Author Topic: Wanted: Blue Collar Workers  (Read 2500 times)

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Wanted: Blue Collar Workers
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 07:05:41 AM »
About all I can do now is an oil change, replace some bulbs...cheap cheesy stuff.

Stuff used to be made to last, no it's only made to last so long!
 ::gaah::

A bulb replacement on my car cost me $2 for the bulb and $22 for labor.  My husband couldn't do it because of the way it's put together.

I keep telling my kids about when I was growing up people got things repaired...like toasters and TVs (if they didn't try to fix it themselves).

I remember the day when you could raise the hood , climb in and practically stand next to the engine while you did your own tune up . Well ... maybe not ... but close !

Damn right!  I could replace belts, head gaskets, distributors, alternators, hoses, plugs, thermostats, carburetors, batteries, all that crap...now, you can;t get at anything!  I remember being able to see and work through the fricken firewall...and even underneath plugs and filters seemed a hell of a lot easier to get at!

I'm tellin' ya, it was all a leftist conspiracy to make most American's less self reliant!!!

::gaah::   ::cussing::   ::angry::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 09:45:03 AM »

Ah yes.  Earlier I was going to mention the need for intentional replacement
of older parts to assure extended function during an emergency.  Replacing functional fuel pumps, alternators, etc. with new one's instead of waiting for failure which usually occurs at the most inconvenient times.

My dutiful, beautiful, F150 (100k) - quit running.  She was perfect, as always, when I went into the store, when I got back in the cab and turned the key she just spun. And spun. 

The mechanic said "no fuel pressure", so a new pump was installed and we were all happy.  For two days.  As it turns out Ford PAS (passive anti-theft system) when it doesn't recognize the ignition key (an intermittent event and switching between two keys would produce more positive but still random results), turns off the fuel pump.  You guessed it, it's back at the shop and the mechanic is working out the problem.

Caveat: FoMoCo wanted $50.00 just to check the key and oh yeah, the not running truck had to be there also.  After a short conversation with the clerk it became apparent  that the test was a "go, no go" or the same "test" I had been performing. By denying them I may have saved $500.00 for them to hunt and peck then repair the problem.   My cost may be $500.00 but it will be $500.00 less than the Dealership price.

I'm not complaining about the truck, it has provided excellent and dependable service. 

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 10:09:31 AM »
 About all I can do now is an oil change, replace some bulbs...cheap cheesy stuff.

A bulb replacement on my car cost me $2 for the bulb and $22 for labor.  My husband couldn't do it because of the way it's put together.

I keep telling my kids about when I was growing up people got things repaired...like toasters and TVs (if they didn't try to fix it themselves).

I remember the day when you could raise the hood , climb in and practically stand next to the engine while you did your own tune up . Well ... maybe not ... but close !

I can remember seeing my Dad do just that on big trucks - right in the engine compartment he went.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2011, 11:35:57 AM »
Thus my plan. For my next truck, I'd like to get an older model Ford (early 70') in good condition and drop in a Cummins diesel. Lots of power with great gas mileage. Plus, easy to work on. ::danceban::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2011, 12:04:30 PM »
I wish I would have kept a couple of my older vehicles...

::facepalm::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2011, 01:20:18 PM »
I'm starting to even think about an old VW made into something rugged, sort of like the Kubelwagen the Germans used in North Africa.  Not only no electronic crap, no water cooling system either.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2011, 01:37:57 PM »
Popular motor to throw in dune buggy's!

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 04:53:01 PM »
Seriously, if the car has some miles on it check to see what's next on the failed part list. 120k miles and the water pump is bad, change the alternator, belt and tensioner while you're at it. Labor is a bit more and you can get a break on it for doing it while everyhting is apart. Economies of scale come into play. Replace with top quality parts to. Use rebuilt parts if the car is temporary otherwise use new parts. Check your battery's condidtion regularly and clean the dirt and grime of the top, make it clean. Clean terminals. Low voltage can overtax electrical parts and cause a myriad of problems all the way to transmission solenoids.

Best advice to check out a forum that emphasizes your make and model and be familiar with the potential breakdowns, fixes. These people know their cars and can help you diagnose or even give the methods of repairs. Happy wrenching.

Oh, btw, rear engine dragsters are easiest to work on!
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2011, 09:51:08 PM »

A bulb replacement on my car cost me $2 for the bulb and $22 for labor.  My husband couldn't do it because of the way it's put together.

You sure as hell saw the ground under the engine.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie