Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 229450 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2011, 08:01:01 AM »
A bus tour including Richard Burton, -de-flocked Episcopal preacher, bus driver/tour guide, alcoholic as Lawrence T. Shannon.

Okay, I usually leave stuff like this alone but that word is one that I hear all the time and it bugs me so sorry but I just have to make the correction...it's "defrocked."
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2011, 09:25:15 AM »
A bus tour including Richard Burton, -de-flocked Episcopal preacher, bus driver/tour guide, alcoholic as Lawrence T. Shannon.

Okay, I usually leave stuff like this alone but that word is one that I hear all the time and it bugs me so sorry but I just have to make the correction...it's "defrocked."

Well, it's your spell checker and it said frocked, take it up with them.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2011, 01:49:51 PM »
My spell checker? You jest.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2011, 12:44:15 AM »

Against All Odds

Jeff Bridges, pro football player,  Rachel Ward, daughter of matriarchal owner of the football team and girlfriend of  Jim Woods, (darkside) nightclub owner/gambler and  third point of the the love triangle.  Bridges is put on wavers and offered a job to find runaway daughter. Intrigue follows.  Alltime great actor Richard Widmark plays evil lawyer and Alex (Mongo) Karass alltime great thespian, plays Sully, confidant and football trainer.   Night club scene including Kid Creole and the Coconuts is memorable.  The, must be seen on a big screen to appreciate, auto race between Bridges and Woods is excellent. The show moves from beginning to end and is excellent entertainment.

It's Rated R, can't remember why.

Phil Collins - Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2011, 08:50:33 AM »
Here's one for the "Excellent movie in spite of it's bullsh*t Leftist multi-cult propaganda" category.

American History X (1998)
Starring Edward Norton, Edward Furlong, Beverly D'Angelo

Ed Norton (great actor, notorious Leftist) plays a former neo-nazi skinhead convict trying to prevent his little brother (Edward Furlong from Terminator 2) from following in his footsteps. In a series of flashbacks, we see a younger Norton get sucked into White supremacy after his father is murdered by a Black guy, until Norton's hatred alienates him from his family and ultimately leads him to commit racist cold-blooded murder, and spend hard time in prison. In prison, the only person who treats him decently is a Black prisoner, and as he's torn between racism, prison-gang race stereotypes, and true friendship, he has a transformation, and rejects his hatred and his racism. Upon leaving prison, he attempts to save his brother from his associations with the skinheads.

If that was the extent of it, this would be a great teaching tool of the evils of racism and the self-destructiveness of unchecked hatred. Norton's work is nothing short of brilliant. The malevolent cut of his glare coupled with the thick black swastika on his chest has you believing the hate.

But that isn't the extent of it. The propaganda aspect of the movie attempts to lead the viewer to the conclusion that mainstream conservative thinking regarding race issues leads to neo-nazi violence and hatred. To those aware of it, it shows us that this attempt to portray mainstream America as racist has been happening on the Left for a long time.

Watch this scene (volume is quiet, so turn up a bit). This is earlier in the film, before Norton becomes fully engaged in the neo-nazi movement. The family is having dinner, with Eliot Gould playing the Jewish boyfriend of Norton's mother. The discussion turns to race relations, and if you listen to Norton's words, ignoring how they're delivered, as a conservative, you will likely agree with EVERY. SINGLE. WORD. That is... until he turns on a dime, and this character espousing perfectly mainstream conservative ideology regarding race and illegal immigration turns into a violent, abusive, racist maniac, ending with Beverly D'Angelo (mom) saying, "I'm shamed that you came out of my body," and Norton's reply, "Go run to your f**king kike." The film quite deftly associates conservatism with racist White supremacy, as you'll see here...

*Language*
American History X Tense dinner (long Version)

Here we see a perfectly mainstream conservative position on illegal immigration turned into an ugly racist violent action...

*Language*
American History X- About illegal immigrant

The producers would have the viewer believe that mainstream conservative thought leads to White supremacy, which will ultimately lead to this:

*Language*
American History X - Derek shows who's the boss

In spite of all this, there are lessons to be learned from the film, but one wonders how many people watched this otherwise excellent film, never cognizant of the propaganda hit job they were watching, instead absorbing the notion that conservative positions regarding race and immigration are equated to White supremacy.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 08:55:17 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2011, 09:10:22 AM »
I had the hots for Rachel Ward

charlesoakwood

« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2011, 03:37:52 PM »
::oldman::

http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,775.msg7668.html#msg7668
Another common tactic used in DHS sponsored training is the slander of certain ideologies by linking an erroneous characteristic to a particular group.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2011, 03:39:12 PM »

Another common tactic used in DHS sponsored training is the slander of certain ideologies by linking an erroneous characteristic to a particular group.

After reading IDP's review, that similarity occurred to me as well.  Great minds and all that ........
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2011, 04:02:06 PM »

After reading IDP's review, that similarity occurred to me as well.  Great minds and all that ........

Actually it was that thread that spurred my recollection of this movie. I meant o give it a hat-tip & a link, and became so engrossed in my review and searching for video clips that I forgot I was going to link to the thread.
 ::beertoast::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2011, 04:35:55 PM »
I think where I first saw her was in the TV mini-series, The Thorn Birds with Dr Kildare, I mean Richard Chamberlain

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2011, 04:50:37 PM »
...and just to be clear (because I have an inkling there might be some confusion up-thread)  ::thumbsup::... Rachel Ward wasn't in American History X. She was in Against All Odds...
 ::exitstageleft::

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2011, 08:45:52 PM »
I thought Ed Norton and Ralph Fiennes were excellent in "Red Dragon", which is the only good sequel (err prequel) to Silence of the Lambs. Fiennes plays the tortured Norman Bates type very convincingly. That scene where he forces his victim to observe a slideshow while revealing unexpectedly complex body art was creepy to the extreme.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2011, 09:55:18 PM »
So...as long as we are talking about Edward Norton...

Rounders (1998)

Directed by John Dahl

Matt Damon
Edward Norton
John Turturro
John Malkovich
Martin Landau
Gretchen Mol (as the shrew)

First of all let me get this out of the way: This is the greatest poker/grifter movie ever made. Which is not to say that it is a great poker movie. I don't know if a great poker movie will ever be made. Poker is best described as hours of excruciating boredom punctuated with a few brief moments of sheer terror. You would think that someone could write a script that was both interesting and realistic but so far, no. So until that happens, "Rounders" is the best.

The movie works for me, though, on another level and that would be the character interaction between Damon and Norton. Damon plays the good and loyal friend and Norton plays the ultimate jerk friend. I have been in one of these relationships (as the good and loyal friend) and this movie carries this off to perfection.

The poker scenes are mostly ridiculous: Damon playing for all of his bankroll at both the beginning and the end of the movie. No one works to amass a multi-thousand dollar bankroll and then shoves the entire thing into the pot. Real poker players will only risk a very small fraction of their bankroll at a time. Why? Because unless you have the absolute best possible hand there is always a chance that you will lose. That's called "variance" which is a fancy way of saying, "Aces don't always win." The scene where Damon walks into a room where his professor and several of his friends are playing and then, having observed them for all of one minute, tells everyone at the table what is in their hands. Really good players can "read" other players at the table but it's based on a very long period of observation. And a good "read" will usually be a range of hands rather than predicting two specific cards.

Now on the other hand, the Norton character's habitual cheating was pretty darn realistic. People cheat at cards. All the time. And the funny thing is, people who are normally quite ethical have absolutely no qualms at all about cheating at cards. Some cheaters are lazy (bringing a few extra dozen poker chips from home and secretly adding them to their stack) and some are hard working and sophisticated. The Norton character fits into that second category. He was in prison at the beginning of the film and when he gets out he brags about having lots of time to practice his "stuff" which consists of dealing seconds and bottoms. A good card mechanic can deal seconds (retaining a valuable card on top to be dealt to himself) or off the bottom and it is almost impossible to tell. BTW: No one in their right mind uses marked cards.

Anyway, Damon puts up with Norton getting him into trouble over and over and over until the very end of the movie where they finally part ways. And that's the part of the film that is the best. What a friend will put up with for the sake of loyalty, for the sake of friendship. The hope that you can save someone that you care about from themselves. And then, ultimately being able to see that you can't help someone who won't help themselves and having the wisdom to just walk away from the train wreck instead of becoming engulfed in it. You keep pulling for Norton's character to wise up while simultaneously wishing that the Damon character will dump his shrew girlfriend in a spectacular way.

Great movie. I usually don't care to see Matt Damon in anything but in this he was tolerable. And Norton was brilliant which more than makes up for it.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2011, 12:06:18 AM »
Okay, this isn't out yet but I am going to see it when it does open. It is already a 90% rated film at Rotten Tomatoes making it one of the better reviewed films of the year.

This is the fake trailer that was so popular that they decided to make it. And when you think of all the crappy movies made from tv shows and comic books I guess it was only natural that they made this...

Hobo With a Shotgun

So here is the real movie trailer:

Hobo With A Shotgun (2011) - Unrated Trailer [HD]

And the redband trailer...

Hobo With A Shotgun - Official Redband Trailer 2 [HD]

The return of Rutger Hauer. Just in time for the decadence of the Obama administration.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2011, 08:29:36 AM »
Went to view Hanna last nite.....Thought it was gonna be like the Bourne Identity movies....I was wrong.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2011, 08:58:35 AM »
Went to view Hanna last nite.....Thought it was gonna be like the Bourne Identity movies....I was wrong.

Good or bad??
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2011, 09:11:26 AM »

Good or bad??

I didn't like it. Slow in the beginning, attempting to set up the her story but failed, imo. I don't want to give away the movie, some may like it, but I thought it was a fail exhibiting the innocence of a child, who was trained to be a killer for her own self protection. Choppy and vague. The flick did not leave me in suspense.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2011, 11:34:18 AM »

Good or bad??

I didn't like it. Slow in the beginning, attempting to set up the her story but failed, imo. I don't want to give away the movie, some may like it, but I thought it was a fail exhibiting the innocence of a child, who was trained to be a killer for her own self protection. Choppy and vague. The flick did not leave me in suspense.

So that's one I wait to make the TV.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

stelalouis

« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2011, 01:59:29 AM »
I think , the movie was a good way to go for a new entertainment and I did the same at that time too .

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2011, 11:29:35 PM »
What would a movie thread be without a posting of something/anything that's MST3K? MST3K is a national treasure. From the vault, a black and white short subject:

MST3K - Keeping Clean and Neat