Author Topic: Mars Rover on its way  (Read 3394 times)

charlesoakwood

Mars Rover on its way
« on: November 27, 2011, 02:21:06 AM »

Curiosity Rover Trailer - August 10, 2011
http://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/videos/index.cfm?v=2
This animation shows the major mission events of the Curiosity rover's landing on Mars.
This Rover lands entirely different than the other.  It has no geodesic bouncing balloon.  
It is brought proximal to the surface and is expelled from a multi-engine delivery craft.

AP - NASA launches super-size rover to Mars: 'Go, Go!'

NASA's six-wheeled, one-armed wonder, Curiosity, [the size of a truck] will reach Mars next summer and use its jackhammer drill, rock-zapping laser machine and other devices to search for evidence that Earth's next-door neighbor might once have been home to the teeniest forms of life.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Mars Rover on its way
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 10:09:10 AM »
I'm confused. How will this bridge the divide with muslims? Are there muslims on Mars?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

CatholicCrusader

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 11:30:21 AM »
I'm confused. How will this bridge the divide with muslims? Are there muslims on Mars?

Maybe they meant to say Marslims.

LOL

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 01:28:35 PM »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 04:18:45 PM »
Dang, if the probe finds Marslims I say we quarantine the planet!  (And ship ours there!)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

CatholicCrusader

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 05:18:28 PM »
Dang, if the probe finds Marslims I say we quarantine the planet!  (And ship ours there!)

.........and throw Pelosi & Harry reid in the trunk for good measure

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 06:33:06 AM »

.........and throw Pelosi & Harry reid in the trunk for good measure

::whoohoo::

::danceban::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 07:49:58 PM »
Have to check in on NASA tomorrow, likely won't have anything on the landing until later tonight...

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/nasa-braces-for-7-minutes-of-terror-pre-mars-plunge/

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 11:40:33 PM »
Livestream here.

It's happening now. We are attempting to drop a big rover on Mars in about the most complicated way possible. What could go wrong?

As I write this a mere 18,800 people are watching the stream.

If I were sitting at one of those consoles at the JPL I sure wouldn't want my name on the back of my computer monitor. But that's just me wanting my privacy and all.

Oh and hey, let's get the fattest photographer we can find to shove his way between all those tightly spaced consoles...good idea.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 11:48:35 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 11:59:48 PM »
The final approach has begun and the mission control guys are passing around a jar of peanuts. Some kind of tradition or something. Looks better than passing a bong around, I will admit.

I guess at this point it is out of their hands and they may as well munch on peanuts.

I guess no one has one of those weird peanut allergies.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 12:03:49 AM »
Great...so one of the mission control guys has his name on the back of his monitor and it's "Fuk Li" WTG, NASA.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 12:06:37 AM »
There sure is a lot of handshaking and back slapping going on for something that could blow up at any second.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 12:08:35 AM »
Ponytails (for guys) and mohawks. This isn't the old NASA, that's for sure. Looks like hippie central. Nobody wears the old white shirt with black tie, that's for sure.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 12:29:48 AM »
What's weird, of course, is that everything that mission control sees is something like 14 minutes in the past due to the distance to Mars.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 12:31:18 AM »
Parachute deployed. Next step is parachute detachment and then descent with rockets.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 12:32:40 AM »
Holy cow, they did it.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 12:35:25 AM »
Mohawks and ponytails notwithstanding.  Can't always tell the book, m'friend .....
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 12:35:56 AM »
And just like that they are getting their first image from the surface.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 12:38:52 AM »
Mohawks and ponytails notwithstanding.  Can't always tell the book, m'friend .....

Just contrasting then and now.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 12:40:19 AM »