Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 229245 times)

RickZ

Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2011, 04:18:04 AM »
Die Hard (1988)

Ah, damn straight!  The best line in the movie is "Yippee ki yea, motherfcker!"  ::snoopydance::

I thought 'Welcome to the party, Pal!' was a great line when it comes to bloodletting violence as applied to liberal politically correct do-nothings.

RickZ

« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2011, 04:40:42 AM »
My favorite movie of all time, and one I'm quite shockingly surprised this thread reached page six with nary a mention, is Blazing Saddles.  There is not one piece of this politically incorrect movie (made before political correctness) that is not funny; Blazing Saddles put the 'fun' in funny.  The saddest part of the movie for me is knowing that such a movie can never be made again.  Our loss. 

Blazing Saddles (1974)

Director: Mel Brooks

Cleavon Little
Gene Wilder
Slim Pickens
Harvey Korman
Madeline Kahn
Mel Brooks 

What's not to love?  Pick a scene, any scene, and there is a memorable line in it.

Best to let the movie speak for itself.

Blazing Saddles - Camptown Ladies Full Scene

blazing saddles quicksand scene

Authentic Frontier Gibberish

Blazing Saddles - Harvey Korman

Blazing Saddles, Harumph Scene, Governors Office

Blazing Saddles "We Don't Want the Irish!"

Every scene's a winner.  "Have you ever seen such cruelty?"

If you haven't seen this movie, why the hell not?  If you haven't seen the unabridged version in a long time, why the hell not?

RickZ

« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2011, 05:10:11 AM »
All too often, the Bard translates to the screen in a horrid and boring way.  One such 'against the grain' treatment of the Bard is Henry V, perhaps the best of any film treatment of Shakespeare's work.  Why I do I love this movie?  For one reason, it probably has the single greatest battle scene in any 'war movie': The Battle of Agincourt.  That was one of those 'outnumbered, outgunned, be happy for today we die' battles from history, a very real 'against all odds' knockdown drag 'em out fight which changed the course of History.  From Wiki:  "The 2009 Encyclopædia Britannica uses the figures of about 6,000 for the English and 20,000 to 30,000 for the French."  I have never seen such a realistic screen treatment of a medievil battle; it is absolutely magnificent in all its mud and blood and guts and glory. Then there is Branagh's magnificent rendering of one of THE greatest 'rouse the troops' speaches of all time, the St. Crispin's Day speech, which we've all either read or heard.  But Branagh brings it to a new height.  This production of Shakespeare's play is pitch perfect, as when Henry V says: 

No; it is not possible you should love the enemy of France, Kate: but, in loving me, you should love the friend of France; for I love France so well that I will not part with a village of it; I will have it all mine: and, Kate, when France is mine and I am yours, then yours is France and you are mine."

Henry V (1989)

Director: Kenneth Branagh

Derek Jacobi
Kenneth Branagh
Simon Shepherd
James Larkin
Brian Blessed
James Simmons

Henry V Speech to the troops

Henry V, Kenneth Branagh, Agincourt 1, "Nothing But Shame"
If you've never seen this movie, I highly recommend it.

RickZ

« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2011, 05:36:25 AM »
Now for a movie I absolutely loathe.  I'm a big fan of sci-fi movies, but bad sci-fi is just the worst.  In this category I place Logan's Run.  From the cheesy 'hamster run' special effects to the atrocious acting in a movie with a decent premise, it is plain ol' bad, in every sense of the word.  One wonders why they made this film, and once made, why they released it, and once released, why they didn't commit seppuku.  This film really puts the 'cheese' in cheesy.  I think bad sci-fi is even worse than bad pr0n.

Logan's Run (1976)

Director: Michael Anderson

Michael York
Richard Jordan
Jenny Agutter
Roscoe Lee Browne
Farrah Fawcett
Michael Anderson Jr.
Peter Ustinov

Logan's Run (trailer)
This movie is so bad, I cannot remember ever seeing it on tv, and I've seen plenty of bad movies on tv at three in the morning.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2011, 02:36:46 PM »
There's not a thing wrong with Jenny Agutter in that movie. Good lawwwd. I bet she's still smokin.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2011, 04:24:54 PM »
There's not a thing wrong with Jenny Agutter in that movie. Good lawwwd. I bet she's still smokin.

See what you think:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=jenny+agutter+images&qpvt=jenny+agutter+images&FORM=IGRE#x0y93
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2011, 12:57:14 AM »
I find a lot of good stuff to read in the sidebar at AoS.

Today there was the link to this outstanding piece at the Weekly Standard about David Mamet and his recent conversion to conservatism. It's a long article but well worth reading all the way through. It whets the appetite for Mamet's new book, The Secret Knowledge: On the Dismantling of American Culture. It will be available on June 2nd of this year in both hardcover and Kindle versions.

Reference was made in the Weekly Standard article to the original "coming out" of Mamet in an article that he penned for the Village Voice, Why I Am No Longer A Brain Dead Liberal. If you haven't read that one you might start with it (since it was written two years ago, just a couple of months after Toonces was immaculated) and then read the current one in the WS.

Here, though, is a quote from the WS article that I found especially gratifying:

[blockquote]"Dave is a very thorough thinker,” Mordecai Finley told me, “but it never occurred to him that there might be another way to think about politics.”

Finley is rabbi at Ohr HaTorah in Los Angeles, where Mamet attends services with his wife, the actress Rebecca Pidgeon, who converted to Judaism after their marriage in 1991. Mamet’s religious practice, along with his sensitivity to Israel, has deepened since he moved to Southern California and joined Ohr HaTorah. In 2006, he published a scorching book of essays, The Wicked Son, rebuking secular Jews for their (alleged) self-loathing and reluctance to defend Israel.

The Wicked Son is dedicated to Finley. He is a creature who is not supposed to exist in nature: the Republican rabbi of a liberal congregation packed with show people.

“For most of my congregants,” he said, “I’m the only Republican they know.”

Finley recalls a conversation with Mamet and Pidgeon during the California Democratic presidential primary in 2004. They asked the rabbi and his wife which Democrat they were going to vote for.

“We said, ‘None of them.’

“Dave said, ‘Oh no—you’re not going to vote for Nader!’

“I said, ‘No.’

“And then you could see it hit him. ‘Not Bush!’

'Well, yes. Bush.’ "

“Dave was apologetic. He thought he’d embarrassed us! He said, ‘Oh, I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to pry! I shouldn’t have asked!’

“I said, ‘No, no, it’s really not a problem. It’s not like we try to keep it secret.’ ”

Still safely with the herd, Mamet undertook to pry his rabbi away from his heretical politics. He began sending Finley books, potboilers of contemporary liberalism like What’s the Matter with Kansas?

“They were highly polemical, angry books,” Finley said. “They were very big on sympathy and compassion but really they weren’t”—he looked for the word—“they simply weren’t logically coherent. And Dave is very logical in his thinking. Dave thought What’s the Matter with Kansas? had the answer for why people could even think to vote for a Republican—it’s because they’re duped by capitalist fat cats. I tried to tell him that people really weren’t that stupid. They just have other interests, other values. They’re values voters.

“That’s one thing he began to see: The left flattens people, reduces people to financial interests. Dave’s an artist. He knew people are deeper than that.”

Before long, when Finley didn’t budge, the books from Mamet stopped arriving, and Finley asked if he could send Mamet some books too. One of the first was A Conflict of Visions, by Thomas Sowell of the Hoover Institution. In it Sowell expands on the difference between the “constrained vision” of human nature—close to the tragic view that infuses Mamet’s greatest plays—and the “unconstrained vision” of man’s endless improvement that suffused Mamet’s politics and the politics of his profession and social class.

“He came back to me stunned. He said, ‘This is incredible!’ He said, ‘Who thinks like this? Who are these people?’ I said, ‘Republicans think like this.’ He said, ‘Amazing.’ ” [/blockquote]

So for those of you who do not know who Mamet is and are wondering, "What's this got to do with movies?" I will list off a few of the ones that you have probably seen, heard of or should have seen and/or heard of...

The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981) screenplay
The Verdict (1982) screenplay
House Of Games (1987) director, screenplay
The Untouchables (1987) screenplay
Glengarry Glenn Ross (1992) screenplay and original author
Wag The Dog (1997) screenplay
The Spanish Prisoner (1997) director, screenplay
The Edge (1997) screenplay
Ronin (1998) screenplay

There are more but these are the highlights. There are many more plays but since this thread covers movies I won't go into that area.

I remember seeing House Of Games on one of the movie channels a year or so after it was released. It was an excellent psychological thriller involving a psychiatrist and a con artist. The film was so good that I noticed the name of the director/screenwriter and mentally filed it away as someone to watch for in the future. As you can see from the list above I didn't have to wait too long for other top drawer material to follow.

The best of the best was Glengarry Glenn Ross. Winner of a Tony award and the Pulitzer prize, Glenngarry is the best film ever to capture the essence of what it is to be a salesman. Noted for its profuse profanity it is sometimes referred to as "Death Of A F**kin' Salesman." Glengarry is absolutely riveting. The work by the cast is first rate, probably considered among the best performances of their careers which is saying a lot. Jack Lemmon, Al Pacino, Ed Harris, Alan Arkin, Kevin Spacey and, without a doubt, the best scene ever in the life of Alec Baldwin.

Incredible and memorable lines from the movie include this exchange:

[blockquote]Blake: You're talking about what. You're talking about... Bitching about that sale you shot, some sonofabitch who don't wanna buy land, some broad you're trying to screw, so forth. Let's talk about something important. They all here?

Williamson: All but one.

Blake: I'm going anyway. Let's talk about something important. Put. That coffee. Down. Coffee's for closers only. You think I'm f**king with you? I am not f**king with you. I'm here from downtown. I'm here from Mitch and Murray. And I'm here on a mission of mercy. Your name's Levine? You call yourself a salesman you son of a bitch?

Dave Moss: I don't gotta sit here and listen to this sh*t.

Blake: You certainly don't pal, 'cause the good news is - you're fired. The bad news is - you've got, all of you've got just one week to regain your jobs starting with tonight. Starting with tonight's sit. Oh? Have I got your attention now? Good. "Cause we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired. Get the picture? You laughing now? You got leads. Mitch and Murray paid good money, get their names to sell them. You can't close the leads you're given you can't close sh*t. You ARE sh*t. Hit the bricks pal, and beat it 'cause you are going OUT.

Shelley Levene: The leads are weak.

Blake: The leads are weak? F**king leads are weak. You're weak. I've been in this business 15 years...

Dave Moss: What's your name?

Blake: F**k you. That's my name. You know why, mister? You drove a Hyundai to get here. I drove an eighty-thousand dollar BMW. THAT'S my name. And your name is you're wanting. You can't play in the man's game, you can't close them - go home and tell your wife your troubles. Because only one thing counts in this life: Get them to sign on the line which is dotted. You hear me you f**king fa&&ots? A-B-C. A-Always, B-Be, C-Closing. Always be closing. ALWAYS BE CLOSING. A-I-D-A. Attention, Interest, Decision, Action. Attention - Do I have you attention? Interest - Are you interested? I know you are, because it's f**k or walk. You close or you hit the bricks. Decision - Have you made your decision, for Christ? And Action. A-I-D-A. Get out there - you got the prospects coming in. You think they came in to get out of the rain? A guy don't walk on the lot lest he wants to buy. They're sitting out there waiting to give you their money. Are you gonna take it? Are you man enough to take it? What's the problem, pal?

Dave Moss: You - Moss. You're such a hero, you're so rich, how come you're coming down here wasting your time with such a bunch of bums?

Blake: You see this watch? You see this watch?

Dave Moss: Yeah.

Blake: That watch costs more than your car. I made $970,000 last year. How much'd you make? You see pal, that's who I am, and you're nothing. Nice guy? I don't give a sh*t. Good father? F**k you! Go home and play with your kids. You wanna work here - close! You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you c*******er? You can't take this, how can you take the abuse you get on a sit? You don't like it, leave. _I_ can go out there tonight with the materials you've got and make myself $15,000. Tonight! In two hours! Can you? Can YOU? Go and do likewise. A-I-D-A. Get mad you son of a bitches. Get mad. You want to know what it takes to sell real estate? It takes BRASS BALLS to sell real estate. Go and do likewise gents. Money's out there. You pick it up, it's yours. You don't, I got no sympathy for you. You wanna go out on those sits tonight and close, CLOSE. It's yours. If not you're gonna be shining my shoes. And you know what you'll be saying - a bunch of losers sittin' around in a bar. 'Oh yeah. I used to be a salesman. It's a tough racket.' These are the new leads. These are the Glengarry leads. And to you they're gold, and you don't get them. Why? Because to give them to you is just throwing them away. They're for closers. I'd wish you good luck but you wouldn't know what to do with it if you got it. And to answer you question, pal, why am I here? I came here because Mitch and Murray asked me to. They asked me for a favor. I said the real favor, follow my advice and fire your f**king ass because a loser is a loser. [/blockquote]

So...there is your Mamet awareness post. The guy is very, very good at what he does and now he's on our side.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 10:01:54 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2011, 06:05:42 AM »
Trap, thank you very much for the Mamet awareness post.  I'd read most of The Weekly Standard article previously but no one linked to, nor did I think to look for, the Village Voice piece, which is the meat and potatoes story of Mamet's conversion.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2011, 10:08:22 AM »
I should have posted the youtube vid of the above Baldwin scene.

Alec Baldwin - Best performance

Rent this or watch it on a premium channel so that you don't have any of it edited out. Yes, lots of cursing but it's worth it. This is reality. It's totally authentic in it's depiction of this particular employment niche. Desperate men drowning in tension, pressure and their own private misery.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 10:23:05 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 11:39:43 AM by Charles Oakwood »

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2011, 12:09:10 PM »

Rent this or watch it on a premium channel so that you don't have any of it edited out. Yes, lots of cursing but it's worth it. This is reality. It's totally authentic in it's depiction of this particular employment niche. Desperate men drowning in tension, pressure and their own private misery.

I had the pleasure of working for a guy like that for 60 days. He got fired for turning a 200 car a month dept into an 80 car a month dept.He pissed off the entire sales dept and we sat on or hands till he was gone. The guy he replaced had retired ans was a gentleman to work for, this guy was a bum and we treated him like a bum.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2011, 01:40:39 PM »

I had the pleasure of working for a guy like that for 60 days. He got fired for turning a 200 car a month dept into an 80 car a month dept.He pissed off the entire sales dept and we sat on or hands till he was gone. The guy he replaced had retired ans was a gentleman to work for, this guy was a bum and we treated him like a bum.

So, I will take that as a reinforcement of how realistic the scene is. If you have ever worked in sales (and I did briefly) you run across this stuff.

It's also a marker of sorts that Alec Baldwin can always point to and say that for at least 8 minutes or so he could act. And it was a great performance.

But the whole movie is outstanding from beginning to end and every one of the actors were great.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2011, 02:40:26 PM »
Mamet brought The Unit to CBS about 6 years ago. 
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2011, 03:14:53 PM »

So, I will take that as a reinforcement of how realistic the scene is. If you have ever worked in sales (and I did briefly) you run across this stuff.

It's also a marker of sorts that Alec Baldwin can always point to and say that for at least 8 minutes or so he could act. And it was a great performance.

But the whole movie is outstanding from beginning to end and every one of the actors were great.

I've been in sales all my life and those guys always burn out before their time. Every hero I have ever worked with wore out his welcome in short order. Those are the clowns that take the slash and burn approach and the problem with that is that after they made the mess they leave others to clean it up.

You had to be at the meeting with the owner after that hero hit the skids.All of a sudden sales were up and complaints were down.

I did see that movie trap and it did hit close to home.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2011, 05:16:19 PM »
Mamet brought The Unit to CBS about 6 years ago. 

Did he now?  I did not know that.  It was a good series.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2011, 09:47:46 PM »
I worked in boiler-room sales as depicted in "Glengarry Glenn Ross" for a few-year stint between bands back around '90. First I sold aftermarket auto parts to car dealership parts departments, and then I sold sales and management training courses. So much of the sales terminology from the movie was textbook stuff, set to drama.

The movie got all the details right - ABC "Always Be Closing"; sales guys bitching about the low quality of their leads; force-feeding non-receptive customers; sales guys backstabbing each other; big-talking; hard quotas; clamoring for lame spiffs - all that stuff was as real as it gets. The portrayal of the boiler-room sub-culture was dead-on, even though I thought the characters and their dialogue was quite a bit of caricature - but I think that was the point. The extreme to which the characters took the portrayal made the recognition of the reality in the film all the more obvious. What a great movie.

GGGR is kind of like "This is Spinal Tap" for salesmen, only not funny, but depressing instead. What I mean by that is that it holds a special meaning - a recognition of many truths - for those who've worked in that kind of business. "Spinal Tap" was hilarious, but I'm here to tell you that there was more truth packed into that movie than anyone who hasn't lived it would ever imagine. GGGR is the same way.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 07:01:01 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2011, 08:11:32 PM »
What made This Is Spinal Tap funny was that there was so much truth in it. All good parody is firmly rooted in truth.

GGGR is good drama for much the same reason...that it is also fairly well rooted in the truth.

One of Mamet's strengths is his ability to craft realistic characters, arm them with realistic dialogue and then dump them into a stressful/suspenseful situation. He sometimes fails at this but his successes are really good.

One of my wife's favorite films is The Edge.

I really liked The Spanish Prisoner as a film that uses "the big con" as a plot device.

Ronin is a great spy movie.

(Did I mention that Mamet is a conservative now?)

RickZ

« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2011, 10:24:49 PM »
I really liked The Spanish Prisoner as a film that uses "the big con" as a plot device.

I think the same for 'House of Games', another con story and the movie which brought Joe Montegna to my attention.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2011, 10:43:42 PM »
Okay, let's shift gears here a little. Let's talk about The Fantastic Four.

No, really.

But the movie I want to talk about is not the big budget attempted blockbuster of 2005. No. Instead, let's take a look at the extremely low budget version of The Fantastic Four that was made in 1994. Never heard of it? Me neither until an hour ago. I just happened to stumble across it and its obscure story. How obscure is this? It's so obscure that you can't even find a reference to it on wikipedia.

You can, oddly enough, find a reference to it at Rotten Tomatoes. You can even find it on youtube...more on that later. But Rotten Tomatoes is where I found this bizarre tale.

Apparently in 1994 an outfit called Constantin Film held the movie rights to The Fantastic Four. In order to keep the rights to the movie they had to actually make it. Or try to make it. So they hired a director, wrote a script, hired a cast and went about making a movie that was never intended to see the light of day. The movie they ended up making in a word, stinks. How big a stinker is it? They hired Roger Corman to direct. Yes, that Roger Corman.

The kicker here is that no one told the cast and crew the movie wasn't intended to be released; they all thought the movie was legit at the time. The fact that the director and cast thought they were making a real movie makes this weirdly fascinating to watch. The actors are clearly trying here (sometimes too much), and the movie does have a sort of hokey charm.

In some places, the movie actually does compare to the 20th Century Fox productions. I think this Dr. Doom is more true to what we'd expect from the comics, and The Thing from the later, big budget films doesn't really look that much better than he does here, although this Thing looks a little reptilian.
 LINK

Fantastic Four 1994 (Part 1)

More parts to this (if you can stand it) at youtube.

So there is your strange bit of movie trivia for the day.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2011, 12:51:06 AM »
Just saw Meet The Parents (again) on television. There are more good scenes than I can name but the one that I remember is where Stiller's character encounters the brain dead stewardess who pretends that there is a big crowd waiting to get on the plane...

meet the parents airport scene