Topics > Entertainment

Trap's Movie Thread

(1/216) > >>

trapeze:
Welcome to trap's movie thread.

Please write about a movie that you like or loath. Old or new. Classic or camp. Any genre. Any era.

Rules:

1)One movie per comment entry. Keep it simple.

2)You must describe why you like or hate any given movie. Please don't just post something and say, "I liked this," or "I hated this."

I'm not looking for full blown reviews (although feel free to do it if you like). Just a few sentences that would perhaps compel someone to seek it out or avoid it like the plague.

One more thing: This is a bit unorthodox but I want to try it out...try and avoid commenting on other people's entries. If you feel differently about the same movie then post your own review rather than just agree or disagree with someone else's. I know you are going to do it but let's try and keep it to a minimum so that the thread can keep moving along...write about another movie, damn it!

IronDioPriest:
I'll kick it off by reposting this recommendation I made in the "Faith & Family" board. It's by no means the best movie I've ever seen, but it is the most recent, and it was quite good in spite of the low made-for-TV production budget and specifically non-secular viewpoint. So here it is...

...I watched a movie last night that affected me deeply, in a good way. It's called "Amish Grace", and it is a dramatic account of the aftermath of the October 2006 schoolhouse massacre of 5 Amish girls in Nickel Mines, Pennsylvania.

I remember the media accounts at the time. The fact that the Amish community almost immediately stressed forgiveness of the killer was met with media incredulity, and when it became apparent that that was the sum-total of the story, the story was abandoned, and the massacre faded from the headlines.

This film stars Kimberly Williams-Paisley (whom you may remember as the daughter in "Father of the Bride") as a mother struggling with her hatred over the murder of her daughter, and her inability to relate to the community's rush to forgive - including her husband. The film does a wonderful, beautiful job of looking at this event from several different angles - from the viewpoints of several different people involved, and it does so objectively.

As the event occurs and everyone is left in its aftermath to deal with the consequences, broad concepts are examined with this tragic setting as a perfect backdrop. The film respectfully explores things like like forgiveness, hatred, evil, grace, God, religious dogma, loss and grief, judgment, and separatism. It is ultimately a film about the value of forgiveness, but it does not shy away from exploring things that all people of faith struggle with and question. Faith and forgiveness are explored honestly, daring to ask the most difficult questions without providing concrete answers, and yet in the end, faith emerges triumphantly above those difficult questions as the overriding and convincing theme of the film.

We can withstand much tragedy and strife with the application of faith, grace, love, and forgiveness - and the Amish community of Nickel Mines are a testament to it. I would highly recommend everyone see this film.

Pandora:
"Secondhand Lions", w/Robert Duvall, Michael Caine and Haley Joel Osment

Two old duffers, living on their farm (money hidden) get stuck, for a couple weeks, with their Great-Nephew by his good-fer-nuthin' mother.  The kid learns the tale of their exciting lives of adventure in exotic lands and he learns, as well, what it means to be a good man.

No mush but some touching scenes and a good plot.  Duvall and Caine are their usual excellent selves.

Glock32:
I believe Robert Duvall also "outed" himself as a conservative, IIRC.

IronDioPriest:

--- Quote from: Glock32 on March 09, 2011, 04:11:09 PM ---I believe Robert Duvall also "outed" himself as a conservative, IIRC.

--- End quote ---

Yes, he did. Some really good guys in Hollywood are open conservatives. Craig T. Nelson, Gary Sinise, and I've learned recently... Kevin Sorbo, the muscled hunk that used to play Hercules in that God-awful syndicated show of the same name.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version