Author Topic: Herman Cain drops out of presidential race  (Read 4833 times)

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Herman Cain drops out of presidential race
« on: December 03, 2011, 01:25:15 PM »
Herman Cain, the insurgent populist whose candidacy has been ensnared by allegations of sexual impropriety, said Saturday that he is leaving the race for the Republican presidential nomination, saying that the allegations have cast a "cloud of doubt over me and this campaign."

"As of today, with a lot of prayer and soul searching, I am suspending my presidential campaign," he said at an event in Atlanta. "I am suspending my presidential campaign because of the continued distraction, the continued hurt . . . on me, on my family, not because we are not fighters, not because I am not a fighter."

More here: http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-cain-announcement-20111203,0,889996.story

Herman, we hardly knew ye....

charlesoakwood

Re: Herman Cain drops out of presidential race
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 01:41:06 PM »

And to the pundits who want me to go away I say, "Bless their little hearts",
I'm starting a website and I'm not going anywhere.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 08:11:16 PM »
Crap.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 09:09:23 PM »
Them damn white chicks will get you every time

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 11:30:11 PM »
Anybody get the "suspending" rather than "ending?"

If I'm not mistaken it has to do with not quitting until he qualifies for federal matching funds. Most campaigns have a significant amount of debt and I'm sure his is no exception. Getting that big infusion of "free" money will probably keep him out of debt.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 04:47:46 AM »
Them damn white chicks will get you every time

My father had a colorful saying when any guy made a particularly egregious and embarrassing mistake ... " Jeez ... He really tramped on his d**k that time ! "

I don't know if Herman Cain tramped on HIS but five or six women sure as hell did !

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 07:06:46 AM »
I don't know if Herman Cain tramped on HIS but five or six women sure as hell did !

Aren't all black men extremely well-endowed?
 ::saywhat::

He may have tramped on it

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 07:13:12 AM »
Whoa Nellie !  ::facepalm::

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 07:31:07 AM »
I think we have a consensus here that the presidential race was improved with Cain as a candidate. Also, the consensus is that Cain was not quite ready for prime time, and the media thoroughly enjoyed Cain's self-destruction.

What troubles me a bit is that I read commenters who have not given up on Cain as the nominee. And worse, they will bash any other nominee in the process. I believe that Cain showed himself unqualified at the present time, regardless of his marital transgressions.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 07:35:26 AM »
Cain probably shouldn't have left any evidence behind.  That humongous pearl necklace left around that woman's neck just couldn't be hidden!   ::exitstageleft::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 11:18:12 AM »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 11:23:12 AM »

Harken to the duo's kissy face during the debates.
More hearsay confirming Cain's campaign/presidency
not ready for prime time. 
[blockquote]
A TOP CAIN ADVISER  tells us the former candidate plans to endorse in the next few weeks — certainly this month, in order to affect the Iowa caucuses — and is most likely to go GINGRICH. They have a personal relationship that goes back to Gingrich’s days as Speaker, a much longer relationship than Cain has with any of the others. And they disagree on few issues. Cain can offer some Iowa organization and his power as a surrogate in the African-American community (including churches), a weakness for the GOP. [/blockquote]

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 12:31:14 PM »
I think we have a consensus here that the presidential race was improved with Cain as a candidate. Also, the consensus is that Cain was not quite ready for prime time, and the media thoroughly enjoyed Cain's self-destruction.

What troubles me a bit is that I read commenters who have not given up on Cain as the nominee. And worse, they will bash any other nominee in the process. I believe that Cain showed himself unqualified at the present time, regardless of his marital transgressions.
[/quote

I agree Cain wasn't ready for prime time, but I have distaste on the avenue(s) used by the media to knock him out of the race. Cain may be guilty, but again, it isn't the point. The media did there job, guilty by reason of innuendo. There job is done and they can now ignore these women and move on to newt. Let's see if these stories are still followed.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 09:51:52 AM »
What irritates me is, if any of this is true, then he knowingly launched a campaign with skeletons that would certainly be dragged out of the closet as the campaign gained ground. Has he done damage to the idea of people without a political pedigree seeking high office?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 11:13:23 AM »

Until the eras of the "tell all" biography and then, adding media,
"reality" journalism coupled with "it's not the facts it's the seriousness
of the charge" this junk would never have seen the light of day.  Didn't
we have a president living with an 17 yr old in the White House around
the turn of the 20th century?

Maybe Herman shall have caused people to reflect and dismiss
this yellow journalism for what it's worth.  Nothing.

However, going from private life to the White House is a big step
and it would behoove the interested party to, dabble, participate
at a lower level to "air out" his credibility.  It would also give the
candidate experience at hiring suitable staff.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 11:28:56 AM »
I'm beggining to sound like a Democrat...don't care about these allegations...all I know an outsider supported by the Tea Party has been torpedoed...we will wind up with a Ruling Class nominee...I will stay home and not vote, I swore to God I would not ever vote for a false choice ever again, and I am not welching on my word...the Ruling Class idiot will be shredded by Obama & Team Evil...and I am planning accordingly.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 12:30:57 PM »
What irritates me is, if any of this is true, then he knowingly launched a campaign with skeletons that would certainly be dragged out of the closet as the campaign gained ground. Has he done damage to the idea of people without a political pedigree seeking high office?

I don't understand that  ^^.  Doesn't everyone know that the media will find it or some loser from your past will take the opportunity for the limelight?

I'm beggining to sound like a Democrat...don't care about these allegations...all I know an outsider supported by the Tea Party has been torpedoed...we will wind up with a Ruling Class nominee...I will stay home and not vote, I swore to God I would not ever vote for a false choice ever again, and I am not welching on my word...the Ruling Class idiot will be shredded by Obama & Team Evil...and I am planning accordingly.

I'm reaching that point for the presidential race...there are local races I will vote in.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 01:03:23 PM »
I believe that Cain showed himself unqualified at the present time, regardless of his marital transgressions.

Yep.

Cain's numbers were plateauing before the charges came out because of his policy non-statements. You can't run on a platform of getting "top men" to advise you on stuff. That sort of a "dog ate my homework" attitude toward BASIC issues does not make for a strong base of support.

And there is no way that I will sit out the presidential election just because Reagan's clone is not running. This is the most important election in our lives and I will NOT allow the Dingus a second term just because the perfect candidate was not running on the Republican ticket. The country cannot afford a second term of President Downgrade. I have to be able to tell my children and grandchildren that I voted against the destruction of their future.

A Gingrich or Romney presidency might be less than good for the country. A second term for the Dingus is toxic. Yes, even as much of a disaster as a Ron Paul presidency would be it would be better than what we have now.

Sitting out the election is not an option for me. So yes, I will vote for douchebag or turd sandwich over toxic waste dump site any day of the week.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 02:10:10 PM »
...there is no way that I will sit out the presidential election just because Reagan's clone is not running...

This has been mentioned before, but it bears repeating: Even Reagan wasn't "Reagan" until he sat in the big chair. And he wasn't REALLY Reagan until history began viewing his accomplishments and presidency in hindsight.

These are dire times. I am not hopeful of - but I am open to - the possibility that a great president exists within the field as it is now, and that events will conspire to reveal greatness that we cannot see now.

Yeah, I know, monkeys might fly out of my butt too. I'm just saying.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 03:29:42 PM »
I would actually vote for a newt before I would let ObaMao get a second term.

Just say'n
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow