Author Topic: Christopher Hitchens  (Read 1856 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Christopher Hitchens
« on: December 16, 2011, 12:21:42 AM »
RIP

Christopher Hitchens, the author, essayist and polemicist who waged verbal and occasional physical battle on behalf of causes left and right, died last night after a long battle with cancer. He was 62.

Hitchens death was announced in a statement from Conde Nast, publisher of Vanity Fair magazine.

The statement says he died Thursday night at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston of pneumonia, a complication of his esophageal cancer.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
Re: Christopher Hitchens
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 03:36:10 AM »
Whether I ardently agreed or vehemently disagreed with Hitchens , I always found him articulate , engagingly acerbic and thoroughly interesting .

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 07:05:52 AM »
He was refreshingly clear-minded for a Lefty in the weeks and months after 9/11. He was a liberal who understood the threat of radical Islam.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 09:50:05 AM »
He was a liberal in the classic sense, before liberal became a dirty word.  Agree or disagree, he was always more than just a moronic talking point.

RIP.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 10:19:50 AM »

RIP

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 11:14:21 AM »
RIP
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 01:15:19 PM »
I knew he didn't have too long.  Shame.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 09:13:12 PM »
  RIP
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 09:57:01 AM »
Gods speed and RIP
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 10:11:02 AM »
Gods speed and RIP

Ironic. I wonder what he discovered.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 12:58:15 PM »
My, my.  That Allahpundit's a real "quester", ain't he?  Daring "real" Christians to aver Christopher is damned, or else they don't believe their own gospels.  And under the guise of "asking - really", not trolling.

Atheist ass. hole.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 01:51:53 PM »
"Real" Christians don't judge people as damned. Real Christians know there is only one who can do so. We can share what the bible says about faith and salvation - and it would seem to follow that unless Christopher Hitchens had a deathbed conversion, he would appear to be damned. But there is only one who makes the judgment and knows what the judgment is, and it isn't any mortal alive. I'm unwilling to try stepping into God's shoes, and I would warn any other Christian who dares be haughty enough to presume to know the mind of God - or the heart if Christopher Hitchens as he took his last conscious breath, for that matter.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 07:51:22 PM »
They need to worry about their own relationship with God.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie