Author Topic: H5N1 on steroids, just what we need  (Read 1053 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
H5N1 on steroids, just what we need
« on: November 29, 2011, 08:43:20 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2066624/Anthrax-isnt-scary-compared-Man-flu-virus-potential-wipe-millions-created-warns-frightened-scientist.html

A group of scientists is pushing to publish research about how they created a man-made flu virus that could potentially wipe out civilisation.

The deadly virus is a genetically tweaked version of the H5N1 bird flu strain, but is far more infectious and could pass easily between millions of people at a time.

The research has caused a storm of controversy and divided scientists, with some saying it should never have been carried out.

The current strain of H5N1 has only killed 500 people and is not contagious enough to cause a global pandemic.

But their are fears the modified virus is so dangerous it could be used for bio-warfare, if it falls into the wrong hands.

Virologist Ron Fouchier of the Erasmus Medical Centre in the Netherlands lead a team of scientists who discovered that a mere five mutations to the avian virus was sufficient to make it spread far more easily.

He conducted his tests on ferrets as the animals have become a model of choice for influenza and have similar respiratory tracts to humans.

Fouchier is so prepared for a media storm that he has hired an advisor to help him work on a communication strategy.

The research done was part of an international drive to understand H5N1 more fully.

Fouchier admitted the strain is 'one of the most dangerous viruses you can make' but is still adamant he wants to publish a paper describing how it was done.

The study is one of two which has caused serious debate about scientific freedom and about regulating research which might have potential public health benefits but at the same time could also be useful for bio-terrorism.

The other paper, also on H5N1, was done by a joint team at the University of Wisconsin and the University of Tokyo.

It is understood to have had comparable results to the study done by Fouchier.

Both papers are now being reviewed by the U.S National Science Advisory Board for Biosecurity (NSABB).

NSABB does not have the power to prevent the publication but it could ask journals not to publish.

Paul Keim, chairman of NSABB, said: 'I can't think of another pathogenic organism that is as scary as this one. I don't think anthrax is scary at all compared to this.'

Traditionally scientific research has always been open so that fellow scientists can review the work of others and repeat their methods to try and learn from them.

But numerous scientists have said they believe research on the avian flu should be suppressed.

However bio-defense and flu expert Michael Osterholm, who is director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of innesota, said the work carried out was important medically.

He added he could not discuss the papers because he was a member of NSABB but said if they were published certain information could be withheld and made available to those who really need to know.

'We don't want to give bad guys a road map on how to make bad bugs really bad,' he said.

Stunning...
...what could possibly go wrong?
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: H5N1 on steroids, just what we need
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 09:10:41 PM »
Maybe it's part of the plan to deal with coming collapse of society.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 09:13:01 PM »
Jayzus.  Some people do not know when to stop, that some things ought not be done.

They need to keep their traps shut about how this was done, stop screwing around with it, and start working on a vaccine, in case their monster gets loose.

f**king stupid arrogant humans.

I can hear some of the Left cheering from here, as in "Yea! A virus "invented" to kill the "virus" of mankind".
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 09:28:03 PM »
You know - it took a little longer for this one to sink in (and I'll admit to a few notable relapses ;-) but even at about ten I had pretty much figured out that "just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something"  ::saywhat::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 09:43:52 PM »
Jayzus.  Some people do not know when to stop, that some things ought not be done.

They need to keep their traps shut about how this was done, stop screwing around with it, and start working on a vaccine, in case their monster gets loose.

f**king stupid arrogant humans.

I can hear some of the Left cheering from here, as in "Yea! A virus "invented" to kill the "virus" of mankind".

Look at me!       Look at me!       I did it!         It's my turn,          Look at me!!!       I did it!       I did it!  

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 09:51:20 PM »
Maybe it's part of the plan to deal with coming collapse of society.

I don't usually go for the Alex Jones stuff, but maybe the H1N1 hysteria last year was a trial run to see how people would react? How many would go for a inoculation?  See how people would respond for a call for mandatory inoculation.. etc.  Not necessarily with nefarious ends, but just gathering info for models and such.. and perhaps they knew how quickly and easily a sample of H1N1 could be weaponized, or had already done it themselves,  or had intelligence that others were working on it.  Or perhaps it was a rehearsal for something genuinely nefarious.  Of course, I have always felt that if Alex and his NWO/Illuminati/Bilderberg conspiracy theories were true, there isn't a dang thing to be done about it.  If someone WANTS to depopulate the earth, a biological pathogen is ideal - plausible deniability. automatic worldwide spread in 48 hours, and no possibility of recalling it or fighting it, and with proper gene programming it  could target sex, intelligence,  race etc.  The fact that it hasn't already happened is probably the best proof there is that a group of rich people trying to depopulate the earth doesn't exist.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 07:06:52 AM »
These clowns want to tout their achievement and hit the glitz blitz tour and wine and dine with celebrities and enjoy their brief moment in the sun, no way in hell they can stop shooting their mouth off about this.  What impact that has, who really knows, Weisshaupt makes some good points, but just because something hasn't been done yet doesn't mean it doesn't already exist and is ready to be used.  You want to silence these clowns?  Asking nice won't work, asking hard will send them scurrying for bodyguards...pretty much leaves...well, you figure it out!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.