Author Topic: ol remus and the woodpile report  (Read 6413 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
ol remus and the woodpile report
« on: March 08, 2011, 09:51:55 PM »
http://www.woodpilereport.com/

Current issue.  There's something on there for everybody w/links, too much to put here.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Re: ol remus and the woodpile report
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 12:26:28 PM »
What?  Nobody found anything on there worth discussing?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Roy Rogers

• When in doubt, empty the magazine.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 12:33:07 PM »
What?  Nobody found anything on there worth discussing?

"The short wave receiver has upper and lower sideband capability"

short wave rocks!!!

::cool::
If the Army and the Navy ever look on Heaven's scenes,
They will find the gates are guarded by United States Marines.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 12:40:25 PM »
What's the diff between ham and short wave again?

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 12:46:46 PM »
What is the difference between short wave and ham radio?
i'm buying a radio for my husband and need to know what the difference between short wave and ham radio?

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
TECHNICALLY.... nothing.

Clarification time.

Ham Radio (official name - Amateur Radio Service) uses some of the same frequencies that are commonly described as "shortwave".

Historically, "shortwave" are frequencies in the "HF spectrum - 3 to 30 MHz" while "long wave" was below 3MHz and above the audio band of 300kHz. In the early days of radio, it was more difficult to produce a signal above 300kHz, and until very recently, 500kHz was an iinternationaldistress frequency. The AM broadcast band starts just above that, at 540 kHz....

Today, shortwave broadcasters are ssponsoredby countries, the government owns many of the broadcast stations and broadcasts the flavor of the country. Also, many broadcasters are religious in nature, getting the word out to people that are not allowed to participate in religious activity in their home country.

The USA has broadcast transmitters that broadcasts US news, as well as Armed Forces News and TV to US military stationed overseas (AFRTS).

Ham radio on the other hand is personal point to point communications. There are networks that are dedicated to public service (Red Cross, Salvation Army etc) disaster services, non-commercial email.

Another huge difference, typical sshort warereceivers are usually simple receivers while ham radio receivers are more sensitive, more selective, higher quality receivers, and the price reflects the difference.

Ham radio uses "single side band" that cannot be received without a "SSB" selector (filter) on the basic shortwave receiver.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 12:55:52 PM »

One is baked in a conventional oven the other in a microwave.

Offline Roy Rogers

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 12:56:50 PM »
What's the diff between ham and short wave again?

The pork spent on the development of the capability!

(non-techie explanation)

::thumbsup::

Offline Roy Rogers

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 01:01:33 PM »

Don't adjust your TV!

WE control the vertical!

WE control the horizontal!!!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 01:04:59 PM »

Don't adjust your TV!

WE control the vertical!

WE control the horizontal!!!

Hooboy!  I'm old enough to remember that.

Thank you, all, for the technical and non-technical  ::) 'splanations.

Offline Roy Rogers

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 01:08:08 PM »
Governor Walker searching for Fleebaggers!

The Chameleon

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 01:14:09 PM »
I'm a ham radio operator, and I spend all of my time on HF frequencies, which is considered 'shortwave'. shortwave actually refers to the length of the electromagnetic length  of the radio wave.

Broadcast AM stations transmitting on say, 650 KHZ, has a full wave length of 1513 feet, whereas, the full wave length of a amateur station operating on a frequency of 14.3 MHZ would be 68 feet, thus the term 'shortwave'.

I wonder if there are any other hams on this forum? QRZ?
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline Roy Rogers

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 01:20:54 PM »
I'm a ham radio operator, and I spend all of my time on HF frequencies, which is considered 'shortwave'. shortwave actually refers to the length of the electromagnetic length  of the radio wave.

Broadcast AM stations transmitting on say, 650 KHZ, has a full wave length of 1513 feet, whereas, the full wave length of a amateur station operating on a frequency of 14.3 MHZ would be 68 feet, thus the term 'shortwave'.

I never saw that coming radioman!

::hysterical::

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 01:26:51 PM »
I never suspected that I would see a thread mention ham radio on a political forum.  :)
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 01:41:09 PM »
I never suspected that I would see a thread mention ham radio on a political forum.  :)

Gunsmith just installed a base-station cradle in his truck.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 12:28:51 PM »

And here I thought you were a disk jockey!
 ::whatgives:: ::hysterical::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson