Author Topic: Light Bulb Ban...It's Here (Thanks, Idiot Republicans)  (Read 7095 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Light Bulb Ban...It's Here (Thanks, Idiot Republicans)
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2013, 10:28:57 AM »

Thanks for the detailed information on wattage for the LEDs, Weisshaupt; much appreciated with the help in figuring that out.

I second that.

I did pick up more name brand bulbs at the dollar store yesterday.  I couldn't resist getting the 75 watts and 60 watts.  I don't know if I ever need them but when my oldest saw them she said  "currency,mom"

I've been considering LED but hadn't gotten as far as long in my reading so Weisshaupt's info helps.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2013, 12:15:19 PM »
I've been considering LED but hadn't gotten as far as long in my reading so Weisshaupt's info helps.

Keep in mind I am recommending particular brands and models of LED .. they are not a commodity product- at least not yet. This is mostly because of light color.  If you aren't picky about the color , a lot of off-brand LEDs will probably last as long, cost less, and provide more light for less wattage.  The light tends to the Blue/Green and its a bit like being under a standard long bulb Fluorescent - the Phillips bulbs I am pushing , I am pushing because the yellow filter inside the bulb ( or on the casing)  filters that light and has a warmer  spectrum that is much closer to the one you are used to with incandescent. If you don't care about color, because its the garage, or whatever, then feel free to experiment with other bulbs.  If you really want a bulb that you replace and never notice its not an incandescent when you turn it on, those two phillips are pretty much the best you will find.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2013, 05:18:37 PM »
Just got back from Home Depot-- they are selling my recommended Siemens 50 and 60 watt bulbs for $15 each now - so if you are one of those who don't like to buy things in the interwebs, the brick and mortars are offering the same prices now.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2013, 07:49:31 AM »
For LEDs?  I got to stop by for some other stuff, might check out my local store.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2013, 08:30:54 AM »
I want 100 watt LEDs that fit my existing lights.  Not giant 60 watt LEDs that are a better fit for my deck, where I'd rather have something north of 100 watts anyway. 

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2013, 10:31:52 AM »
I want 100 watt LEDs that fit my existing lights.  Not giant 60 watt LEDs that are a better fit for my deck, where I'd rather have something north of 100 watts anyway. 

The 60 Watt replacements are pretty bright - more than 60 Watts in my opinion. For $15 its an easy to justify experiment. Don't like it, it becomes the bulb in the attic or other seldom used location.  I use the 50 watt replacements that look like normal bulbs  in most locations and the fact that I never think about the lighting is all the indication I need that they are adequate.  Again, at $15  its sort of a no brainer to try one.

They do make a  Philips 100 Watt replacement but its still  on the pricey side .. another year or two and these will be in the $15 range too.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2013, 11:49:44 AM »
Now THAT's what I'm talking about.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2013, 11:33:31 AM »
Home Depot had my Siemens LED bulbs for $13 yesterday. The Incandescent bulbs the previous owner bought  were crap - I have lost over 12 in the last month.  Everything is being replaced with these.

Guessing Game: Which sconce has the 13 watt LED and which is the 60 watt incandescent?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2013, 11:35:49 AM »
60w further down the hall?

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2013, 11:41:04 AM »
Are they sold under the Siemens brand? I have not seen them at the Home Depot stores around here. I bought one LED bulb for experimentation, a 60 watt equivalent bulb from Samsung. It's very bright, and the color is like an incandescent. I use it in my reading light because it generates so very little heat compared to the incandescent. But it was $30. They'll have to get much cheaper before I get more.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2013, 11:46:11 AM »

Yep. What clued you in?  (I know the photography isn't that great- I don't have independent f-stop control on my phone..)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2013, 11:57:24 AM »

Yep. What clued you in?  (I know the photography isn't that great- I don't have independent f-stop control on my phone..)

I went on the theory that the old bulb would be duller in any side-by-side comparison.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2013, 11:58:23 AM »
Are they sold under the Siemens brand? I have not seen them at the Home Depot stores around here. I bought one LED bulb for experimentation, a 60 watt equivalent bulb from Samsung. It's very bright, and the color is like an incandescent. I use it in my reading light because it generates so very little heat compared to the incandescent. But it was $30. They'll have to get much cheaper before I get more.

WHOOPS- Meant Philips. Not Siemens. -- These

My local Home Depot was selling them for $13 a piece. (the above link still has them over $20) They were  $15 a few weeks ago. I suspect that folks round here don't buy em because they resent being told what light bulbs to use, and figure this is just another greenie-hippie crap ripoff like CCFLs are.

But even at $30, they will probably pay off just on durability. A bulb you only replace every 20 years is going to cost less than one you replace every 1-2 years.
Add in the energy savings of running 13 watts instead of 60 watts and even at $30 its likely to be at least a wash - providing they actually last the rated 20 years and don't crap out early ( my oldest are 4 years - different - cheap, off brand with a more green CCFL like  color - and no failures yet..)  The best part is you will very seldom have the experience of flipping a switch and still being in the dark.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 12:02:48 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2013, 12:00:01 PM »

CostCo had some closer to Weisshaupts amount, cannot recall the brand, I have two different at my house I am using, I'll have to check on that when I get home.  I know one was more expensive than the other...maybe that was the one from Home Depot, crap, CRS strikes again!

ETA - Aha! Thanks Weisshaupt, that is the ones I have from Home Depot, the other one (whatever it is!) was from CostCo.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2013, 12:01:48 PM »

I went on the theory that the old bulb would be duller in any side-by-side comparison.

Yeah, they are. Even against "new" bulbs.  The 60 Watt replacement is brighter than any 60 watt I have ever used.  But its NOT so noticeable in real life. The camera accentuated the difference.  Its just warms my heart that I won't have to change that particular bulb again till my kids are done with college. Maybe longer.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2013, 12:03:04 PM »

Yeah, they are. Even against "new" bulbs.  The 60 Watt replacement is brighter than any 60 watt I have ever used.  But its NOT so noticeable in real life. The camera accentuated the difference.  Its just warms my heart that I won't have to change that particular bulb again till my kids are done with college. Maybe longer.

::thumbsup::

Funds freed up for more pressing needs!

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2013, 12:30:59 PM »
My Samsung LED 60 watt replacement is spec'd at 900 lumens.  I just looked at a pack of 60 watt incandescents that I put in the porch lights, and they're spec'd at 800 lumens. So at least in this case, the LED is putting out about 100 more lumens.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2013, 08:51:55 PM »
The other one I have (haven't compared yet) is made by Feit Electric Co, all made in China of course.   ::)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2013, 09:11:46 PM »
The other one I have (haven't compared yet) is made by Feit Electric Co, all made in China of course.   ::)

I had a bunch of FEIT incandescent bulbs I purchased at the recommendation of a contractor- bust ones I ever had - Lasted at least double the time others did. THE one LEDs I tried from them  2 years ago, however, was too blue/green.  Yes they were bright enough and worked. I just want a warmer spectrum.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2013, 06:45:34 AM »

I had a bunch of FEIT incandescent bulbs I purchased at the recommendation of a contractor- bust ones I ever had - Lasted at least double the time others did. THE one LEDs I tried from them  2 years ago, however, was too blue/green.  Yes they were bright enough and worked. I just want a warmer spectrum.

I'll have to test it, I can always stick it outside.