Author Topic: "Employment"  (Read 2892 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
"Employment"
« on: March 08, 2011, 09:29:46 PM »
This is a simple chart of the total number employed in the U.S.—just a head count with no spin about rate of change, seasonal adjustment, birth-death model, trend extrapolation, fifth order polynomial, year-over-year, moving average and so forth. Bottom line: there are two and a half million fewer people employed than there were six months ago, and oh yes, eight and a half million fewer than in 2007. Those numbers are what's left when the lipstick is wiped off the pig.

Zero Hedge has a couple of charts worth looking at too: Civilians Not In Labor Force, here, another head count chart. The other is the Employment as a Per Cent of Population, here.

ol remus and the woodpile report
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: "Employment"
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 09:37:05 PM »
Overlay that graph on a graph showing the increase in welfare dependency and you'd likely have a rough letter "X".
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 09:44:46 PM »

ol remus always gets me going.  Just bought a Bic ($1.45) today, remus says they don't work in the cold. It may not be cold to him but they work fine at 15 degrees Fahrenheit.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 09:55:29 PM »
It sucks.

Imagine how much worse it sucks for those whose tissue-thin understanding of the world leads them to believe that it is all Bush's fault. I encountered one yesterday at my folks place. 57 years old. A painter by trade, he said that he's been laid off for 14 months now.

I remarked that we need to get Øbongo out of office now and he got irritated with me, saying that "Obama inherited this mess from Bush". I reminded him of how long it's been since GW left office and even if he had had anything to do with it, surely the Øbomination should have roared back and passed a miracle by now.

"I can't talk to people like you" he said.

"Yea, the truth tends to be harsh to the willfully ignorant" I casually tossed back.

"Enjoy your president and your unemployment"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 10:11:21 PM »

ol remus always gets me going.  Just bought a Bic ($1.45) today, remus says they don't work in the cold. It may not be cold to him but they work fine at 15 degrees Fahrenheit.

Hasn't gotten down to 15 here in a while, but none of my lighters work right off in the cold.  Need a bit of hand-warming first.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 10:13:05 PM »
It sucks.

Imagine how much worse it sucks for those whose tissue-thin understanding of the world leads them to believe that it is all Bush's fault. I encountered one yesterday at my folks place. 57 years old. A painter by trade, he said that he's been laid off for 14 months now.

I remarked that we need to get Øbongo out of office now and he got irritated with me, saying that "Obama inherited this mess from Bush". I reminded him of how long it's been since GW left office and even if he had had anything to do with it, surely the Øbomination should have roared back and passed a miracle by now.

"I can't talk to people like you" he said.

"Yea, the truth tends to be harsh to the willfully ignorant" I casually tossed back.

"Enjoy your president and your unemployment"

It's going to get worse before it gets better, including the unemployment situation, and it's guys like that will be begging Unca Sugar for a rescue.  At the expense of anyone with one more potato than he.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 10:16:08 PM »
I've been buying a bunch of kitchen matches just because they seem like an indispensable thing to have and are pretty inexpensive. Plus I've got waterproof and windproof matches, but I keep them in "reserve" for the prospect of primitive conditions.

I remember in Boy Scouts we used a flint and steel fire starter with lint from the dryer as the "kindling" material. That worked pretty well. I also know how to start a fire with a magnifying glass :)
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 10:36:42 PM »
Gunsmith is now working with a young LDS member.  I hope this man belongs to a church with a canning/processing kitchen because members can get access for non-members.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 09:39:45 PM »
RUSH:  ...  "Handouts..." This headline alone: "Government Handouts," welfare, whatever you want to call it, "Make Up One-Third of US Wages."  One-third!  Of course we're really not talking "wages," but I understand the use of the word in this story and in the headline.  One-third of us don't earn anything.  One-third of us live totally on handouts.  One-third of our great country lives on handouts -- and even this story, at the end, says it really isn't that bad.  It could be worse.  It could be like Europe.  

This is rotten.  This stinks.

...The payment of unemployment benefits is almost as high as Social Security in this country.  Folks, we are not going to survive as a nation, not the way we've been founded, with this kind of sloth and laziness and feeding at the public trough.

It just cannot happen.  And to even call this "wages" --
How did the people in this country get by before the great War on Poverty declared by Lyndon Johnson?  How did it happen?  How come we're always told we can't afford any war -- we can't afford Vietnam, we can't afford Iraq, we can't afford Afghanistan -- but we always have plenty of money for the War on Poverty?
Pelosi and Goolsbee say that this unemployment compensation generates a buck and a half return for every dollar-of-benefits.  It's an out-and-out lie. (interruption)  No! This makes me so mad because we're destroying people's lives.  Snerdley, that's why it makes me mad!  One-third of the people of this country are being denied their full opportunity to reach their own potential -- and this is on purpose.
"Social welfare benefits have increased by $514 billion over the last two years, according to TrimTabs figures, in part because of measures implemented to fight the financial crisis," and measures implemented to buy votes, frankly.

www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_030911/content/01125107.guest.html

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 09:48:37 PM »
Bad.  This is bad.  People have already begun, more than is good for them or us, to use government largesse as their failsafe.

Personal note:  no doubt I could qualify for SS disability; no. fcking. way.  I don't need it, I don't want it, and I'll be damned if I ever stoop that low, but ..... too many folks are in a position where that's all they have because they weren't, nor are they now, taught the value of planning ahead and private insurance when it's in their favor to buy it.  We need to recover that reinstruction of people in how to save themselves from the bad times by planning during the good times.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 10:31:58 PM »
value of planning ahead and private insurance when it's in their favor to buy it.  We need to recover that reinstruction of people in how to save themselves from the bad times by planning during the good times.

It will be a giant root canal.  Legislation and insurance companies are bunk buddies.  In 1980, from my perspective, things were normal. Then came the incurable Herpes hysteria and on the heels of that Aids.  There was talk of quarantine and at the same time the homosexuals were refusing to discontinue use of bath houses. (See the movie "The Ritz" for bathhouse instruction) At first there were no medicines and the costs/payouts were off the actuary charts.  Insurance companies were taking a big hit, and the govt. was doing nothing (civil rights) to stop the spread of the disease.  The InsCos said if things continued the way they were going they would all go bankrupt.  There was legislation, backed by the AMA, that (naturally) regulated much more than necessary. (my orthopedic said,"if I can't practice medicine the way I think best I'll quit."  And he did) The purpose of the legislation was to create a way for insurance companies to stay solvent and for aids patients to receive help. This was the beginning of the govt/ins social engineering alliance.

Within two years employers who had previously offered top of the line, plus dental, plus glasses, plus chiropractor, were now offering "the new and improved" (never heard of before) HMO's and PPL's.*

Government must be forced to get out of the insurance business and insurance must be constructed/regulated in such a way that one can afford the payments.  The way things are contrived today, unless you are the valuable employee of a big corporation, the cost of illness can price you out of a job.  If you historically had an individual policy you can within a year be priced out of your ability to pay.  The genesis of this structuring was the aids crisis legislation I do believe.

Correcting this gross mismanagement will be extremely difficult, fighting liberals and doing it successfully it will be impossible.

*Yes, HMO legislation was a Kennedy legislation passed in the 1970's; however, it was in marginal use until the insurance company threat and new legislation passed.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 10:40:18 PM by Charles Oakwood »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 10:36:43 PM »
I see your point quite well, CO; however, I was referring to Disability Insurance - short and long-term.

If "healthcare" insurance reform had been done correctly, the obstacles you mention would have been legislated out of existance.

One step at a time, darlin'.