Author Topic: Internet "Kill Switch"  (Read 3534 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Internet "Kill Switch"
« on: December 13, 2011, 07:52:17 AM »
Don't like the Senate Bill, need to know more about this House Bill, but as to the latter no nose in the tent should be allowed!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/post/overkill-on-internet-piracy/2011/12/11/gIQA9TK6nO_blog.html
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Internet "Kill Switch"
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 11:37:34 AM »
"I'm from the government and I'm here to help". ::doublebird::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 12:02:31 PM »
"To punish and enslave"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 10:35:52 AM »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 11:31:13 AM »
Gizmodo reports that the virus causes the user to be sent to fraudulent websites by changing DNS settings and even prevents them from visiting security sites that could help rid them of the virus.

(Related: Seven charged for infecting 4 million computers with ‘false advertising’ malware)

In the United States, a half a million computers were reportedly infected with a security firm finding at least one infection in half of the Fortune 500 companies and 27 government agencies. What’s to be done? Krebs on Security reports that any computer still infected by March 8, 2012, will have Internet service disconnected from it:

“Yes, there are challenges with removing this malware, but you would think people would want to get this cleaned up,” said Rod Rasmussen, president and chief technology officer at Internet Identity. “This malware was sometimes bundled with other stuff, but it also turns off antivirus software on the infected machines and blocks them from getting security updates from Microsoft.”

Computers still infected with DNSChanger are up against a countdown clock. As part of the DNSChanger botnet takedown, the feds secured a court order to replace the Trojan’s DNS infrastructure with surrogate, legitimate DNS servers. But those servers are only allowed to operate until March 8, 2012. Unless the court extends that order, any computers still infected with DNSChanger may no longer be able to browse the Web.

Rasmussen said there are still millions of PCs infected with DNSChanger. “At this rate, a lot of users are going to see their Internet break on March 8.”

Krebs reports the FBI saying that it is currently working on ideas to minimize impact on users in that event. Rasmussen says that cleanup, even if the deadline is extended, will still take a long time given the number of computers and says in addition to being “an interesting social experiment”, it would be a faster fix.

Gizmodo reports that once you know you’re computer has a problem, that the fix isn’t too painful or time consuming. You can check to see if you’ve been “victimized” here.

Wouldn't one have known his computer had the virus before the FBI made their temporary fix?

I'm kinda wanting to click on the "see if you've been "victimized" link and nervous about doing it.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 11:36:18 AM »

So if a Fortune 500 company clicks to go to Amazon and is redirected
by this virus they can't fix it, it's a national security issue, they need
the FBI to fix it.  What am I'm missing here?

Help, my computer is infected call the Geek Squad ::slap:: NO!
Call the FBI, they're the professional cleaners.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 11:37:29 AM »
I'm kinda wanting to click on the "see if you've been "victimized" link and nervous about doing it.

You first.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 11:37:45 AM »
"I'm kinda wanting to click on the "see if you've been "victimized" link and nervous about doing it."

Heh, me too!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 11:37:58 AM »

You first.

;D

Offline JohnnyW

• Newb

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 02:55:07 PM »
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=5398

MALWAREBYTES is easiliy the best scanner/remover out there.  It often finds stuff my corporate scanner (Symantec) will let by

Offline JohnnyW

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 04:32:45 PM »
I run Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, and Ccleaner once a week.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 05:14:01 PM »

I don't run Ccleaner as often as should be but it sure speeds things up unlike the Micro
Soft update that just dumped a wad of gum somewhere in the works.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 12:29:49 PM »
I have Norton and run Spybot & SPywareBlaster & Ccleaner, I'll give this Malwarebytes a shot, see if it catches anything missed by the others.

ETA - Well, look at that!  This little bugger found three things all the others didn't!

Thanks for that link JohnnyW!   ::hat-tip::
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 12:54:14 PM by Libertas »

Offline JohnnyW

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 06:02:17 AM »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 07:05:54 AM »
Coinkey-Dink or not? 

Anti-trust reviews building against Amazonia & Goolag (and presumably the rest) and Goolag "outage" revives the "Kill Switch" concerns.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-06-02/did-government-just-test-internet-kill-switch

BigTech has a lot of chickens wanting to come home to roost...unfortunately it falls to the government to solve (or make worse!) since the people (mostly the walking dead) don't GAFF to alter their thoughts and actions.

Oh well, shyt happens.