Author Topic: Nothing is "Sustainable"  (Read 467 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Nothing is "Sustainable"
« on: December 23, 2011, 09:18:42 AM »
Indirectly poking Agenda 21 in the eye...

HT: AoSHQ

Nothing is Sustainable

...Here’s the ugly truth. It’s simple, blunt, and bitter. Nothing is sustainable. Oh, like the sailors say, the wind is free. As is the sunshine. But everything else we mine or extract to make everything from shovels to cell phones will run out. The only question is, will it run out sooner, or later? Because nothing is sustainable. “Sustainable Development” is just an airy-fairy moonbeam fantasy, a New Age oxymoron. In the real world, it can’t happen. I find the term “sustainable development” useful for one thing only.

When people use it, I know they have not thought too hard about the issues.

Finally, there is an underlying arrogance about the concept that I find disturbing. Forty percent of the world’s people live on less than $2 per day. In China it’s sixty percent. In India, three-quarters of the population lives on under $2 per day.

Denying those men, women, and especially children the ability to improve their lives based on some professed concern about unborn generations doesn’t sit well with me at all. The obvious response from their side is “Easy for you to say, you made it already.” Which is true. The West got wealthy by means which “sustainable development” wants to deny to the world’s poor...

...Certainly, I think we should live as lightly as possible on this marvelous planet. And yes, use rates and R/P ratios are an issue. But nothing is sustainable. So let’s set the phrase “sustainable development” on the shelf of meaningless curiosities, go back to concentrating on feeding the children we already have on this Earth, and leave the great-grandchildren to fend for themselves...
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Nothing is "Sustainable"
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 09:26:10 AM »
LINK

Here’s the ugly truth. It’s simple, blunt, and bitter. Nothing is sustainable. Oh, like the sailors say, the wind is free. As is the sunshine. But everything else we mine or extract to make everything from shovels to cell phones will run out. The only question is, will it run out sooner, or later? Because nothing is sustainable. “Sustainable Development” is just an airy-fairy moonbeam fantasy, a New Age oxymoron. In the real world, it can’t happen. I find the term “sustainable development” useful for one thing only.

This brought to mind an argument point that I used to bring up with enviro-weenies that I had forgotten in recent years. I used to have great fun asking those idiots how "entropy" fits into their neat little recycled world. I will have to go back to using that. It is a source of endless amusement for me and incredible frustration for libs in any such conversation.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 09:31:49 AM »
I always like to point out that our Sun will eventually expand and come so close to the Earth that our oceans are literally boiled away, later the Sun will continue to expand to the point that the Earth is literally consumed by it, and later still it will no longer have enough hydrogen to sustain its nuclear fusion and will collapse in upon itself forming just another gravitic anomaly in our galaxy. All life on Earth will of course be extinguished long, long before it actually gets to that point. There's my ode to Sustainable Development.

Merry Christmas!
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 10:28:29 AM »
Heh, good pooint G, the earth does have an expiration date!

No big deal!

::beertoast::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.