Author Topic: *Climategate 2* Climate Scientist admits that they "were not especially honest"  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Papa Bear

• Newb
Let me start with some honesty/housekeeping: I am biased!

I am a research engineer that works on alternative energy. I believe:

• We need to open up every source of energy possible.
  • Cheap energy = advancement of humanity.
  • Significant CO2 increase = marginal increase in temperature (i.e. doubling CO2 will cause about .7C increase in worldwide temperature).
  • Minor increases in temperature probably provide more benefits than problems (i.e. the increase in arable land is much more beneficial than the supposed harm [can anyone point to ANY REAL potential Global Warming issues other than rise in sea level]).
  • The scientists promoting "the cause" of AGW are cherry picking data. Telling the truth would not scare people enough.
  • The earth's environment has built in feedback mechanisms that tend to regulate global temperatures. If man causes temperature increases, the earth will radiate more energy to space and bring the temperature back into balance. Their is existential proof that the environment is stable - the fact that we exist. There are many times in the past that the earth has been much warmer and had a much higher CO2 concentration than now. Obviously there was no tipping point then, what has changed?

GLOSSARY
Here are some terms (I will update this as I expand the thread) you see above and in the rest of the thread:
  • AGW - Anthropogenic Global Warming - the theory that man is the primary cause for significant and catastrophic warming of the entire earth
  • The Team (AKA the Hockeystick team) - The group of scientists that promote the theory that the recent temperatures are increasing at an "unprecedented" rate. According to the original author, Michael Mann, the curve supposedly looks like a hockey stick
  • Paleodata - long term historical data about the climate. Typically this term is used to describe purported "facts" that are hundreds, thousands or even millions of years old. However, it is inferred data (i.e. Kieth Briffa/Michael Mann say that changes in the width tree rings = changes in average yearly temperatures [fatter rings = warmer, skinnier rings = colder]. These are gross assumptions that are not true for every tree. Take the example of a tree that received less water for a few years because of changes in rainfall. The tree rings would be skinnier. Obviously we have no idea whether it was warmer or colder).
End Glossary

Weeeelllll ....

If the first Climategate affair didn't convince you, "Deep Climate" has brought us "Climategate 2.0"! There are over 5000 unencrypted emails & >200,000 encrypted e-mails.

This thread will bring you some of the highlights.

First Example

Without further ado, here are a few prize quotes from one of the scientists (Douglas Maraun) promoting the theory of AGW (source):
How should we deal with flaws inside the climate community? I think, that "our" reaction on the errors found in Mike Mann's work were not especially honest.
How should we deal with popular science like the Al Gore movie?
What should we do with/against exaggerations of the media?
How do we avoid sounding religious or arrogant?

Let me emphasize what he is admitting to - the theory of AGW is based on a lie and that most efforts to promote the theory are exaggeration.

Please note, I am not saying that the earth has not gotten warmer in the last 30 years. What I am saying is that the warming is not catastrophic and is very similar to what has occurred before industrialization.

I know this thread will go deep into technical details, but it is an important topic!

Second Example

Another primary member of "The Team" (Keith Briffa) says:
The problem here is a genuine paucity of long series and statistical problems in processing and calibrating such data. We need to and are, doing much more work to explore these questions and Hoyt's simplistic statement about borehole data reflecting only temperature forcing simply shows a naive at best and dishonest at worst attitude to the many problems that afflict these , and all ,palaeodata.

Amazing!

The author of a great majority of the paleodata studies is admitting that they are completely uncertain (i.e. clueless)!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 02:32:41 PM by Papa Bear »

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Good post and looking forward to seeing more.

I've had many run-ins with the Cult Of the Warmist's and get a cruel delight out of yanking their chains. I've found many of them to be quite earnest in their convictions, but so caught up in the cult that they have lost any objectivity they may have ever had.

Typically they are quick to judge you and compartmentalize you based on your responses. For (self-described) scientists I am surprised and mildly alarmed at their lack of critical thinking skills. More than once I've reduced them to whining "But why?!! when I assert that I decline to change my habits based upon their global warming hysteria.

Cultist acolytes love to deluge their opponents with reams of data with the presumption that it must (since it is data after all) be accepted at face value. They hate it when anyone provides their own analysis. And they reject outright any conclusions that don't include "any change in the weather=anthropogenic climate change".

My parting shot with the last guy I tangled with was admittedly non-scientific analysis (but it was fun watching his reaction all the same). I simply stated, "It doesn't matter because the money's all gone".

It no longer matters if even their worst predictions are correct - which are simply impossible - because the left (those most likely to fund your insanity) have spent all the money and their just isn't any left, no matter how dire the emergency.

This makes them crazy!

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
I think about how wildly successful this propaganda campaign has been, getting people to believe that human beings are catastrophically affecting the earth through industry, and that the only solution is collectivism. Alternative media of the Internet is the only thing that has derailed this lie, and even now with the truth out there, it is only partially derailed.

If not for the Internet, the people of the world would be fed a steady diet of manipulative lies that feed the Leftist agenda, and based on what we've seen with AGW propaganda, the lies would be effective.

If we come to the point when the flow of information on the Internet is controlled by government, there is no limit to the lies people will believe. "1984" doesn't scratch the surface of the darkness that will ensue.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
If not for the Internet, the people of the world would be fed a steady diet of manipulative lies that feed the Leftist agenda, and based on what we've seen with AGW propaganda, the lies would be effective.

This point cannot be underscored strongly enough. If not for truly independent voices unfettered by ideological chains to the "status quo" the Grand Undoing would be in full force right now. The Cult of the Global Warmists would have had their way and what's left of our economy would have been shredded.

I remember a time BI (before Internet) when I was becoming activist. My only outlet was the Letter to the Editor of the newspaper. But they wouldn't publish my letters or allow me to express my views. It wasn't because of grammar or profanity, it was because they didn't like what I had to say. So the arbitrarily silenced me.

Living in a leftist hell-hole I began to wonder if there was anyone like me consigned to this pit. You wouldn't know it from the press. Despite the natural competition for business the views of our two local papers were uniformly leftist. One had to seek out national publications in order to get another view.

The left likes to lay claim to the Internet - even though it was created by the military. I like to reply that, "Yea, you created a monster and set it loose. Now you've lost all control and it acts of its own accord".

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
I do worry about the Big Switch, people gotta have plans around technology, keep the flow of info going!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Climategate 2: Looks like US Gov't helped hide climate data
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 11:40:39 PM »
Climategate Bombshell: Did U.S. Gov't Help Hide Climate Data?

Are your tax dollars helping hide global warming data from the public? Internal emails leaked as part of “Climategate 2.0” indicate the answer may be "Yes."

The original Climategate emails -- correspondence stolen from servers at a research facility in the U.K. and released on the Internet in late 2009 -- shook up the field of climate research. Now a new batch posted in late November to a Russian server shows that scientists at the University of East Anglia’s Climatic Research Unit refused to share their U.S. government-funded data with anyone they thought would disagree with them.

Making that case in 2009, the then-head of the Research Unit, Dr. Phil Jones, told colleagues repeatedly that the U.S. Department of Energy was funding his data collection -- and that officials there agreed that he should not have to release the data.

“Work on the land station data has been funded by the U.S. Dept of Energy, and I have their agreement that the data needn’t be passed on. I got this [agreement] in 2007,” Jones wrote in a May 13, 2009, email to British officials, before listing reasons he did not want them to release data.

Two months later, Jones reiterated that sentiment to colleagues, saying that the data "has to be well hidden. I’ve discussed this with the main funder (U.S. Dept of Energy) in the past and they are happy about not releasing the original station data.”

A third email from Jones written in 2007 echoes the idea: "They are happy with me not passing on the station data," he wrote.

The emails have outraged climate-change skeptics who say they can't trust climate studies unless they see the raw data -- and how it has been adjusted.

"In every endeavor of science, making your work replicable by others is a basic tenet of proof,” Anthony Watts, a meteorologist and climate change blogger, told FoxNews.com. “If other scientists cannot replicate your work, it brings your work into question.”

Is the Department of Energy to blame? The Climategate emails reveal correspondence only between Jones and his colleagues -- not between him and the DoE.

"What’s missing," Watts said, "is a ... directive from DoE that they should withhold station data gathered under their grant. The email may be there, but ... still under lock and key.”

Chris Horner, a senior fellow at the Competitive Enterprise Institute, wants that key. He recently filed Freedom of Information acts with the DoE, requesting the emails they exchanged with Jones.

"So far no administration department has bothered to respond, indicating they … believe the time bought with stonewalling might just get them off the hook for disclosure," Horner told FoxNews.com.

"Not with us, it won't," he said.

The Department of Energy has until December 29 before it must legally respond to Horner's request.

More linked @ foxnews.com...
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

Transparentcy, that's the ticket.
[blockquote] I [US DOJ] request that you not disclose the existence of this request to the subscriber or any other person, other than as necessary to comply with this request.
The leftists, the ruling class, the environmentalists pinned all of their hopes on Global Warming, and these leaked e-mails are finishing it. We are now seeing acts of desperation.[/blockquote]

Yes, you guys are focused but don't forget Gunrunner's house of cards and responsibility for the death of Brian Terry.  God willing someone with courage will tie all this up in a bundle and awaken the masses.

[blockquote] Today he was raided by six UK police (Norfolk Constabulary and Metropolitan police) and several of his computers were seized as evidence. He writes:

After surveying my ancient stack of Sun Sparcstations and PII 400 pc’s, they ended up settling for two laptops and an adsl broadband router. I’m blogging this post via my mobile.
[/blockquote]

Continue reading ?

[blockquote] UPDATE10: More than a couple of people have asked me about computer security in the last couple of days, especially after the Tallbloke raid incident.[/blockquote]

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
Put in layman's terms , " not especially honest " means " lying like hell " .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
These ring leaders and thier cult following pose a clear and present danger to humanity and if I were in any position to do so each and every one of them would be defunded, exposed, ridiculed, shamed and shunned.  They could do us all a favor by dropping dead.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.