Author Topic: USPS decides to downsize (staff and deliveries)  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
USPS decides to downsize (staff and deliveries)
« on: December 05, 2011, 07:53:55 PM »
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/12/05/postal-service-confirms-cuts-that-will-slow-mail-down/

Great, suckier services and longer delays and still they'll lose a sh*tload of taxpayer funds, what's not to like?

/

Should just outsource the whole shebang, a private firm could not be this incompetent!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Re: USPS decides to downsize (staff and deliveries)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 08:08:30 PM »
So I'm understanding there will be no more first class service?

Honestly, the post office needs to be shut down. If shut down, private enterprise would pick up the slack and be much better.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 08:39:47 PM »
  Only the government can screw up a monopoly.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 08:53:47 PM »

Susan Collins said we have to do something about this.

This past month three bills weren't delivered.
Who do I piss off first, the mail man or the post office.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 12:34:08 AM »
According to wikipedia the USPS currently employs 574,000 people.

According to news reports they are planning on eliminating close to 28,000 jobs. That's less than 5%

Not that they will be firing 28,000 people. These eliminations will be accomplished via attrition as employees retire.

Not that the USPS will see an immediate savings due to 5% fewer employees because they will still be paid (pension), they just won't be working anymore.

Still, unlike the federal budget, this action will actually result in a real cut rather than a mere reduction in growth.

So there's something happy to think about.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 11:09:54 PM »
Now I know I'm prob a bit off on the numbers but what I heard on the radio yesterday was that the post office suggested the closing of 3200 post offices but because no congressman wants a closed post office in his district the number was cut to something between 100-200.

One woman called into the show and said that her SIL works at the post office and there are a LOT of people who sit and do nothing for hours.

And to think working for the post office requires taking an exam.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 07:03:49 AM »
Now I know I'm prob a bit off on the numbers but what I heard on the radio yesterday was that the post office suggested the closing of 3200 post offices but because no congressman wants a closed post office in his district the number was cut to something between 100-200.

One woman called into the show and said that her SIL works at the post office and there are a LOT of people who sit and do nothing for hours.

And to think working for the post office requires taking an exam.

And what they really need is a psychological exam.

::rimshot::

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 07:06:36 AM »
Blockbuster cheering the loudest.  Honestly, except for Netflix turnaround going to a week, I won't notice.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 07:34:56 AM »
Heh, didin't think of that.

Plus, any online outfits that may have been nuts enough to use USPS probabaly bailed, which will give FedEx & UPS an added boost they weren't expecting!

::danceban::

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 08:40:49 AM »
So I'm understanding there will be no more first class service?

Honestly, the post office needs to be shut down. If shut down, private enterprise would pick up the slack and be much better.

No, but you'll still pay first class postage   ::facepalm::

RickZ

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 10:02:29 AM »
When I was a kid, I remember twice a day mail delivery (except on Saturday); companies in Manhattan still get twice a day mail delivery (because the volume is so huge).  There does not need to be a Saturday delivery; Saturday window hours for those who work, yes, but not Saturday delivery.  But the pensions are still a financial killer.

As for cutting 5% of the workforce, can you imagine just how dead that deadwood must be?

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 10:06:01 AM »

As for cutting 5% of the workforce, can you imagine just how dead that deadwood must be?

I doubt we'll notice the cuts.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 10:19:12 AM »
When I was a kid, I remember twice a day mail delivery (except on Saturday); companies in Manhattan still get twice a day mail delivery (because the volume is so huge).  There does not need to be a Saturday delivery; Saturday window hours for those who work, yes, but not Saturday delivery.  But the pensions are still a financial killer.

We're getting twice a day delivery right now.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 03:35:43 PM »
USPS is FOS they're hiring down here,one of my wife's friends just started working full time for them. This is a retirement scam.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 11:19:51 AM »
I just checked the tracking for a gift I bought last week.  The retailer delivered it at the fedex location at 6pm on Dec 7 and at noon the next day, the 8th, it arrived 4 states away. Today, the 9th, it has left the fedex facility and will be delivered to me on Dec 12th.  I should point out that the information said it will be delivered by the USPS.   I live ONE HOUR away from where it landed yesterday. Fedex got it across 4 states in 18 hours and it takes the post office 3 days to get it to me an hour away.

Oh, I know I just don't understand how mail delivery works.
/

This hookup between fedex and PO is called fedex smartpost.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 11:31:44 AM »
I just checked the tracking for a gift I bought last week.  The retailer delivered it at the fedex location at 6pm on Dec 7 and at noon the next day, the 8th, it arrived 4 states away. Today, the 9th, it has left the fedex facility and will be delivered to me on Dec 12th.  I should point out that the information said it will be delivered by the USPS.   I live ONE HOUR away from where it landed yesterday. Fedex got it across 4 states in 18 hours and it takes the post office 3 days to get it to me an hour away.

Oh, I know I just don't understand how mail delivery works.
/

This hookup between fedex and PO is called fedex smartpost.

::hysterical::  and   ::gaah::