Author Topic: Tennessee moves to constitutionally ban state income/payroll tax  (Read 5278 times)

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Tennessee moves to constitutionally ban state income/payroll tax
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 11:07:07 PM »
'Struth.

Forgot about that movie; I remember liking it.  Going to have to find the DVD.

Yea, cute movie. It got me into the habit of referring to #1 as swee'pee ;-)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 11:17:43 PM »
'Struth.

Same here with "Pookie" from "Cool World"; first sorta tongue-in-cheek.  Now, not so much tongue-in-cheek.  It's "Pookie" and "Other Pookie".  What can I say.

Watching TV show "Royal Pains" and was quite amused that Henry Winkler's character refers to his older-lady squeeze as "Schmoopie".
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 11:34:13 PM »
'Struth.

Same here with "Pookie" from "Cool World"; first sorta tongue-in-cheek.  Now, not so much tongue-in-cheek.  It's "Pookie" and "Other Pookie".  What can I say.

Watching TV show "Royal Pains" and was quite amused that Henry Winkler's character refers to his older-lady squeeze as "Schmoopie".

I always thought Schmoopie was a Seinfeld thing. Whatever the case, even I have my limits  ::)

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 04:30:40 AM »
Even though I lived in Tennessee for a time and enjoyed the lack of an income tax I wonder about the legality of such a law banning future legislation . Could a state make collective bargaining by government employees a permanent and inviolable legal right ? I don't know but it's certainly not something we'd want to see happen . I would tend to think that leaving things as they are would make more sense . It's pretty obvious that up to this point the voters of The Volunteer State have pointedly refused to levy an income tax on themselves and doubtful that they will in the forseeable future . At least it provides some food for thought .

It is a worthy point to say that constitutions should not be trifled with, and that if they are too changeable, then geese and ganders will eventually get around to messing with things that ought not be messed with.

I see this as a good measure though. It doesn't cut off the ability to collect revenue - only the ability to collect it through an income tax. Progressive income tax is the primary method of redistributing wealth from the productive class to the unproductive class and public sector, and Tennessee is saying they want nothing to do with it constitutionally. That is a recipe for economic growth and development, as businesses and workers can have confidence going forward that progressive taxation will not happen in Tennessee. I'd embrace it if I lived there.

I understand your point . But I'm inclined more to the point Soup makes . If it were written into the state constitution rather than being a simple statute I'd feel more comfortable . As for the comments of the advocate for fair taxation ( can't remember his name or bring up the quote ) he fails to understand or probably ignores the fact that more is paid in state sales tax by upper income individuals in Tennessee than lower and middle income individuals . "Fair share"  my ass !

Although I'll admit to skirting the Tenn. sales tax myself when in 1984 I went to West Memphis , Arkansas and bought a car .

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2011, 07:41:32 PM »
...If it were written into the state constitution rather than being a simple statute I'd feel more comfortable ...

That IS the proposal. The legislation would put a constitutional amendment on the ballot for popular vote in 2014.

It's a poorly written article that seems to obscure that a bit, but I just read it again, and that's what I get when I read it.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2011, 05:55:18 PM »
...If it were written into the state constitution rather than being a simple statute I'd feel more comfortable ...

That IS the proposal. The legislation would put a constitutional amendment on the ballot for popular vote in 2014.

It's a poorly written article that seems to obscure that a bit, but I just read it again, and that's what I get when I read it.

True....We will need a admendment vote in 2014.

Two times in Tennessee history, the court has ruled a Tennessee income tax unconstitutional. This will only solidify what has already been found unconstitutional. Liberals have for years tried to subvert these rulings, twisting them to suit thier needs.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.