Author Topic: Key quote from John McCain shows what they're REALLY afraid of  (Read 1372 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Key quote from John McCain shows what they're REALLY afraid of
« on: January 29, 2012, 04:55:53 PM »
Tucked into this story about John McCain's dire warning of impending scandal and corruption because of the Supreme Court decision overturning the corporate contribution prohibition aspect of McCain-Feingold, is this little nugget that I think reveals more than any other comment I've seen exactly what the establishment fears from unfettered contributions. As detractors of McCain-Feingold often have said, the law was an incumbent protection act rather than an effort to tamp down the corruption of money. I think McCain's comment illustrates this perfectly.

He let the mask slip...

[blockquote]McCain Warns on Campaign Money: 'There Will be a Scandal'

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., flayed the Supreme Court Sunday for their 2010 decision that opened the door for corporations to give unlimited amounts of money to third-party political action committees, known as super PACs.

McCain, who has worked for decades to regulate campaign money, criticized the Citizens United decision, calling it an “outrage” and warning that the influx of cash will lead to problems.

“I guarantee there will be a scandal, there is too much money washing around politics, and it’s making the campaigns irrelevant,” McCain, who has endorsed Mitt Romney, said on NBC’s Meet the Press on Sunday.[/blockquote]

What McCain is essentially saying here is that political messaging is no longer in control of tightly run campaigns, and that outside interests are a threat to the sovereignty of campaign messaging. In other words, other voices besides the campaigns are influencing the debate, and diminishing the relevance of campaigns. Issues are being thrust to the forefront ahead of politicians, and politicians and political machines are forced to share space in the messaging of the issues. John McCain and his ilk do not like that.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

Re: Key quote from John McCain shows what they're REALLY afraid of
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 07:27:14 PM »
What-a-catch.
I thought this was going to be a new example of his onset dementia
but it's not.  This slip was not a slip it was not meant to be interpreted
in its subtle truth.  This campaign season is bonkers for us but it's ripping
them a new one too.  This is the war and we are engaged now.

The question, 'why did Obama invite the G.H.W. and Jeb to the WH?' came
up today; my response was,  to discuss how to stop the citizens from wrecking
the country club

Offline michelleo

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 10:06:29 PM »
The Illuminati at work?

Offline MacWell™

• Likes the place
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 07:07:45 AM »
He's afraid of what all the career politicians are afraid of, breaking up the good old boys club.
Congress has been hijacked by lawyers and thieves.
Congress was never meant to be a career.
Congress was never meant to be run by a bunch of lawyers.
Think about it, if we the people had real representation, Obamacare, and the bailouts, and the back door meetings, and the famous, "we have to pass the bill to find out what's in it." wouldn't even be thought about let alone voted into law. It was voted into law by people who's only care is their next election. People who trade their no, OUR votes like baseball cards.
First things first, rid America of the Obamanation in our White House.
Then, rid DC of as many career politicians as possible.
The founders left us with the proper role of the 3 branches of Government, if we the people, (the silent majority), continue to allow a small % of the population to dictate what the rest of us can do, then maybe we don't deserve America.

I think 2012 will go down in the history books as the year that America decided...

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 07:09:43 AM »
Who is worse for the Republican Party: McCain or his bloated daughter?
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 07:16:20 AM »
And she's fat, too.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 07:28:23 AM »
Yes, anything diluting the message of the central committee of the party must and should be crushed, or God forbid candidates who are more accountable to the people in this republic-in-name-only will have greater say over the role of government!  Can't have that, now can we?!

/

Bastard!  And remember, this elitist endorsed Romney!

::cussing::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 07:36:05 AM »
I think 2012 will go down in the history books as the year that America decided...

From the looks of the GOP field, it's already a bad decision. ::gaah::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson