Author Topic: Smart Meter Opt-Out plan derailed  (Read 978 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Smart Meter Opt-Out plan derailed
« on: December 21, 2011, 08:21:12 AM »
Glad I don't live there.

Lafayette Consolidated Government voted on two controversial issues at Tuesday night's meeting. The first big decision was a motion to eliminate an smart meters opt-out plan for LUS customers. The second vote centered on the controversial bar levy, which ended in a tie, ultimately keeping the levy in place.

Several citizens came forward at the meeting to protest the smart meters and ask for an option to opt-out and not have them installed in their homes. It was a heated discussion as the council, Lafayette Utilities Systems and homeowners went back and forth on whether or not to allow people to opt-out of the smart meters, and if so, should there be a charge for those who choose to keep the old meters?

In the end, the council had decided to allow people to opt-out with a $6 monthly fee. But the LPUA voted the ordinance down and so the smart meters will go into all homes, and there will be no opt-out plan. The result got mixed reactions.

"I think this is a really good move to take the parish an Lafayette into the future," said Simon Haymin, a Lafayette resident.

Those opposed to the smart meters cited safety concerns and invasion of privacy issues.

"They're supposed to work for us but they don't. It's a quagmire of confusion and I'm very disappointed," said Lafayette resident Ray Green.

Though it's not too far from my house, it doesn't have any effect on me............yet.

Libertas, how's your smart meter fight going?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Smart Meter Opt-Out plan derailed
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 10:27:10 AM »
I weighed in on that over here -

http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,4296.new.html

All Hail The Resistance!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.