Author Topic: Light Bulb Ban...It's Here (Thanks, Idiot Republicans)  (Read 7099 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Light Bulb Ban...It's Here (Thanks, Idiot Republicans)
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2013, 11:13:45 PM »
I went by Home Depot on the way home from work tonight, and they now carry Cree brand LED bulbs, $12.97 for a 60 watt equivalent. I know Cree is one of the leaders in LED technology (they make the LEDs in the awesome Fenix flashlights mentioned elsewhere on the forum) so I picked one up. It has a glass outer body just like an incandescent bulb, with a rubber covering like a rough service bulb. Light output is good (800 lumens) and at this price LED is starting to become a feasible option. I certainly like them better than the CFLs.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2013, 06:57:43 AM »
Interesting, will keep an eye out for those.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2013, 08:39:00 AM »
I went by Home Depot on the way home from work tonight, and they now carry Cree brand LED bulbs, $12.97 for a 60 watt equivalent. I know Cree is one of the leaders in LED technology (they make the LEDs in the awesome Fenix flashlights mentioned elsewhere on the forum) so I picked one up. It has a glass outer body just like an incandescent bulb, with a rubber covering like a rough service bulb. Light output is good (800 lumens) and at this price LED is starting to become a feasible option. I certainly like them better than the CFLs.

Yeah, I saw those yesterday.. but stayed with my tried and true..please report back on how good the Cree's are. The Phillips have been dropping in price- and it may well be  because there is finally a decent competitor for their wares.  Capitalism strikes again.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2013, 09:34:47 AM »

Yeah, I saw those yesterday.. but stayed with my tried and true..please report back on how good the Cree's are. The Phillips have been dropping in price- and it may well be  because there is finally a decent competitor for their wares.  Capitalism strikes again.

OH NOES!!!   ::ohno::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2013, 11:31:49 AM »

OH NOES!!!   ::ohno::

Alert the crony capitalist protection team, ASAP!!!

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2013, 10:19:11 PM »

Picked up the Cree Brand 60 Watt equivalent at Home Depot today to give it a try.... and wouldn't you  know it, the basement stair light went out just as I got home.  I really like the rubber coating - and the color spectrum  is very close to the what you would want ( Really this seems to be very similar to the 50 Watt Siemens equivalent, but brighter,  and that rubber coating helps to hide the "yolk" of the yellow filter inside the glass.. ) 

The only downside is slightly higher power draw - 9.5 Watts instead of the Phillips 8  -  but the more standard look and form factor make this my new favorite.  From now on I will be buying the Cree's..  PLus I don't have to fight with the stupid Philips blister pack ...

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2013, 09:32:37 AM »
I think I like the Cree better too, going to pick some more up.  The Philips aren't bad, and the blister packs are easily defeated by my serrated segment of my pocket knife, but I think I like the throw of the light better with the Cree's.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2013, 01:57:32 PM »
I think I like the Cree better too, going to pick some more up.  The Philips aren't bad, and the blister packs are easily defeated by my serrated segment of my pocket knife, but I think I like the throw of the light better with the Cree's.
I bought one months ago and put it in the light most used. Satisfied thus far with the natural light.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2013, 03:47:12 PM »
Yeah I am liking the Cree too.  I put mine in the entryway on a little foyer table in a timer controller lamp and have virtually forgotten that it's not a normal incandescent bulb. The light is about the same color and intensity, and the bulb looks just like an incandescent. I need to pick up a few more. I think they will be a very good choice for lighting when I have to run off of generator power, pulling only 9-10 watts.

- Yours Truly

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2013, 04:05:01 PM »
Yeah I am liking the Cree too.  I put mine in the entryway on a little foyer table in a timer controller lamp and have virtually forgotten that it's not a normal incandescent bulb. The light is about the same color and intensity, and the bulb looks just like an incandescent. I need to pick up a few more. I think they will be a very good choice for lighting when I have to run off of generator power, pulling only 9-10 watts.

for the $12 they are running, I think they are a good deal pretty much anytime you loose an incandescent. Its time to buy them now before they are widely accepted and planned obsolescence takes over.. just like it did with incandescent ( which could be engineered to last many more years than they do) .  Even if you only get half what they say, its still less than $2 a year of lighting - not to mention the energy savings on top.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2014, 10:19:53 PM »
Just tried the Feit Electric "performance LED" 3000K color temperature bulb - My local Ace Hardware had them on sale for $10.  Uses 9.8 Watts.
As good as the Cree - but with better light dispersion-- the whole bulb lights up.. and there are no hot spots..

This is my new favorite.. too bad my Ace only had a couple left..

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=28686516

Sale ends Jan 31st..  but $10 is a good price for what you are getting here.  Feit was my brand for incandescent bulbs back when- they lasted longer..

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2014, 04:58:10 AM »
Are these lights still all made in China?
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2014, 07:10:56 AM »
Yeah, the Feit's are made in China, I know that, I think the Philips might be as well.  Will have to look at the Cree's to know for sure.

Most things are made over there now...

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2014, 08:22:35 AM »
AFIK, all the new bulbs are made in China. I avoid - at all costs - buying anything from China.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2014, 09:06:13 AM »
AFIK, all the new bulbs are made in China. I avoid - at all costs - buying anything from China.

Yeah, don't worry, you will get your wish. Once the dollar goes you will be unable to afford any products from China, or anywhere else for that matter.  I believe  China is going to be the new dominant Super Power for  decades to come.  They will take over most of the Pacific - either militarily or economically. These Islands in Japan are a test. Soon they will just invade, and the US will do nothing- because china has us by our Treasury Bonds, and they can sink this ship overnight.

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2014, 02:38:10 PM »
Anybody tried this guys incandescent bulbs?   

http://www.newcandescent.com/

Evidently heavy duty bulbs are exempt from the ban.   Thank goodness for loopholes.....................

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/12/24/a-manufacturer-found-a-loophole-around-that-incandescent-light-bulb-ban/

I am thinking of ordering from there.    He is claiming longer service life then a typical incandescent.    Maybe that due to being made better?  Plus they are made here in the USA.   

I cannot use CFL's as they give me headaches due to the flickering and the buzzing noise they make.  Even if they didn't do that,  I still think the light is awful, turns everything green  and makes reading nearly impossible.    I think the marketplace would have rejected them completely,  so its probably why they had to ban the good bulbs.......

Most halogens bulbs are still on the market too,  even though they are technically incandescent.   Halogens have probably the best and most natural light (sun like) you can get from a light bulb.   The main problem with them is the heat that gets cast off,  though on a freezing cold day like today I don't mind it. 

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2014, 08:13:47 PM »
Yeah, the Feit's are made in China, I know that, I think the Philips might be as well.  Will have to look at the Cree's to know for sure.

Most things are made over there now...

The Crees are made in the USA (in NC to be exact).

- Yours Truly

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2014, 10:24:28 PM »

Thanks! Now then - to find some place that sells them.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2014, 07:59:19 AM »

Thanks! Now then - to find some place that sells them.

Home Depot should have them.  Usually sell 40's and 60's, at least that is mostly what I see available.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2014, 08:41:01 AM »
Home Depot should have them.  Usually sell 40's and 60's, at least that is mostly what I see available.

The 40 and 60 Watt replacements are reasonably priced-- there are 75 and 100 Watt replacements, but they are not worth the $35-50 to buy them. I have seen them both at Home Depot and at Lowes on occasion.

The Crees are a great bulb - (watch the color temperature though! They have a "cool" version that is too blue for me) I have replaced nearly half the lights in the house with them and I am very pleased with them. The Feit is better from appearance ( no hot spot and good light dispersion)  and, at least on sale,  its cheaper. The Crees are usually $12-13 around here.