Author Topic: Idaho Lawmakers Approve Bill Restricting Teachers Union  (Read 3668 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Idaho Lawmakers Approve Bill Restricting Teachers Union
« on: March 09, 2011, 11:48:46 AM »
Idaho Lawmakers Approve Bill Restricting Teachers Union

BOISE, Idaho (AP) — A bill that would phase out tenure for new teachers and restrict collective bargaining on their salaries and benefits is on its way to the Idaho governor.

The GOP-backed measure cleared its final hurdle Tuesday in the state Legislature, where it passed the Idaho House on a 48-22 vote. Nine Republicans crossed party lines to oppose the bill.

The state’s teachers union, the Idaho Education Association, says it would gut teacher rights. It plans to protest Wednesday.

Supporters say the plan will give more power to Idaho’s locally elected school boards in labor relations issues. Opponents say it’s a slap in the face to teachers and a mean-spirited move to dismantle their union.

Republican Gov. C.L. “Butch” Otter has backed the education reforms.

2 videos @ theblaze.com...
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Idaho Lawmakers Approve Bill Restricting Teachers Union
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 11:52:18 AM »
What "rights"?!  This is totally out of hand, this talk of rights.  They have a right to associate; they do not have a right to demand anyone deal with them as a collective.

Good for Idaho and a pox on the Rs that crossed to the other side.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 11:53:28 AM »
Those 9 repub's might find themselves homeless soon...

There are a number of little prairie fires popping up, hope this is an ever-increasing trend!   ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 12:01:27 PM »
If things hold, Libertas, I expect a conflagration in 2012.  ::praying::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 12:09:33 PM »
 ::thumbsup::

::praying::  ::praying::  ::praying::

Offline michelleo

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:39:31 PM »
Talk of "rights" by public employees always irk me.  I'm a taxpayer.  It's my money your spending.  Where's my seat at your bargaining table?!  I still can't get over the fact that the very government they want making all my decisions for me can't be trusted to offer them reasonable compensation and benefits.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:30:52 PM »
Exactly. My standard retort is "So who or what is the Taxpayers' Union?" I mean, if we're going to talk collective bargaining, that should imply that both parties are bargaining collectively. That's the theory behind collective bargaining in the private sector, you have a large company with the collective capital of all the investors, etc, so the workers form a union to approach the negotiating table on more even terms.

Where is that in the public sector? Who is the "collective" representing the taxpayer? It's damn sure not the elected officials, who are in essence union representatives themselves. In the public sector, we effectively have a situation where the union is on both sides of the negotiating table.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 10:40:59 PM »
Exactly!  The folks footing the bill are not at the table at all.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 10:44:09 PM »
Exactly!  The folks footing the bill are not at the table at all.

You bring that up to one of these freaks and it's "you just hate teachers who work hard for the children" time.

The inherent conflict of interest is explainable to a 7 year old. They can't rebut it with anything but vitriol.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 11:16:01 PM »
Yeah, because those teachers sure have been putting out a world class product haven't they?

- Yours Truly

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 07:36:00 AM »
Has anyone noticed lately that when conservatives try to rectify a grossly out of control situation they are called "mean spirited" while breaking it off in the taxpayer's a** is called "progress" ?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 07:40:07 AM »
Rights my arse!  You have to have like-minded parties, both interested in negotiating, to broker a deal.  It is an agreement you are after, rights have nothing to do with it!  Effing morons!  Rights are confered by our creator.  The ability to make contracts or enter into any fricken agreement requires the willing participation of two or more parties!

So many people are so fricken devoid of common sense...argghhhh...I just want to throttle them!

(Was that mean spirited? Good!)

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 07:44:30 AM »
Rights my arse!  You have to have like-minded parties, both interested in negotiating, to broker a deal.  It is an agreement you are after, rights have nothing to do with it!  Effing morons!  Rights are confered by our creator.  The ability to make contracts or enter into any fricken agreement requires the willing participation of two or more parties!

So many people are so fricken devoid of common sense...argghhhh...I just want to throttle them!

Libertas ... I would say that your post was calm , reasoned and in keeping with the "spirit" of the discussion .... SO  F*CK  'EM !

Offline michelleo

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 08:10:59 AM »
Yeah, because those teachers sure have been putting out a world class product haven't they?

Yeah, 80% of schools are failing by "no child left behind" standards.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 08:17:16 AM »

Libertas ... I would say that your post was calm , reasoned and in keeping with the "spirit" of the discussion .... SO  F*CK  'EM !

Yeah, frack 'em.  I'll say it loud and I'll say it proud!

::thumbsup::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 08:19:05 AM »

Yeah, 80% of schools are failing by "no child left behind" standards.

But the remedy is always the same!  The taxpayer must be made to fork over more money, that will fix it, they promise!  /end sarc

::gaah::

Frack 'em!

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 02:48:52 PM »
I also hate it when they conflate the "right" to collective bargaining with the right of free assembly. Yes, of course you have the rights of free association and assembly, but that does not imply the right to force other persons or entities to deal with you as a collective.

Here's a thought experiment: why don't ten of us go into McDonald's and announce that we have decided to form a Customers' Union and henceforth will not pay more than $3 for a hamburger, large fries, and large drink. If they object, we can piously remind them of our right to free association and collective bargaining.

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 03:10:07 PM »
I also hate it when they conflate the "right" to collective bargaining with the right of free assembly. Yes, of course you have the rights of free association and assembly, but that does not imply the right to force other persons or entities to deal with you as a collective.

Here's a thought experiment: why don't ten of us go into McDonald's and announce that we have decided to form a Customers' Union and henceforth will not pay more than $3 for a hamburger, large fries, and large drink. If they object, we can piously remind them of our right to free association and collective bargaining.

If we're gonna do it, let's do Ruth's Chris.

::cool:: ::beertoast:: ::newyear::

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 06:54:49 PM »
I'm up for that!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 07:18:37 PM »
Heh.  I like it!   ::thumbsup::

I heard Bob Davis this morning describe it something along these lines...

Walk up to someone, ask them if their car is for sale (the more expensive the car the better) and if they say no, say "But I want it and I will only pay $10k for it!"  They respond "Pound sand!"...has an agreement been reached?  Uh no!  Why?  Leftard - "Your infringing upon my right to bargain by refusing to bargain!"  Conservative - "Life is full of tough lessons, you have no right to force me to do jack squat, so frack off!"

::hysterical::