Author Topic: Schools Gathering Family Data for use by Fed  (Read 2653 times)

Offline michelleo

Schools Gathering Family Data for use by Fed
« on: December 29, 2011, 12:11:24 PM »
Phyllis Schlafly has been warning about this for years.
GatewayPundit has an entry on Student Information Database systems buried in the stimulus bill:
Buried within the enormous 2009 stimulus bill were provisions encouraging states to develop data systems for collecting copious information on public-school kids. To qualify for stimulus money, states had to agree to build such systems according to federally dictated standards. So all 50 states either now maintain or are capable of maintaining extensive databases on public-school students.

The administration wants this data to include much more than name, address and test scores. According to the National Data Collection Model, the government should collect information on health-care history, family income and family voting status. In its view, public schools offer a golden opportunity to mine reams of data from a captive audience.

From personal experience I know that even my children's school (an online virtual school that's still considered "public") eagerly seeks all of our family's vitals and income data.  At other schools, administrators are incentivized to collect income data under the auspices of qualifying for school lunch assistance programs.  But schools qualify for other federal/state funding (beyond school lunches) based on the number of kids who qualify for school lunch programs.  Colorado Virtual Academy doesn't have a school lunch program, but they have instead an "ISP Subsidy" program that requires families to fill out a survey on how much money each family makes, how many siblings, ethnicity, ages, etc.  I left most of the fields blank.  I got several calls from administraotrs and reminders to fill this out.  I said each time I wasn't interested in an ISP Subsidy, but that answer never seemed good enough.  How could I not want reimbursement on my internet bill?!  Eventually they stopped bugging me.  I have to deal with this every year.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Schools Gathering Family Data for use by Fed
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 12:29:56 PM »
I left most of the fields blank.

I used to elaborately exaggerate on them. Income? $500million/yr thank yew verry much! Of course then they'd see me drive up in my 20 year old Chevy wagon just to complete the effect.

I never asked for freebies, always paid my own way, and never neglected my kids.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 12:37:41 PM »
What?!  No "do you have guns in the house" questions?!

"Family voting status"?!  Is this anybody's business?!

If I had kids, they could kiss my ass, and "they" can kiss my ass anyway.  My parents' policy was "what goes on in this house, stays in this house" and I can easily see myself saying the same.  And as far as being propagandized by a second-grader whose school-assigned mission is to nag me into compliance with the econazi mission, there'd be an end put to that as well, tout de suite.

I'm disgusted with the information-mining that exists as a continual assault on my privacy, anonymity, and private information.  The damned doctor's office doesn't need my Social Security number, thus they don't get it, and I no longer answer questions in the "social" section of the paperwork as to if/how much I drink and smoke unless I BELIEVE it's relevant.  And, for now, it ain't.  Recently, the determatologist's office wanted to know how often I shower.   ::saywhat::

I don't supply my email addy -- I don't want "them" emailing me; bad enough after online buying, despite checking the "do not spam me" box, I have to unsubscribe to every single business; I don't cough up my zip code at the register when asked by the cashier either.

Call me paranoid; I know some of this information is already in the public domain, but nobody's getting another thing out of me, voluntarily, without a crowbar, least of all the friggin Feds.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 12:41:07 PM »
The department’s eagerness to get control of all this information is almost palpable. But current federal law prohibits a nationwide student database and strictly limits disclosure of a student’s personal information. So the department has determined that it can overcome the legal obstacles by simply bypassing Congress and essentially rewriting the federal privacy statute.

More breaking existing law and end-running Congress.

Are we Venezuela yet?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 01:13:48 PM »
Maybe I should rewrite a hunting license to also include big government idiots...unlimited bag limit...???  I mean if they can rewrite sh*t so can I!

Nation of laws my ass!!!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 03:18:59 PM »

Coming soon to a school near you............. ::outrage::

The wife and I are like Michelleo. Leave 'em blank.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 04:05:05 PM »
It certainly upsets bureaucrats and their minions to leave those blocks blank.

I'm on Soup's page with this one.  Satisfy them with answers.  
Racial heritage: white
                        non-anglo white
                        Asian                       _
                        native American      |Y|
                        etc.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 05:26:31 PM »
It certainly upsets bureaucrats and their minions to leave those blocks blank.

I'm on Soup's page with this one.  Satisfy them with answers. 
Racial heritage: white
                        non-anglo white
                        Asian                       _
                        native American      |Y|
                        etc.

I take cruel pleasure at using that one. They sometimes would ask, "what tribe?" and I would reply something like "American Redneck". They would object and I would say, "Oh, you mean "indian" to which they would cringe and reverently intone, "No, Native American". Screw that. Since the 60's everybody gets to be special except white people.

If I can't be special then I'll settle for obnoxious.  :supercool:

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 05:58:57 PM »
Isn't that your special-ty?   ;D

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 08:33:01 PM »

He's not alone!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 10:39:50 PM »

I specialize in being a smar-tass and all-around PITA, but i do minor in obnoxious.

Offline Delnorin

• Free Speech While It Lasts
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 03:08:10 AM »

"Family voting status"?!  Is this anybody's business?!

If I had kids, they could kiss my ass, and "they" can kiss my ass anyway.  My parents' policy was "what goes on in this house, stays in this house" and I can easily see myself saying the same.  And as far as being propagandized by a second-grader whose school-assigned mission is to nag me into compliance with the econazi mission, there'd be an end put to that as well, tout de suite.

I'm disgusted with the information-mining that exists as a continual assault on my privacy, anonymity, and private information.  The damned doctor's office doesn't need my Social Security number, thus they don't get it, and I no longer answer questions in the "social" section of the paperwork as to if/how much I drink and smoke unless I BELIEVE it's relevant.  And, for now, it ain't.  Recently, the determatologist's office wanted to know how often I shower.   ::saywhat::

I don't supply my email addy -- I don't want "them" emailing me; bad enough after online buying, despite checking the "do not spam me" box, I have to unsubscribe to every single business; I don't cough up my zip code at the register when asked by the cashier either.

Call me paranoid; I know some of this information is already in the public domain, but nobody's getting another thing out of me, voluntarily, without a crowbar, least of all the friggin Feds.

Yeah.. the ladies at the register always get confused when they ask for my phone number and I tell them:  666-666-6666.
After they look like a migraine is fully taking over their senses.. I tell them: I'm not giving you my phone number.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 10:32:20 AM »

I specialize in being a smar-tass and all-around PITA, but i do minor in obnoxious.

Huh, I think we had the same mentors!

;D

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Re: Schools Gathering Family Data for use by Fed - Expanded in Missouri
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 12:45:11 PM »
Parkway's use of fitness monitors raises privacy questions

Missouri

District wants to have students wear devices 24/7

In early 2012, wristwatch-like devices called Polar active monitors will be used by older students in PE classes at all 18 Parkway elementary schools. District officials say the devices should help improve the students' fitness and academic achievement.

Later this school year, the district plans to collect data about activity levels and even sleep patterns for a week at a time. It will have the students wear the devices round the clock.

Some parents and legal experts are raising privacy concerns about at least that aspect of the program.

Parents are "raising privacy concerns"?!  I'd be raising holy hell!

Additional source.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 07:15:00 AM »
What's next? Compulsory brain implants?

Seriously, WTF is wrong with people?!

This is something people should be fricken rioting over!!!

Can you spell S-C-R-E-W-E-D?

::gaah::

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Schools Gathering Family Data for use by Fed - Expanded in Missouri
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 11:51:22 AM »

Parents are "raising privacy concerns"?!  I'd be raising holy hell!

It's amazing what parents will do just because "the school" says to do it!

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 11:57:37 AM »
I can promise that any device or routine meant to monitor my children outside of school activities would be met with absolute resistance. The monitoring device would be returned to school the following day in pieces, in person.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson