Author Topic: Tennessee moves to constitutionally ban state income/payroll tax  (Read 5336 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Assuming this measure becomes law, we'll be able to watch Tennessee become a mecca for business relocation almost overnight.

Tennessee moves to constitutionally ban state income/payroll tax

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The Senate sponsor of a measure to amend the Tennessee Constitution to ban an income tax says the proposal will attract more businesses to Tennessee, even though opponents say it could hurt the state down the road.

The legislation sponsored by Republican Sen. Brian Kelsey of Germantown was approved 28-5 in the Republican-controlled Senate on Wednesday and is expected to have little trouble passing in the House, which is also dominated by the GOP.

"I think we have a lot more support in the House," Kelsey said after the vote.

The proposal, which would go on the ballot in 2014, would prohibit the state Legislature and counties and cities from passing either an income tax or a payroll tax.

Kelsey said such legislation should be attractive to businesses because of the "tough economic times."

"This is going to help us bring in jobs to Tennessee," he said. "We can say not only do we not have an income tax, but we'll never have an income tax."

Republican Sen. Rusty Crowe of Johnson City agreed the legislation is necessary for assurance.

"It's not always going to be upheld," said Crowe, referring to past attempts to pass an income tax in Tennessee.

However, Democratic Sen. Beverly Marrero of Memphis said the proposal could tie the hands of future state lawmakers who may want to take a different approach in dealing with the state's budget situation.

"I think it is bad ... for Tennessee," she said.

Other senators voting against the proposal were: Democrats Ophelia Ford and Reginald Tate, both of Memphis; and Thelma Harper and Douglas Henry, both of Nashville.

Jim Von Bramer, a member of Tennesseans for Fair Taxation, said in a news release that the legislation is irresponsible.

"Permanently blocking an income tax lets the wealthiest Tennesseans walk away from paying a fair share of state and local taxes forever while the rest of us pay much more of our income on food taxes and the basic necessities we buy from our local retailers," he said. "Our state budget gap will likely only grow as the federal budget shrinks. We are headed into a dark place, and now the state Senate says we should throw away our flashlight."
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Tennessee moves to constitutionally ban state income/payroll tax
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 01:35:23 PM »
Reading between the lines there, you see that Memphis wants to keep the ability to impose an income tax, because nobody there will have to pay it anyway. It's the same debate nationwide - the tax recipients voting to raise taxes on the payers.

I get so sick of whining about the "rich" not paying their "fair share". Considering the top 5% of earners already pay the lion's share of taxes, they're quite right, they aren't paying their "fair share".
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Roy Rogers

• When in doubt, empty the magazine.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 01:43:41 PM »
Tennessee: Home state to David Crockett!

Tennessee is aggressively marketing this in home lot development sales advertisements.
If the Army and the Navy ever look on Heaven's scenes,
They will find the gates are guarded by United States Marines.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 01:44:58 PM »
I'm betting that when Predator Don gets here he'll be going  ::whoohoo:: ::whoohoo:: ::whoohoo:: ::whoohoo:: ::whoohoo::

and maybe a little  ::newyear:: ::newyear:: ::newyear:: ::newyear:: ::newyear::

and some  ::praying:: ::praying:: ::praying:: ::praying:: ::praying::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 01:48:08 PM »
Why the whining from the usual assortment of leftist trash?  Tennessee has NEVER had an income tax.  If the leftist trash don't like that, why the bleep did they move to Tennessee?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 01:51:23 PM »
Why the whining from the usual assortment of leftist trash?  Tennessee has NEVER had an income tax.  If the leftist trash don't like that, why the bleep did they move to Tennessee?

The same reason they move to NC, Oregon, Idaho, Kentucky - Red States; they've so screwed up the Blue States, even they don't want to live there anymore, so they relocate and start the same sh*t all over again.  Brainless Locusts.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Roy Rogers

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 01:55:21 PM »

The same reason they move to NC, Oregon, Idaho, Kentucky - Red States; they've so screwed up the Blue States, even they don't want to live there anymore, so they relocate and start the same sh*t all over again.  Brainless Locusts.

Is is time yet for a tactical nuke?

"Welcome to earth! Now THAT's what I call a close encounter!"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 02:06:10 PM »
 ::hysterical::

Just about, Roy.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 02:11:58 PM »
That's why I can't get too excited about the red states gaining population while the blue states are losing population. It just means the red states are absorbing locusts fleeing the consequences of their own destructive policies in the blue states.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 02:58:58 PM »
That's why I can't get too excited about the red states gaining population while the blue states are losing population. It just means the red states are absorbing locusts fleeing the consequences of their own destructive policies in the blue states.

One of the most disappointing examples to me is Colorado.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Roy Rogers

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 03:05:30 PM »

One of the most disappointing examples to me is Colorado.

The left is unable to advance south into Castle Rock. Something about that gay rest stop in the pass seems to stop them there.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 04:34:40 PM »

And after they arrive they start voting. 
It screws the demographic to hell.

hemm

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 06:00:19 PM »
I'm betting that when Predator Don gets here he'll be going  ::whoohoo:: ::whoohoo:: ::whoohoo:: ::whoohoo:: ::whoohoo::

and maybe a little  ::newyear:: ::newyear:: ::newyear:: ::newyear:: ::newyear::

and some  ::praying:: ::praying:: ::praying:: ::praying:: ::praying::

well here's a PIPE dream........I'd be celebrating like that too but we have a better chance of a totus resignation than taxes leaving VA..............

Hell, that'd be a crackpipe dream hopped up on more steroids than every major league sports team combined.....times 2!!!

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 06:36:27 PM »
We don't have a state income tax in Tennessee, but it hasn't stopped democrats from raising this issue to "adopt" a state income tax and "lower" the sales tax. Was a huge issue when Bredesan (D) ran for governor a 2nd term. All we heard was the income tax was dead....but it would always rear its head. It is true, the dems of Memphis are all for it because their voters wouldn't pay. They detest the sales tax because memphis must pay into the system.

We all know what happens in states who take on a state income tax, with the promise to leave the sales tax alone...it never happens. States end up with two taxes to be raised rather than one.

We are a right to work state with no state income tax. Our sales tax is 9.75%. The fair taxation groups are either liberal in nature or misguided republicans.

If we could annex Memphis to Arkansas our IQ would double ( no hick jokes... ::guitar::) and state revenue would skyrocket because the deadbeats would be out of the system.

Oh, and you may want to bing Tenncare if you want another sampling of how bad socialized medicine becomes.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 04:56:04 AM »
Even though I lived in Tennessee for a time and enjoyed the lack of an income tax I wonder about the legality of such a law banning future legislation . Could a state make collective bargaining by government employees a permanent and inviolable legal right ? I don't know but it's certainly not something we'd want to see happen . I would tend to think that leaving things as they are would make more sense . It's pretty obvious that up to this point the voters of The Volunteer State have pointedly refused to levy an income tax on themselves and doubtful that they will in the forseeable future . At least it provides some food for thought .

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 07:44:11 AM »
Looters are like locusts...how true.

The remedy may be the same as well...

;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 10:28:50 PM »
Even though I lived in Tennessee for a time and enjoyed the lack of an income tax I wonder about the legality of such a law banning future legislation . Could a state make collective bargaining by government employees a permanent and inviolable legal right ? I don't know but it's certainly not something we'd want to see happen . I would tend to think that leaving things as they are would make more sense . It's pretty obvious that up to this point the voters of The Volunteer State have pointedly refused to levy an income tax on themselves and doubtful that they will in the forseeable future . At least it provides some food for thought .

It is a worthy point to say that constitutions should not be trifled with, and that if they are too changeable, then geese and ganders will eventually get around to messing with things that ought not be messed with.

I see this as a good measure though. It doesn't cut off the ability to collect revenue - only the ability to collect it through an income tax. Progressive income tax is the primary method of redistributing wealth from the productive class to the unproductive class and public sector, and Tennessee is saying they want nothing to do with it constitutionally. That is a recipe for economic growth and development, as businesses and workers can have confidence going forward that progressive taxation will not happen in Tennessee. I'd embrace it if I lived there.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 10:37:29 PM »
Washington state has a constitutional ban of a state income tax and it is probably the only reason I'm still here. The dhimmicrats have turned themselves inside out trying to find a way to circumvent it. Recently they tried to pretend it didn't exist - that didn't go over well ;-)

In spite of that we "enjoy" one of the heaviest tax burdens in the country. I can't even imagine how hard the hit would be if the crap-weasels got their way.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 10:49:18 PM »
Speaking of taxes....this clip always reminds me of the methodology employed by "enlightened" and "progressive" (spit!) dhimmicrats when it comes to taxation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ahJPxfGp4&feature=related

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 10:59:43 PM »
'Struth.

Forgot about that movie; I remember liking it.  Going to have to find the DVD.