Author Topic: R.I.P. Incandescent Light Bulb  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
R.I.P. Incandescent Light Bulb
« on: December 11, 2011, 04:39:47 PM »
Remy: Missing You - The Incandescent Light Bulb Song

I'm still steamed at this...I'll go to candles once my bulbs run out, those mercury-laced POS can get stuck up the nearest Dem's butt!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: R.I.P. Incandescent Light Bulb
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 08:27:21 PM »
Funny.  He also has a good lampooning lawyers that makes me laugh every time I watch it.

I hate to be pushed back to the days of the pioneers but I'm thinking about investing in some good old fashioned oil lamps.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 08:36:45 PM »
I got a case of those 100 hour candles, maybe I outta think about lamps too...

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 08:59:52 PM »
In searching for alternatives I came across this site:

Olive Oil Lamp for Emergencies
(warning: looks like a lefty site but I thought it was interesting and she references a book called I Didn’t Know That Olive Oil Would Burn! from Lehman's (which also covers burning other oils).  They also carry all the stuff to make your own olive oil lamps.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 09:07:11 PM »
Oh, olive oil definitely does burn, as does vegetable oil.  Fill a container with some water, add a layer of oil and a floaty plastic piece to hold the wick and, baby, you got lamp light.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 09:08:42 PM »
Oh, olive oil definitely does burn, as does vegetable oil.  Fill a container with some water, add a layer of oil and a floaty plastic piece to hold the wick and, baby, you got lamp light.

::thumbsup::

I like simple.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 10:38:07 PM »
Getting back to the incandescent light bulb...

I was in my local grocery store today and the 100 watt bulbs were all on closeout. The name brand bulbs from GE and Sylvania and the generic grocery store brand bulbs, too. I have several dozen already but I picked up another half a dozen boxes. Got some of the more expensive GE Reveal (natural light) bulbs, too. The 100 watt flood lights were also on closeout so I bought all they had. I have a sh*tload of bulbs.

The girls at the checkout remarked on the bulbs and I asked them if they had stocked up. They were clueless. I explained. They were incredulous. Oh, well...live and learn.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 11:10:11 PM »
Getting back to the incandescent light bulb...

I was in my local grocery store today and the 100 watt bulbs were all on closeout. The name brand bulbs from GE and Sylvania and the generic grocery store brand bulbs, too. I have several dozen already but I picked up another half a dozen boxes. Got some of the more expensive GE Reveal (natural light) bulbs, too. The 100 watt flood lights were also on closeout so I bought all they had. I have a sh*tload of bulbs.

The girls at the checkout remarked on the bulbs and I asked them if they had stocked up. They were clueless. I explained. They were incredulous. Oh, well...live and learn.

My husband recently went to Home Depot and decided to yank the clerk's chain a bit about the light bulbs.  He began by saying, "I hear you won't be carrying these bulbs much longer...."

::hysterical::

As you said Trap...clueless.  The guy had no idea and not sure he really understood after my dh told him.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 12:03:46 AM »
I truly hope that this law is repealed.

I think that it might be. It's a fact that the great unwashed have absolutely no idea that this is coming. I would like to think that when the sh*t hits the fan there will be a sudden "come to Jesus" moment and we will suddenly see a zombie apocalypse of new citizen activists. Mixed metaphors, I know, but I think they work.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 12:10:51 AM »
Bachmann was at the forefront of trying to get this repealed, both as a minority member, and as a majority member of the House. The GOP left her swing in the breeze.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 07:14:00 AM »
Yeah, our so-called leadership lacks in the leadership department as much as they lack in the courage department...if they ccan't follow Bachmann on something that seems like such a no-brainer like this, what hope have do we have of them doing anything more serious?

::)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 10:39:37 AM »
And it bears repeating, the Republican chair of the House Energy committee was one of the sponsors of this legislation, which was signed into law by W.

Both main parties are filled to the brim with statists.  It's reminding me of the old adage about the Model-T, you can have it in any color you want as long as it's black.  We can vote for whichever party we want as long as they're Big Government statists.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 05:09:43 PM »

Ahh!! The original UN-candle  that's so '80s

::hysterical:: ::danceban:: ::hysterical::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 06:47:02 PM »
Are you suggesting I'm showing my age, big boy?  ::evilbat::

Works as good now as it did then.

(The floaty plastic piece can be cut from any plastic carton or container with a flat side, then an awl used to put a hole in the middle.)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 06:56:10 PM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"