Author Topic: More lunacy on display  (Read 547 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
More lunacy on display
« on: November 29, 2011, 11:50:16 AM »
Suburban town of Maplewood is up in arms over city plans to go to single source trash removal for all 20k residents, residents who will have no say in who picks up their trash! 

Here is an earlier article -

http://maplewood.patch.com/articles/hauler-suggests-pilot-program

Then this from last week -

http://www.twincities.com/ci_19412851?IADID=Search-www.twincities.com-www.twincities.com

And from yesterday -

http://www.startribune.com/local/east/134571158.html

Nobody is reporting what I heard on the radio this morning, that the mayor left the public hearing last night for 10 minutes, protesting the citizens not behaving (as this idiot put it) "as adults"!  The groan throughout the crowd was loud, spontaneous and genuine.

heard one resident say he is PO'd, and if this goes through, he'll stuff thier tiny little containers to over-flowing, and throw the rest of the crap out into the street!

Good rebellions can spring from such humble beginnings!  Let there be much rebellion springing up everywhere!

(I'm still refusing wireless water meter in my community, haven't had any city bozo's leave notes on my door for a while now!)   ::danceban::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: More lunacy on display
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 09:02:19 AM »
I like anything that gets people riled up against "authorities", it should be the baseline attitude of Americans.  I can't help but wonder though, how many people who are up in arms about "single source" garbage collection have given thought to what it will be like to have "single source" health care?  You are right, things like this can be quite instructive.  If people get an up close and personal taste of just how badly government screws up mundane things, it should make them consider how badly it would mismanage the really important aspects of our lives.

These people are angry because it's something coming from local government and it affects them personally, there's not the layers and layers of abstraction between them and the source, as there is when it comes to Federal edicts from DC. Hopefully though, some of them will start to think about how DC's burdens are no less onerous.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 09:06:12 AM »
That is my hope, don't know if it matters with respect to our current sorry state of affairs, given what little time we have may left, but if a few more people wake up and demonstrate they've had enough that is more potential allies on our side should the fit hit the shan!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 09:48:27 AM »
Uhm, I don't get it....."have no say in who picks up their trash?"

"Hi, my name's Dijon and I'll be your refuse collector for today. Have you seen our menu? We have some lovely specials on recycling today that I'm sure you'll enjoy"

::confused::

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 11:37:48 AM »
I think I've told the story before of how our HSA was out of control, walking around the neighborhood with clipboards and issuing notices to residents for grass length, cars in driveway, shrub-trimming, etc - and how I got elected to the board by promising to stick a screwdriver in its spokes at every possible turn.

Anyhoo, at one point before I got agitated enough to infiltrate, the "pretty-committee" decided it would be nice to have all the garbage cans the same color on Thursday mornings, and so we should contract with one service for the whole neighborhood. They went ahead and made the inquiries based solely on the suggestion having been made, got it lined up, and informed homeowners of their awesome deed on our behalf. All we needed to do was let our individual services know about the change.

Well, TSHTF, and residents said  ::doublebird::

The HSA board got smacked down big time. Lucky for us, the HSA covenants are weak to the point of impotence. The board has no legal authority, cannot sue, and thus has no power outside an individual home owner taking it upon themselves to sue - which is how it would be without the HSA.

A city has the force of law, an HSA does not. We have allowed government bodies to claim tyrannical powers, and have not stood up to them when they did. They really should be as impotent to affect our daily lives as my HSA.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 01:54:18 PM »
I got elected to the board by promising to stick a screwdriver in its spokes at every possible turn.

I love it.  Rush made a comment a few days ago that I have often made myself, that if you study the Constitution and the Federalist papers, it becomes plainly apparent that the Founders deliberately engineered gridlock into the system. It is a feature, not a bug. All this plaintive moaning from Colin Powell and others about how we just need to let our technocrat overlords work quietly and without interruption is nonsense. That is the exact situation our Founders wanted to avoid, because they rightly understood that power tends to corrupt even the noblest, so for safety we should impose as many institutional roadblocks as possible. It's a mentality I refer to as "enlightened cynicism".

So yes, by all means, we need more people poking screwdrivers into the spokes of the wheel. I think "Because" is a perfectly valid answer.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly