Topics > Entertainment

Trap's Movie Thread

<< < (2/216) > >>

Glock32:
Craig T. Nelson is too? I always liked that show Coach, well the first few seasons anyway.

trapeze:
Aliens (1986)

Written & directed by James Cameron

Sigourney Weaver
Michael Biehn
Lance Henrickson
Carrie Henn

Normally I am pretty intolerant of Cameron.  Especially his most recent stuff. Aliens, though, is in my opinion, one of the best (if not the best) sequels in movie history. The story is compelling. The action (after the setup) is unrelenting. The heros are heroic. The bad guys are about the worst thing ever conceived. There is some pretty serious splatter. And the good guys win in the end ("Ha, ha! Nuked your planet and threw you out the airlock!").

I really liked the space marines who were sent to rescue the colonists. They had the qualities that I always imagine US Marines to have, particularly the, "We are going to go kill some aliens and it's no big deal," attitude. And even when things turned out badly for them they just put their heads down and kept going, heedless of the risks and dangers because that's who they are and what they do.

The only thing about the story that bothered me was that they had the survivor from the original expedition (Weaver) who was brought along as a technical expert, having seen the aliens first hand, and then they pretty much ignore her advice until it's too late. I am pretty good at suspending disbelief when I see a movie but this just seemed ridiculous. But if you can get over that one logical mistake the rest of the film really works. It keeps you completely engaged all the way to the end. And it's one of those rare movies that I can see more than once just to see what details I might have missed on a previous viewing.

Pandora:
I liked all three of the Alien movies.  Aliens was the first movie I'd ever seen where the heroine didn't jump over the gun on her screaming way out of the room.

Glock32:
Aliens is one of my favorites too. I also agree it's one of the best sequels ever (along with The Empire Strikes Back). That scene at the beginning when Ripley is at an inquest for hours on end, trying to explain why she engaged the self-destruct on her ship in the first film (i.e., because of the creature) and they keep questioning her sanity, bringing up crass bureaucratic concerns, etc, she finally loses it and goes off on the entire panel. I think of that scene a lot lately, when people ignore the enormous mess we're in and instead focus on their petty BS concerns that won't even matter once things really start coming unglued.

The one thing about that film I have trouble believing is that they would leave their ship in orbit completely unmanned. Seems they would at least have a sentry crew, or a reserve team to do an evac in case things go bad.

Overall a great movie.

Alphabet Soup:
C'mon Trap...rules?!

OK, here goes.

The Fifth Element - 1997

Bruce Willis
Gary Oldman
Ian Holm   
Milla Jovovich

This has to be my favorite "just tune out and enjoy" movie. I think it's the perfect blend of Sci-Fi, action, fantasy, and (light) comedy. The movie flows like champagne - tantalizing and full of excitement. You're never quite drawn into a personal association with any of the characters but who cares?! It's harmless fun that pushes all the right buttons and never disappointments.

9/10 stars

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version