Author Topic: Now comes Newt Gingrich's reputation assassination by accusation  (Read 1392 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Now comes Newt Gingrich's reputation assassination by accusation
« on: December 17, 2011, 07:23:19 AM »
The entirety of this piece: Newt Gingrich was never charged with bribery in 1997 because there was zero evidence upon which to base a charge.

The entire purpose of this piece: To begin the discussion of what the allegations against Newt Gingrich would've been if he had been charged with bribery in 1997, taint him with allegations in the process, and put his campaign on the defensive.

There will never be another honest election in this country until the media is taken down.

FBI considered sting aimed at Gingrich

It is a curious case in the annals of the FBI: The bureau considered a sting operation against then-House Speaker Newt Gingrich after sifting through allegations from a notorious arms dealer that a $10 million bribe might get Congress to lift the Iraqi arms embargo.

The FBI ended up calling off the operation in June 1997. It decided there was no evidence that Gingrich knew anything about the conversations the arms dealer was secretly recording with a man who said he was acting on behalf of Gingrich’s then-wife, Marianne, according to people with knowledge of the investigation.

But details of the case, which became public this week in an article and documents posted online by a nonprofit journalist, show how a series of second- and third-hand conversations alleging that the top man in Congress might be for sale caught the attention of federal investigators.

“There are so many falsehoods,” Marianne Gingrich said Thursday. “The FBI, they should have been protecting me, not going after me. This is scary stuff.”

Her lawyer, Victoria Toensing, said: “There was no basis whatsoever for an investigation. These were people puffing, which means they were making up access to a high-level government person.”

Gingrich’s presidential campaign did not provide immediate comment when asked for response Thursday.

The investigation began after the arms dealer, Sarkis Soghanalian, told federal prosecutors and FBI agents in Miami that Marianne Gingrich said during a meeting in Paris in 1995 that she could provide legislative favors through her husband. The case progressed to the point that it was deemed a major investigation requiring approval in Washington.

Soghanalian, a convicted felon who is now dead, said he wanted the speaker’s help in getting the arms embargo lifted so he could collect an $80 million debt from Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein, according to an FBI document filed to obtain continuing wiretap authorization for the case. The facts in the document were “developed through a cooperating witness,” whom The Washington Post has confirmed was Soghanalian.

Soghanalian said Marianne Gingrich assured him “she would be able to do anything [Soghanalian] requested of her ‘as long as they had an understanding,’?” the document states.

Several months after the meeting in Paris, a man who had been on the trip with Gingrich and Soghanalian told the arms dealer that the embargo could be lifted for the right price. In conversations recorded by Soghanalian, the man, a Miami car salesman named Morty Bennett, stated that Marianne “wanted 10 million dollars to get the job done, five million of which would go directly to Marianne Gingrich,” the document states.

Bennett said in an interview Thursday, “I knew somebody and introduced them to somebody and that was it. Thank you for calling, and don’t call me back.”

The document and the existence of the aborted sting was first revealed this week in a 6,400-word story by Joseph Trento, who operates a Web site called DC Bureau (www.dcbureau.org). Trento interviewed Soghanalian several times before his death in October at 82.

The investigation foundered because there was no evidence against Newt Gingrich to establish “predication” — a basis to believe the target was engaging in or about to engage in criminal activity — according to people familiar with the investigation who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the case. FBI policy requires predication before significant undercover operations are initiated.

“There wasn’t any direct evidence that he knew anything,” said a source who spoke on the condition of anonymity. “The rules are you just can’t go in there and do an integrity check on someone.”

Bruce Udolph, the former chief federal corruption prosecutor in Miami, said he could not confirm the existence of the investigation but added, “With respect to Speaker Gingrich, I am not aware of any direct, credible evidence linking him to any conspiracy to receive a bribe from anyone.”

The Justice Department referred calls to the FBI, which declined to comment on the case.

The Armenian-born Soghanalian was a high-volume arms dealer nicknamed “the Merchant of Death” who was indicted by federal authorities in South Florida for conspiring to sell U.S. helicopters to Iraq in violation of a U.S. ban. His 61 / 2-year sentence was reduced to two years in 1993 because of his cooperation with federal authorities...

Much more at link....
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 07:26:40 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

Re: Now comes Newt Gingrich's reputation assassination by accusation
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 10:15:31 AM »

One knew it was going to happen; it's their playbook but
one never is prepared for the scurrilous lies and distortions.
gNewt has done enough to suppress the conservative vote
without their extreme hyperbole. If they continue building
their attack on lies gNewt may become a sympathetic
character.  These type of attacks will also cause research
into his true deeds and may resolve them positively just as
"death bed" rumor has been resolved.

=============

Victoria Toensing, nice lady, married to Joseph E. diGenova.  
They make a lovely couple and are formidable lawyers.  

[blockquote]
Victoria Toensing, founding partner of the Washington D.C. law firm diGenova & Toensing, LLP, has extensive experience in all three branches of government solving problems for individuals, corporations, trade associations, and other organizations.  She is an internationally-known expert on white collar crime, terrorism, and national security and intelligence matters.

Toensing represented "Jane Doe Thompson" in a successful lawsuit against the CIA.  "Thompson," the first woman Chief of Station in Latin America, reported her male deputy for wife-beating and disciplined other subordinates for misconduct ranging from public drunkenness to threatening to kill security guards.  Thompson sued when she became the subject of an Inspector General investigation based on these subordinates' false claims.  In 1997, Toensing was named Special Counsel by the U.S. House of Representatives to probe the International Brotherhood of Teamsters.  In 2007, Toensing was retained by the New York State Senate to investigate then-Gov. Eliot Spitzer in the Troopergate matter. ...

Joseph E. diGenova, founding partner of the Washington, D.C. law firm of diGenova & Toensing, LLP represents individuals, corporations and other entities before the Federal courts, Congress, and U.S. cabinet departments and agencies on criminal, civil, administrative and investigative matters.  In December 1992, he was appointed Independent Counsel in the Clinton Passport File Search matter.  He was appointed Chairman of the Grievance Committee of the D.C. District Court in 1995 by the judges of that court.  In 1997, he was named Special Counsel by the U.S. House of Representatives to probe the International Brotherhood of Teamsters.  As a result of that assignment, he was appointed by the U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, to sit on the Independent Review Board, which oversees the Teamsters pursuant to a 1989 Consent Decree.  He is on that Board with former FBI and CIA Director William Webster and former U.S. Attorney General Benjamin Civiletti.  In 2007, Mr. diGenova was retained by the New York State Senate to investigate then-Gov. Eliot Spitzer in the Troopergate matter. ...
 [/blockquote]

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 11:50:34 AM »
Gosh, who could see gNewt as a threat...? ? ?

This smacks of Ruling Class ditry tricks in the ranks, not anything from DemonRats...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 12:36:36 PM »

This smacks of Ruling Class ditry tricks in the ranks, not anything from DemonRats...

Yeah, didn't catch it all, on the radio, but the commentator was making
the point that much of the past criticism of gNewt was from RINOs. Rush
was also making a point that he did do this and that conservative thing.
He appeared to be illustrating that gNewt would be better than Romney.
He likes to play "think" games so more will unfold.

It will be a shocking if Newt is the more conservative than Romney.
I still pray Iowa will be refreshing surprise.
I'm having a Maalox and yogurt moment.

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 09:25:09 PM »

Yeah, didn't catch it all, on the radio, but the commentator was making
the point that much of the past criticism of gNewt was from RINOs. Rush
was also making a point that he did do this and that conservative thing.
He appeared to be illustrating that gNewt would be better than Romney.
He likes to play "think" games so more will unfold.

It will be a shocking if Newt is the more conservative than Romney.
I still pray Iowa will be refreshing surprise.
I'm having a Maalox and yogurt moment.

From what I'm getting around here and my GOP prescient supervisor is they favor RP. WTF they are lost  ::bashing::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline old crank

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 12:19:54 AM »
As for Conservative, what exactly is wrong with Perry? 

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 12:26:46 AM »

He said "you haven't got a heart" in one of his first
debates & it got Conservatives so bloody eyed they
haven't heard a word he's said since.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 12:42:40 AM »
Perry is soft on immigration in Texas. Well, sort of. He signed a bill that would have passed without his signature that granted in-state tuition pricing for college to the children of illegals. It has been spun that he granted them free tuition.

Hindsight being what it always is he should have let that one pass without his signature.

Oh yeah, almost forgot...he also held down schoolgirls and injected them with instant retardation elixir.

Perry is supposed to be pretty hot on the campaign stump so now that the debate crap is over for a while maybe he will have an opportunity to get back in it. I'm still hoping that Santorum will get some traction, though.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 11:03:26 AM »

haven't heard a word he's said since.

Yeah, well...gNewt and Mittens can say that and the Establishment wets itself in excitement...

::bashing::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 11:07:58 AM »

Momentum P. II

That's the reason I've called for a part-time congress,
cut their pay in half, cut their time in Washington in half,
cut their staff in half.  Send them home, let them get a job
like everybody else back home has and live within the laws
of which they passed.

They worked a hundred and fifty one days last year, how
much more would constitute part-time?

I would suggest to you maybe a hundred and forty days
every other year like we do in Texas.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 01:16:48 PM »

haven't heard a word he's said since

Ya know, you're probably right about that in some respects.  After fighting off that POS Amnesty bill in '06, and having to hear from the Left and the RINOs how racist/horrible/jingoistic we in the opposition were, Perry should have damn well known better than to go there.  Conventional wisdom is "people have short memories", so the bad acts should be performed as long before election time as possible, right?  Well, the conventional wisdom is wrong in many cases, this case in particular.  The American people said not only NO, but HELL NO, and it's a symptom of how dense Perry is -- and Gingrich -- and anybody else who believes they can simply override our HELL NO for the purposes of getting elected by importing and pandering to a new demographic.

Forget picking at the scab, it's still an open sore as far as I'm concerned.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 01:17:44 PM »
Perry is soft on immigration in Texas. Well, sort of. He signed a bill that would have passed without his signature that granted in-state tuition pricing for college to the children of illegals. It has been spun that he granted them free tuition.

Hindsight being what it always is he should have let that one pass without his signature.

Oh yeah, almost forgot...he also held down schoolgirls and injected them with instant retardation elixir.

Perry is supposed to be pretty hot on the campaign stump so now that the debate crap is over for a while maybe he will have an opportunity to get back in it. I'm still hoping that Santorum will get some traction, though.

Copy that.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 01:24:09 AM »
It's the oldest and dirtiest ploy in the political playbook and one used in the past by Democrats to great effect . Whether what you say about your opponent is true or false isn't important . What IS important ... accuse him of something he has to deny . The seed of doubt thus planted in the public psyche will never completely die .

Barry Farber used to tell a story in which deception and reliance on the ignorance of the electorate was employed quite effectively . During a particularly close governor's race in a certain southern state , the incumbant spoke of his opponent thusly to a rural crowd :

" My opponent is an admitted homo sapien and his daughter is a known thespian ! "

He won re-election quite handily !

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 01:42:26 AM »
"It's the seriousness of the charge ........ ".

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 07:15:10 AM »
Funny.  The accusations against Duh Wun are numerous and documented...

::whatgives::