that has been the same with everything we have attempted. It takes time to research, it takes time to decide, it takes time ( and money) to procure, and then time build,  to learn and to use. Even if you have millions, you will not be able to get the things we have done finished in less than 6 months, and it with shortages, riots, shipping problems, thievery, and general chaos inherent in a collpase, you will be lucky to get it done in a year at 2x the price.

If a bugout bag is all you can manage and afford, then yeah, do that. But don't have any illusions that its going to save you in a protracted situation.  

« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 11:55:10 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 06:53:29 PM »
Spot on Weis!  ::thumbsup::
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 07:04:10 PM »
Shortages have already begun.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 04:13:06 PM »
Just think how lovely it will be in large urban centers where the bulk of the unprepared are, especially if rail & truck traffic gets interrupted...most cities would be lucky to have, what, a weeks worth of stores on hand?  The panic and chaos could be immense in even a moderate dispruption.

::exitstageleft::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.