Author Topic: Was The Dakota Meyer Medal Of Honor Story Inflated? Embellished?  (Read 2391 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Was The Dakota Meyer Medal Of Honor Story Inflated? Embellished?
« on: December 15, 2011, 11:38:10 PM »
Unfortunately, it would appear that it was. This is a very, very long and exhaustive report by a member of the media that was actually there, embedded with the troops who were ambushed. It is worth reading and it seems to imply that Marine Corps hierarchy was determined to get a live medal of honor recipient and would not hesitate to seriously exaggerate the facts.

A couple of the many points from the article:

Rodriguez-Chavez said, “We raised Staff Sgt. Valadez on the radio and told him we were going in no matter what was going on; we just needed him to assist us into the valley.” Valadez, he continued, “agreed with the decision taken by Cpl. Meyer and me.”

Valadez recounted: “I told Staff Sgt. Rodriguez-Chavez to go in because we had injured guys in there."

In a telephone interview eight days after the battle — while he recovered in a U.S. military hospital in Germany from a concussion he'd suffered from a rocket-propelled grenade explosion — “Garza recalled that he … called Cpl. Meyer and Staff Sgt. Rodriguez-Chavez forward to start collecting the wounded," according to a memorandum of the interview.

This would seem to be at odds with the account set forth officially that Meyer disobeyed orders by going in. He might have said that he was going to go in against orders but apparently he ultimately did not.

The next embellishment is really about math. Five plus five makes ten, not twenty four...

Rodriguez-Chavez and Meyer then set out in a Humvee on the mile-long drive up toward Ganjgal, running into “a blizzard of fire” — the former behind the wheel, the latter in the turret, according to the accounts read by Obama and posted on the Marine Corps website.

“Coming upon wounded Afghan soldiers, Dakota jumped out and loaded each of the wounded into the Humvee, each time exposing himself to all that enemy fire,” the president said. After driving those casualties to safety, he and Rodriguez-Chavez went "back into the inferno," Meyer again jumping out and loading up more wounded Afghans.

The medal citation read by a military aide after Obama spoke put the number of Afghans rescued on those first two runs at two dozen.

But Rodriguez-Chavez recounted in his statement for Meyer’s medal nomination that the Afghans got into the vehicle themselves on both runs. He said Meyer stayed in the turret, firing a Mark 19 automatic grenade launcher. Rodriguez-Chavez’s marks on an accompanying satellite photograph show both runs ending just short of the ambush zone.

Seeing Afghan National Army troops trying to take cover, Rodriguez-Chavez said, “I drove up to their position, while Cpl. Meyer was providing cover fire. We saw five wounded ANA soldiers and Cpl. Meyer signaling them to get into the truck. Three ANA took the empty seats in the truck, and the other two opened the trunk and climbed into the trunk.”

After dropping off the Afghans about 150 yards back down the track, the pair returned, stopping just before the first location. Four more Afghan soldiers piled into the vehicle.

The official account doesn’t explain how the pair could have evacuated 24 Afghan soldiers given that no more than five people — three inside and two in the trunk — could have fit in the vehicle with Meyer and Rodriguez-Chavez. A senior Marine Corps official acknowledged that the figure was misleading.

The next account is also troubling:

Witness statements agree that it was the long-delayed arrival of U.S. helicopters that allowed Williams’ group to escape. Williams and Norman attested that Rodriguez-Chavez and Meyer arrived in the valley after Kiowa Warrior helicopters had reached the scene.

Not being a military or ex-military person I don't know what to make of all this but it sounds pretty bad.

If the article is too long to read there is a graphic which sort of sums it all up that can be found here.

Anyway, it sure sounds like the Congressional Medal Of Honor award process got politicized or something.

What does everyone else think?

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Re: Was The Dakota Meyer Medal Of Honor Story Inflated? Embellished?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 11:40:37 PM »
60 Minutes Dakota Meyer

You watch this thing and you wonder what is true and what isn't.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 11:50:14 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 12:00:36 AM »
McClatchy found that the claim that Meyer saved the lives of 13 U.S. Marines and soldiers couldn’t be true. Twelve Americans were ambushed — including this correspondent — and of those, four were killed. (One wounded American would die a month later.) Moreover, multiple sworn statements affirm McClatchy's firsthand reporting that it was the long-delayed arrival of U.S. helicopters that saved the American survivors.

There are no statements attesting to Meyer killing eight Taliban as recounted on the Marine Corps website. The driver of Meyer’s vehicle, Staff Sgt. Juan Rodriguez-Chavez, reported seeing Meyer kill one insurgent.

No sworn statements — including one Meyer gave to military investigators five days after the battle — refer to him leaping from the Humvee’s turret to rescue 24 wounded Afghan soldiers on his first two runs into the valley. Rodriguez-Chavez attested to nine Afghan soldiers getting into the Humvee by themselves while Meyer remained in the turret.

Who do you believe in this?

Is Meyer just flat out lying in the Sixty Minutes story?

I honestly do not know what to think.

The MFM lies. But in this case you have two branches of the MFM saying two things that are at polar opposites from each other. One of them must be false. Which one?

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 04:14:18 AM »

Anyway, it sure sounds like the Congressional Medal Of Honor award process got politicized or something.

What does everyone else think?

How do you think Sen. Inouye got his DSC upgraded to a CMH ?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 07:01:22 AM »
This just sucks!  I remember our discussion of this at the time and it circled around the question if the award was deserved or not...I found it a bit unseemly to question what our troopers did in the field of battle and was willing to give them some slack.  It appears my faith was misplaced in this instance...the math doesn't add up, that cannot be denied, and who is lying and more to the point why are they lying is the issue now.  And to have a MOH dragged into the mud like this...damn, that really pisses me off!  Any award for valor has an implicit reflection upon all members of the military past and present, and especially so for those who served in the same battlefield.  This just stinks to high heaven!  It sure looks like The Regime wanted a walking MOH winner to parade around, and if that is true then Meyer, if possessing one iota of honor, is duty bound to tell the truth no matter the outcome.  I for one could not accept an award for actions I did not do.  That others are not also built that way angers and saddens me beyond words.  The truth must come out, regardless the consequences.

What an ugly black eye this is...

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 07:43:50 AM »
The White House on Thursday stood by the decision of the Department of Defense to award the Medal of Honor to Sgt. Dakota Meyer despite a report that the Marine Corps embellished some of Meyer’s actions in presenting his story to the public as President Obama awarded him the military’s highest honor.

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said the narrative of events that Obama read into the public record while awarding the medal to Meyer on Sept. 14 was based on documents provided by the Marine Corps that received “quite extensive” vetting.

Obama’s account of Meyer’s actions, described by the president during the award ceremony in the stately East Room, were based on “sworn testimony from Sgt. Meyer himself and eyewitness testimony from others present on the scene,” Carney said.

“White House staff also personally spoke to Sgt. Meyer,” Carney added. “Our primary source for the president’s remarks was the official documentation provided by the Marine Corps. The president remains very proud of Sgt. Meyer and the remarkable acts of bravery he displayed on that day.”

Again, not saying the Marine wasn't brave and all but I wouldn't want the same WH who stands by Eric Holder to be giving me the thumbs up for anything.

LINK

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 08:00:16 AM »
I agree Trap, if we take what we think he did that day he did perform very well, MOH worthy? (when the story seems in conflict with common sense and the fact that The Regime is having to back it up after the fact...), probably not.  I remember at the time the story broke I would have been satisfied with a lesser award, but this is award is tainted now and that is a travisty.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 08:56:22 AM »
Why would Meyer lie? Why would he lie. Why would he lie.

::thinking::

He is either telling the truth and this secondary account is a smear, or he is lying. If he is lying, he has a reason.

His reasons could be either self-aggrandizement, or externally motivated. If he was seeking to be honored for something he did not do, he is a fool to think that the story would not come out. If he was motivated by external forces to lie...

I think he is either telling the truth and someone is trying to smear him, or he was forced to give Obama a diversion from real news at a time of Obama's choosing. What was breaking in the news on September 15th, 2011???

Solyndra bankruptcy, General William Shelton claiming that he was coerced by Obama administration to lie about LightSquared interference with military GPS, reports of jumps in jobless numbers, foreclosure numbers, inflation numbers...

I draw no conclusions. But this certainly evokes some important questions.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 11:19:06 AM »
A mans honor, the integrity of the armed forces and many reputations are on the line and it is essential that the truth be ascertained no matter what or it is a gross injustice to all concerned.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 12:01:18 PM »

It is possible for a brave man in battle to be overtaken
by civil circumstances that he is ill equipped to deal with.