Author Topic: Deer meat ...  (Read 5169 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Deer meat ...
« on: November 29, 2011, 10:45:26 PM »
Took delivery this evening of 32 lbs. of strictly ground, and 2 lbs. of country sausage (haven't had the sausage mix previously, so we'll see).

Lot of hamburgers, chili, and stuffed peppers in our future.

It was expensive, all things considered, at $2.50 lb.  Next deer go to a different processor, who is a whole lot less expensive because his packaging is not up to our standards, and we'll have a vacuum-packing party with the bulk batch.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

Re: Deer meat ...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 11:27:15 PM »

mmmm mmmm yummy

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 11:59:28 PM »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 04:48:04 AM »
Not TOO far off subject ... News Headline today : " Horses Could Soon Be Slaughtered For Meat In U.S. "

Does this mean that "Sea Biscuit Brisket" and "Mr.Ed Burgers" are in our future ?

RickZ

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 05:06:34 AM »
I'll be curious to hear how ground deer meat tastes.  I've only had venison stew before.  The sausage also sounds yummy, very lean (I would assume).

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 05:35:49 AM »
I'll be curious to hear how ground deer meat tastes.  I've only had venison stew before.  The sausage also sounds yummy, very lean (I would assume).

It's very good -- not gamey -- and, yes, very lean.  We mix the ground with a little beef for the 'burgers -- and they are, far and away, the best hamburgers I've ever had -- and with Neese's sausage for the pepper-stuffing.  Haven't made any chili with it yet, but I imagine it won't need any re-fatting for that.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 05:41:02 AM »
Not TOO far off subject ... News Headline today : " Horses Could Soon Be Slaughtered For Meat In U.S. "

Does this mean that "Sea Biscuit Brisket" and "Mr.Ed Burgers" are in our future ?

We've a local horse-rescue outfit in the county who is out of resources because they've had so many requests for help from folks who can't afford to feed their horses anymore.  I don't know if Americans are permitted to slaughter horses for human consumption, but a lot of people are out of options; can't feed, can't give away, can't sell.

In some places, there's little to no hay either -- Texas -- because of bad weather and what there is costs dear.

"Sea Biscuit Brisket"; heheh, SH.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 06:57:01 AM »

Seattle Slew Stew, Mmmmmm!!!!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

RickZ

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 08:04:18 AM »

Oh please.  Quit horsin' around.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 08:15:27 AM »

Guaranteed to give you the galloping $hits !  ;D

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 08:56:24 AM »

Oh please.  Quit horsin' around.

Gotta use the whip!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 08:56:45 AM »

Guaranteed to give you the galloping $hits !  ;D

Whoa, Nellie!