Author Topic: Smart meters and The Smart Grid  (Read 3992 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Smart meters and The Smart Grid
« on: December 20, 2011, 02:48:24 PM »
This information was collected and posted by a guest blogger at Gateway Pundit; there is more there.

The Smart Grid is being sold as a modernization of the power grid which includes a distribution system that will contain a two way communication between your home and the utility company. This communication system will allow 'Demand Response Appliances' (the creation of which is being spearheaded by GE) the ability to 'talk' to the utility company and inform them of it's energy use, time of operation and function. Demand Response Appliances also allow the Utility company the ability to shut them off during times of Peak Energy use in order to cut down on the demand of the power grid, thereby reducing the need for rolling blackouts.

The Energy Industry, and the Obama administration, claim that the Smart Grid will allow the utility company the ability to provide you, the consumer, with detailed information about the energy use of everything in your home and in turn will save you money on your energy bill by helping you adjust your energy use. Not to mention help lower carbon emissions.

How detailed that collected information will be has been a hot button issue for privacy advocates and what information will actually be collected has not exactly been known, until now.

The North American Energy Standards Board (NAESB), with the cooperation of the Environmental Protection Agency, has completed Priority Action Plan 10 (PAP-10) or as it is officially titled the NAESB Energy Usage Information Model. PAP-10 details the standards for the type of information that will be collected through the Smart Grid.

The membership of NAESB is comprised of over 300 energy creators and distributors from across the United States including the Ameren Corporation, Laclede Gas and Honeywell just to name a few. According to NAESB's website the organization:

"serves as an industry forum for the development and promotion of standards which will lead to a seamless marketplace for wholesale and retail natural gas and electricity, as recognized by its customers, business community, participants, and regulatory entities.

According to the document, the standards set forth in the NAESB Energy Usage Information Model (PAP-10) for the collection of information "forms the basis of the required Business Practice Standard."

Here is a list of SOME of the information that is to be collected through the Smart Grid as apart of that "Required Business Standard":

CO2 created by your Energy Use- Environmentalists see the Smart Grid as a tool they can use to curb carbon emissions and save the planet from 'Global Warming'. The information collected through the Smart Grid would help the Federal Government place a restriction on the amount of CO2 created by an individual house hold especially after a cap and trade type law is in place. While this may seem like an 'unrealistic' concept, there is no other viable explanation for the collection of your house hold CO2 production.

Electricity, Gas Use and Current Rates- The Smart Grid will allow the utility company to adjust the price of electricity, and possibly gas, by the minute based upon Peak Demand, this is referred to as 'Real Time' or 'Dynamic' Pricing.

For example, electricity will be more expensive to use at 3 P.M. during a hot summer day than it will be to use at 3 A.M. The Smart Grid will allow you the ability to program your Demand Response Appliances to run at 'Off Peak' times in order to help you save money.

The irony of this concept is if everyone begins to run their Demand Response Appliances at a certain 'Off Peak' time, say 3 A.M., then that 'Off Peak' time has the potential of becoming a new 'Peak Use' time and therefore may not save you very much money. Besides that, who is going to stay up to do laundry at 3 A.M.?

Water, Heat and Cold Use including Hot Water, Steam, Chilled Water and Ice- By tracking not only your water use, but how much energy you use to create hot water, chilled water and ice, the Smart Grid becomes the ultimate 'Green Police State' tool. That is because it will have the ability to track your hot water use, possibly even the length of your hot showers, how much chilled water you are drinking through your dispenser in your fridge and even track how many times your Ice Maker is refilled with water.

Imagine a future where the Government says that you can only take 3 minute hot showers or create only so much ice in order to help cut down on carbon emissions. The Smart Grid gives them the ability to not only monitor that information but through Demand Response Appliances they will also have the power to shut off your water heater or ice maker once you have reached your allowed usage. Again crazy as it sounds, what other possible reason do they have for collecting such information as Hot Water and Ice Cube Useage?

Refuse (trash) and Sewerage Use- The only reason I can come up with for collecting information on your refuse is that in the future the Government might possibly make recycling mandatory. Someday you may see 'Trash Police' digging through your garbage to make sure your recycling properly or be fined.

TV Licence Use- TV Licence does not currently exist here in the United States. But in the United Kingdom citizens are forced to pay a 'fee' for a Licence in order to watch or record television shows on their TV or over the Internet. Hard to believe I know but this is a statement taken from the British Licensing Authority website in 2003:

"Using a television without an appropriate licence is a criminal offence. Every day we catch an average of 1,200 people using a TV without a licence. There is no valid excuse for using a television and not having a TV Licence, but some people still try - sometimes with the most ridiculous stories ever heard. Our detection equipment will track down your TV. The fact that our enquiry officers are now so well equipped with the latest technology means that there is virtually no way to avoid detection."

-- from the official website of the British Television Licensing Authority, May 2003"

I assume that someone in the Progressive movement is planning on passing such a law here in the U.S., otherwise why would this be included in the type of information collected? Again, there is no other reason for the collection of this information other than Big Brother and Big Business keeping track of your TV habits.

Internet Use- Yes you knew it was coming... The Smart Grid will have the ability to track your Internet use. Why? Well by the time you reached number 6 on the list of things they are going to track I figured you would know the answer by now. The Government through the Energy Sector (Or maybe the future seizure by the Government of the Smart Grid) and the Smart Grid, are going to record and control every aspect of your life. The Internet has been an annoyance for those in power because of Grass Roots groups, like the Tea Party, have effectively used it to expose corruption and lies. Again, what other reason can you possibly think of for them to track your Internet use other than control?

Now during my research I discovered a document that lists the comments made by member organizations in NASEB while they drafted PAP-10. Here it is:

Link.

Not all of the membership is on board with the collection of this much private information, but the EPA sure is.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

Re: Smart meters and The Smart Grid
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 03:55:33 PM »

Charging highest rates during the time of highest need
in order to control usage is part of that picking winners
type of thing.  If they are the winner we must be...

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 06:54:07 AM »
Just reqaffirms my resolve to refuse this BS in my home!  My ongoing meter-war with the city over a smart water meter has entered a dormant phase...they haven't bothered trying to contact me for some time...makes me suspicious what these no good neerdowell's are up to?!

After reading this all it is missing is a tie-in to Agenda 21!

And comments like this "I don't understand why?" make my head explode!  Don't be a pussy, you know "why"?!  CONTROL!!!

::gaah::

Anyway, to hell with 'em all!!!

::mooning::

::rockets::

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 08:06:52 AM »
A couple/few months ago, a vid was posted somewhere here on the subject of smart meters.  The representative of the group disseminating the information advised people who were opposed (as we all should be) that if one allows the meter installation, it's taken as consent to have your information transmitted; iow, one consents to have one's privacy invaded.  Their website has a form letter to send to the power company whereby one withholds consent.

The letter may not stop it, but, for legal purposes, your opposition is on the record.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
The letter may not stop it, but, for legal purposes, your opposition is on the record.

Well, now. THAT'S a comforting thought.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 09:12:43 AM »
Smart Meters

Use the letter below to forbid smart meter installation (or modify the letter to demand the meter be removed).

Energy Customer's Name
Street Address
City State Zip

To:
Energy Provider
Street Address
City State Zip

Date of letter

NOTICE OF NO CONSENT TO TRESPASS AND SURVEILLANCE, NOTICE OF LIABILITY

Dear (Energy Provider) and all agents, officers, employees, contractors and interested parties,

If you intend to install a "Smart Meter" or any activity monitoring device at the above address, you and all other parties are hereby deny consent for installation and use of all such devices on the above property. Installation and use of any activity monitoring device is hereby refused and prohibited. Informed consent is legally required for installation of any surveillance device and any device that will collect and transmit private and personal data to undisclosed and unauthorized parties for undisclosed and unauthorized purposes. Authorization for sharing of personal and private information may only be given by the originator and subject of that information. That authorization is hereby denied and refused with regard to the above property and all its occupants. "Smart Meters" violate the law and cause endangerment to residents by the following factors:
1. They individually identify electrical devices inside the home and record when they are operated causing invasion of privacy.
2. They monitor household activity and occupancy in violation of rights and domestic security.
3. They transmit wireless signals which may be intercepted by unauthorized and unknown parties. Those signals can be used to monitor behavior and occupancy and they can be used by criminals to aid criminal activity against the occupants.
4. Data about occupant's daily habits and activities are collected, recorded and stored in permanent databases which are accessed by parties not authorized or invited to know and share that private data by those who's activities were recorded.
5. Those with access to the smart meter databases can review a permanent history of household activities complete with calendar and time-of-day metrics to gain a highly invasive and detailed view of the lives of the occupants.
6. Those databases may be shared with, or fall into the hands of criminals, blackmailers, corrupt law enforcement, private hackers of wireless transmissions, power company employees, and other unidentified parties who may act against the interests of the occupants under metered surveillance.
7. "Smart Meters" are, by definition, surveillance devices which violate Federal and State wiretapping laws by recording and storing databases of private and personal activities and behaviors without the consent or knowledge of those people who are monitored.
8. It is possible for example, with analysis of certain "Smart Meter" data, for unauthorized and distant parties to determine medical conditions, sexual activities, physical locations of persons within the home, vacancy patterns and personal information and habits of the occupants.
9. Your company has not adequately disclosed the particular recording and transmission capabilities of the smart meter, or the extent of the data that will be recorded, stored and shared, or the purposes to which the data will and will not be put.
10. Electromagnetic and Radio Frequency energy contamination from smart meters exceeds allowable safe and healthful limits for domestic environments as determined by the EPA and other scientific programs.

I forbid, refuse and deny consent of any installation and use of any monitoring, eavesdropping, and surveillance devices on my property, my place of residence and my place of occupancy. That applies to and includes "Smart Meters" and activity monitoring devices of any and all kinds. Any attempt to install any such device directed at me, other occupants, my property or residence will constitute trespass, stalking, wiretapping and unlawful surveillance and endangerment of health and safety, all prohibited and punishable by law through criminal and civil complaints. All persons, government agencies and private organizations responsible for installing or operating monitoring devices directed at or recording my activities, which I have not specifically authorized in writing, will be fully liable for any violations, intrusions, harm or negative consequences caused or made possible by those devices whether those negative consequences are justified by "law" or not..

This is legal notice. After this delivery the liabilities listed above may not be denied or avoided by parties named and implied in this notice. Civil Servant immunities and protections do not apply to the installation of smart meters due to the criminal violations they represent.

Notice to principal is notice to agent and notice to agent is notice to principal. All rights reserved.

Signature

From a commenter:

I want to notify all that simply sending a certified letter is NOT ENOUGH. The installers of? the smart meters are contracted and have no knowledge of your certified letter. You must also post a letter directly ON your analog meter and also padlock your analog meter so it can not be removed. They can not remove and install a Smart Meter if you have the denial of consent laminated and duct taped to your meter.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 10:26:13 AM »
Good info, I'll mark this for "action"!

::thumbsup::

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 12:47:10 PM »
I signed up for the "green-energy" newsletter with my local power company. It's mostly a bunch of mindless leftist drool displaying their cognitive dissonance on their own industry, but I figured it would give me a heads-up should they entertain the notion of deploying these smart meters.

From a commenter:

I want to notify all that simply sending a certified letter is NOT ENOUGH. The installers of? the smart meters are contracted and have no knowledge of your certified letter. You must also post a letter directly ON your analog meter and also padlock your analog meter so it can not be removed. They can not remove and install a Smart Meter if you have the denial of consent laminated and duct taped to your meter.

Beware: in most jurisdictions the meter set belongs to the power company, not the consumer. You run the risk of arrest for theft if you put a lock on the meter set. Also, I did find out that in my jurisdiction the power companies (electric and gas) have right~of~way rights to the meter base. They have the right to come onto my property to service their property with or without my permission. Your letter may turn out to be symbolic only.

Additionally, I read this article yesterday: PG&E restores power to SmartMeter protesters (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/16/BUSO1MDM61.DTL#ixzz1h6P8GqBF)

Consumers independently replaced their meter sets in protest with analog meter sets. In response the power company cut power to their houses at the pole. They restored power temporarily after their actions set off a sh!tstorm of outrage. Apparently the whole sordid mess is under review by the California Public Utilities Commission.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 10:38:05 AM »
I agree it is symbolic, but it is important.  I read our state statues and I see nothing preventing people from denying smart meter installation in their homes, the law seems to read that the homeowner has the right to offer to read the meter in their home and report it to the utility (regardless if it is city run or a public utility company) and that the entity can request access to verify the readings being provided are accurate.  Beyond that I see no law mandating compliance with smart meter installation.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 05:01:59 PM »
I gopt another letter from the city, I guess they got tired of leaving door hangers on my door when I don't answer/not home.  Nothing new in it, just asking for access again.  I'll ignore it like I always do.  I don't want that crap and I think they know they do not have a legal right to demand it otherwise they'd cite a statute.  Screw 'em.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 11:41:08 AM »
I think my city gave up on me.  That's a shame.   ::evil::

And, if more reasons to loath these statist tools is desired, well, here you go...we can add government-controlled weapons of house destruction to the list.

I cannot believe what a total blast these things are!  Everybody should be clamoring for these suckers!!!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 11:35:11 AM »
This is why you resist anything labelled "smart"...if it says "smart" it is guaranteed to be "stupid".

https://www.weaselzippers.us/470803-texas-power-companies-remotely-raise-temperatures-amid-energy-shortages/

Offline Lady Virginia

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2021, 10:03:54 PM »
I just got a letter recently telling me they need to do periodic inspection of gas meters and if I don't allow them in they will shut it off.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2021, 08:01:08 AM »
Take a picture of the meter to them with a note that informs them court action follows any threatened cut off, then find out who the head honcho is and protest in front of his house.  VA doesn't have cold weather rules?  Most northern states do.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2022, 11:04:42 AM »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2022, 11:20:43 AM »
We're having to pay Duke $14 a month to NOT have a Smart Meter.   ::cussing::

ETA:  Good to see you back.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 11:27:39 AM by Pandora »

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2022, 12:36:34 PM »
My power company keeps spamming me with Google "smart" controllers.  Not a chance in hell.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2022, 06:36:21 PM »
If you can't see the writing on the wall - its time to get solar.

Still fighting to get mine in of course - Power company  just said it was going to cancel my service request if I  didn't answer a question I already answered two weeks ago, on the phone, when I called them lie to see if there was anything else they needed to know.. so I am still trying to get down to just one meter.

I am about to just say F it and put in my  solar application with them and tell them to fix it if they have a problem
When asking permission doesn't work - break the f'ing rules and then they will be all over it

But seriously.  Solar.  Battery Tech still sucks and it will double the price.  But these Sol-ark inverters  will give you power during the day EVEN IF the power grid is down
The newest model even has a 200 AMP pass through -  so no more critical loads panel.  If the grid goes down everything is powered as best as it can be with what the inverter has got--  For an extra 2K you can get an EMP hardened system (https://www.sol-ark.com/sol-ark-15k-all-in-one/ One inverter to rule them all.. heh)
But prices are still about the same - about 12K for a roof mounted 6000 Watt array which is what most will need -- but get out your power bill and plug in your info here:

https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/

It will tell you how big an array  you need for present needs.

Where i am at I can expect about 600 K- watt hours in January, and 900Kwh in july

Yearly I would expect around 9000KW-hrs yearly, and expect about 20 years of generation.  This "locks in " a price of about 0.8 cents KW-Hr for the next 20 years ( currently the lowests rate in the nation)  if the system costs $15K ( which mine did because I ultimately had to use a ground array)   When I  add batteries, I  would expect that to climb to something closer $0.16 cents. ( which is 1/2 of the highest rate in the nation)   The point here  is we can only expect the powers that be will be continuing to try and make us all poor because beggars are easier to please. Energy rates will not be going down.   Even without batts in the system  you are getting the nations best rate and can power things during the day if the power company goes away -- if you add batteries, you are paying a middling rate but you are independent and can power your place day and night. The sol ark lets you avoid an time of day rate charges by switching to battery during those times.   If you can still be net metered ( the meter runs backward so for every KW hour you send to them , they must send you a KW-Hr for free)  Also  at some point and depending on where you are - your renewable energy credits  may actually become a tradable commodity - like a carbon credit. Its all bullsh*t, but if its bullsh*t you make money off of - who cares?

Also if you get it in this year you still get the big tax break - so that 15K I spent?    26% is paid for by the government (I think its 21 % next year) 

This is also totally something you can do yourself. The "one-box" inverters like the sol ark make this dead easy.  You wire "strings" of about 8 panels (3000 watts)  in series and connect them to the inverter
Depending on codes you need a "rapid shutoff system" if roof mounted--  meaning there is a box you insert every two panels that will kill the power if someone pushes a button ( radio controlled)  Then there is a AC line that  runs to your electric panel  as the main lines.   This way you avoid the god damn stupid "120% rule" 120% rule..   Older homes had 60 amp panels ( which is basically the most MY inverter can supply via solar alone) - this inverter  can provide 125 amps  when totally off grid.  (I have a 12K inverter without the 100 amp pass though.. oh well ) 

I am of course happy to answer any  questions if you attempt it.  Its not all that  hard, and electricity is going to be a huge survival advantage.  Its time and they are obviously trying to freeze and starve everyone so they can put you in a pod and so you own nothing.  Now. Is. The. Time. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2022, 08:51:42 AM »
Simple case of a dumb pilot hitting a smart grid?

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/plane-crashes-high-voltage-power-lines-leaving-120000-without-power-maryland

I don't know about Maryland...but around here tall towers have lights...shorter towers like these have reflective materials...and I thought a fairly uniform height...

There is no mention of weather, no mention if by an airport...guess we'll have to see if there were any pilot incapacities...

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2022, 11:25:51 AM »
Simple case of a dumb pilot hitting a smart grid?

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/plane-crashes-high-voltage-power-lines-leaving-120000-without-power-maryland

I don't know about Maryland...but around here tall towers have lights...shorter towers like these have reflective materials...and I thought a fairly uniform height...

There is no mention of weather, no mention if by an airport...guess we'll have to see if there were any pilot incapacities...

What are those round balls the size of beach balls on power lines for?
When the law becomes a ruse, lawlessness becomes legitimate. -unknown