Author Topic: Jericho  (Read 776 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
Jericho
« on: November 25, 2011, 08:17:08 AM »
All this talk about Firefly and the run on survivalist goods on that other thread got me remembering that show, 'Jericho' from a few years ago (another show that got canceled before it should have in my opinion). Sure there was a bit of a 'contrived' feel to it at times, but I still rather enjoyed it. Hrm...may have to re-watch that series in the near future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jericho_%28TV_series%29
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Jericho
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 09:34:40 AM »
I watched that series, but it was over so fast I have no idea if I caught 'em all or missed some! 

::whatgives::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline michelleo

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 10:15:17 AM »
Weisshaupt and I started watching, but quickly came to the conclusion it was yet another lefty rant about the evil Bush/Cheney regime and its war-mongering.  Yeah, they were so evil, they'd drop nuclear bombs on American cities for an excuse to start another war.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 10:46:49 AM »
...yet another lefty rant...

Hrm, guess I never saw that. Seemed rather that you could apply the situation to whatever political tinkering you wanted...though it seemed more to me like it was showing totalitarianism-themed governments in a bad light. But all of those questions about government involvement were all pretty much background in the series; though the story-line was worming its way toward some shadowy government agency that caused the disaster in order to purposefully cause the collapse of the existing governmental structure. In a lot of ways I see it being extremely applicable to our current troubles with leftism and the purposeful attempts to destroy the nation through economic means. 

The main thrust of the series though was more about surviving after societal collapse and it seemed to portray that fairly accurately I think.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 12:35:21 PM »
I enjoyed Jericho's brief run in spite of its leftist slant. Naturally, as a 'winger and a Sci-Fi buff I frequently have to bite my tongue against leftist cheapshots. I consider it my price of admission.

I knew the score going into the series premiere that they wouldn't be able to leave it alone and they didn't disappoint. But they did some stuff (probably inadvertently) that rebutted their own ideology.

Yes, it was revealed that our own government nuked its own citizens in a deliberate swipe at GW Bush (the current president at the time), but they failed to explicitly name names. From my admittedly biased perspective it is a far greater possibility that Øbozo would perpetrate than any Republican, and chose to view it that way (even before we knew that Øbozo would be boss). And the benevolent Republic of Texas? I thought that was hilarious.

I don't know why it failed - it was decently done escapism that didn't dwell too much on the grim realities of a post-apocalyptic America. I did long ago realize that my tastes and the tastes of the average American boob-toob viewer only connected on the slightest points of commonality.