Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 235731 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #840 on: September 29, 2016, 11:46:19 AM »
So, they resurrected their ship of theirs we sent to the briney deep in WWII in 1945?  The same mighty ship that ran from a fight with Sprague at Leyte when all Sprague had were tin cans that fought like demons?

Second times the charm, eh?   ;D

Hope they have a better Admiral than Kurita. 

PS-In that same Leyte battle, sister ship Musashi finally capsized and sank after incurring five different carrier attacks from four different carriers.  Didn't see a sister ship mentioned here...poor souls on earth have this ship and no other to save their bacon from certain extinction.  Bummer dude.

Clip sure has a lot of caucasians in it...what's that all about?   ::pokeineye::

Need round-eye money!

And everybody gets cool first and/or last name space names! 

Pretty sure they should leave the "Blazer's" title out...unless they're targeting chronic huffers...

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #841 on: September 29, 2016, 02:17:15 PM »
So, they resurrected their ship of theirs we sent to the briney deep in WWII in 1945?  The same mighty ship that ran from a fight with Sprague at Leyte when all Sprague had were tin cans that fought like demons?

Second times the charm, eh?   ;D

Hope they have a better Admiral than Kurita. 

PS-In that same Leyte battle, sister ship Musashi finally capsized and sank after incurring five different carrier attacks from four different carriers.  Didn't see a sister ship mentioned here...poor souls on earth have this ship and no other to save their bacon from certain extinction.  Bummer dude.

Clip sure has a lot of caucasians in it...what's that all about?   ::pokeineye::

Need round-eye money!

And everybody gets cool first and/or last name space names! 

Pretty sure they should leave the "Blazer's" title out...unless they're targeting chronic huffers...

Well, there is a reason they called the ship the "Argo" in the American 70's release. I believe they were working off the idea of "Trail Blazers". Translation and re branding in Anime as it comes to North America  has never been spectacular.  With Voltron they actually didn't even get the anime series they were after.. they said "the one with the lions"  and they got Beast King GoLion instead of Mirai Robo Daltanious,and the dialog was made up while watching the episodes... not translated.  Star Blazers got similar treatment, but "it was the first popular English-translated anime that had an overarching plot and storyline that required the episodes to be shown in order. It dealt with somewhat more mature themes than other productions aimed at the same target audience at the time. As a result, it paved the way for future arc-based, plot-driven anime translations... Being marketed to a school-age audience, this animated space opera was bowdlerized by the American editors in order to satisfy the broadcast standards and practices offices of American television stations....Even in its edited American form Star Blazers retains practically all of its uniquely Japanese characteristics in terms of content, plot, character development, and philosophy.. Principal changes in the transformation to Star Blazers included westernization of character names, reduction of personal violence, toning down of offensive language and alcohol use (references to sake were changed to "spring water", and the Doctor's perpetually drunken state was portrayed as merely good humor), removal of sexual fan service, and reduction of references to World War II (though the sunken battleship ruins were still identified as the battleship Yamato in dialogue). The most significant reference removed—and the longest single edit in the series—was a section from episode two depicting the Battleship Yamato's final battle during World War II, including imagery of the captain tied to the helm as he went down with his ship. ... Many fans regard Star Blazers as more "adult" than other cartoons shown in the United States at the time, as personal tragedy, funeral scenes for fallen comrades, and the extinction faced by humanity were left intact. The very Japanese theme of "the honorable enemy" was also a tremendously important aspect of character development; in particular, the major villain of the first series, Desslok, during the second and third seasons, as well as in the later movies."

And its that additional realism in the story telling that captured my imagination in the 70's ( but I never did see them in order as a kid)  and exactly what captured my daughters attention now ( after having her brain addled largely  by the more innocuous Disney sitcoms) . One of the things I like about Anime is that it tends to drive home basic morality, and the importance of moral decision making,  without being preachy.  Respect,  Honor and loyalty  are of course large components of Japanese culture, and I don't think its a problem if my kids gain a little of those qualities either. .

The Yamato has great cultural significance in Japan, much like the USS Constitution here ( and yes the Constitution had to run on occasion...)  and Anime is always Caucasians with big round Disney eyes - and the starring  woman is nearly always a (buxom) blond. The Japanese largely engaged in WWII because they felt culturally they were  insignificant in the larger world, and yes, they largely adopted a "if you can't beat em, join em " attitude during the occupation, and I  think it served  them well for a time (  they are totally screwed now of course)  The decision to bring this series to the United States was that of the  Westchester Film Corporation - which I can't find a lot of information on, but I bet its employees were a bunch of  round eyes - and it was round eyes who gave them space names.  The Japanese names are pretty boring and common.

But yes, the Yamato in this story is a bit of a  Cultural  Phoenix for Japan , in that their wreck gets to be the one that goes on the Journey (in the reboot the wreck  is just camouflaging the real star ship as in the 80s the real  Battleship Yamato  was discovered on the sea bottom in broken bits, and it takes the combined  power of the entire world to launch it.)  but its not a Japanese centric tale -- and speaking of tails..   while there is fan service,  its actually kept pretty toned down.  There is only one "Girls thinking in a bath" scene and seriously, where else could girls go to  do their thinking?? 

Another review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBiga754d5g&index=3&list=PL8IaGw1W9X7aN7-FCWA0AS4Rp9oSEJ5EZ

« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 02:52:40 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #842 on: September 30, 2016, 06:53:11 AM »
Seems pretty detailed, which I guess for a guy of my generation who is accustomed to low-brow slapstick humor in my animation experiences...I struggle getting interested in anything deeper than that...but I understand certain stories are probably more easily translated into animation than live-actor cinematography...it's just hard for me for some reason...I can't really explain it very well I guess beyond what I already attempted.

And I can understand the attachment the Yamato might have in Japanese lore...it did eventually capsize and sink...but it took something like 19 torpedo and bomb hits to do it, she did not go quietly into that briney deep, and that I can respect.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #843 on: September 30, 2016, 08:50:18 AM »
Seems pretty detailed, which I guess for a guy of my generation who is accustomed to low-brow slapstick humor in my animation experiences...I struggle getting interested in anything deeper than that..

I understand completely. 

Out of curiosity - Did you ever see Heavy Metal? Did you like it? Or did you have the same problem?

I understand tat cartoons are just not a  form of story-telling Americans are conditioned to seeing as "serious". Cartoons are for Bugs Bunny , Scooby-doo and the Flintstones and only children watch them.   If you can't get over that hurdle in your mind then Anime will never work for you.. But given the cesspool of American made crap, it may be worth a little effort to try.

Unlike American made TV, when the Japanese set out to produce a show, they already know the beginning, middle and end of the story arc, and while some series introduce filler episodes that do nothing to advance the plot ( if you see an episode count over 100, that is what is happening)  most productions  have 12, or 26 episodes in which to tell their story, there probably won't be a followup series, and if there is, it will be a different story arc.  Most anime are adapted from already  established and well liked Manga, so the stories have been through a sort of quality control, and unlike Hollywood,  Anime directors understand deviating from the Manga is usually a bad thing to do.

There is a live cinematography version of Space Battleship Yamato ( actually its what started me on my adult Yamato kick)   - you can rent it for $5 on Amazon and for what it is, its pretty good, but the story seriously suffers being edited from 13 hours down to 2.  However, I am not sure I could have gotten my kids to watch the Anime if they hadn't seen the live action first. Maybe Yamato is  the anime gateway drug, and you just need that film experience to get you hooked and wanting more? Leading you to Yamato 2199, and then to Steins;gate and Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood. (IMO if you see those three, you have seen the very best the genre has to offer. There are other entertaining rides, but those stand out as exceptional.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #844 on: September 30, 2016, 11:28:25 AM »
Seems pretty detailed, which I guess for a guy of my generation who is accustomed to low-brow slapstick humor in my animation experiences...I struggle getting interested in anything deeper than that..

I understand completely. 

Out of curiosity - Did you ever see Heavy Metal? Did you like it? Or did you have the same problem?

No, I tried...a little...same issue.  I might just have to bite the bullet some night...give it a full attempt.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #845 on: October 04, 2016, 08:34:45 AM »
 Picked up the first season of Ash vs. The Evil Dead and watched the first four ( of ten)  episodes last night.  If You liked (Bruce Cambell vs.)  The Army of Darkness or the Evil Dead movies you will love this series.  Directed by Sam Raimi, starring Bruce Campbell and Lucy Lawless ( yes, the warrior princess)
and features what you would expect, Ash being stupid and funny, and lots of gore.  Other than Campbell looking his age,  this could have been filmed right after Army of Darkness -  same style, same dialogue -- better special effects of course - well when they feel like it :)

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #846 on: October 04, 2016, 09:15:14 AM »
Picked up the first season of Ash vs. The Evil Dead and watched the first four ( of ten)  episodes last night.  If You liked (Bruce Cambell vs.)  The Army of Darkness or the Evil Dead movies you will love this series.  Directed by Sam Raimi, starring Bruce Campbell and Lucy Lawless ( yes, the warrior princess)
and features what you would expect, Ash being stupid and funny, and lots of gore.  Other than Campbell looking his age,  this could have been filmed right after Army of Darkness -  same style, same dialogue -- better special effects of course - well when they feel like it :)

I'm watching Ashe vs Evil Dead. I'm not sure why I like this type of campy, stupid with humor stuff, but I do so I try not to question it. I also like Z nation and the Sharknado stuff.....lol
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #847 on: October 04, 2016, 09:44:00 AM »
My wife wanted to "go to a movie' while we waited for our daughter to finish gymnastics practice a few days ago. Nevermind that there was absolutely nothing in the theater that sparked any interest for me - for her, it's about going to the theater and eating popcorn while you watch a movie. So she let me pick, since I wasn't enthused - which was very considerate.

Being a Jeff Bridges fan, I chose "Hell or High Water", co-starring Chris Pine (new Cap'n Kirk), and Ben Foster (have loved everything he's been in since I first saw him in "30 Days of Night").

The two younger fellas are brothers on a bank robbing spree, and Jeff Bridges is the about-to-retire Texas Ranger fixin to catch 'em.

It was extremely formulaic. Extremely. Did I say extremely? There was literally nothing in this movie that could not have been predicted after watching the first 10 minutes.

It was watchable only because you get to see Jeff Bridges being Jeff Bridges, and seeing two fine young actors play their roles well. Otherwise, there was nothing to separate this film from 1000 films you'd see by accident on cable TV while channel-flipping.

Skip it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 04:04:18 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #848 on: October 04, 2016, 11:32:25 AM »
Sharknado?!

::ohno::

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #849 on: October 04, 2016, 03:07:54 PM »
Sharknado?!

Sharknado...1...2....3....4......I've watched them all.... ::beertoast::
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #850 on: October 04, 2016, 05:28:34 PM »
We rarely attend movies in theatres (last one we saw was Avengers Civil War). I Buy them when they are released on DVD.

The latest one I'm watching is 'Genius', abut the rise of Thomas Wolfe as an author. It stars Colin Firth & Jude Law - Firth plays Wolfe's editor. Very enjoyable (but I was a Literature major) - the dynamic of the battling friendship between the 2 men is intriguing. It also delves into the creative process & how the brain of a genius thinks & associates.

! No longer available
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #851 on: October 04, 2016, 05:29:24 PM »
Sharknado?!

Sharknado...1...2....3....4......I've watched them all.... ::beertoast::

And I wager alcohol was consumed in something more than moderate quantities.   ;D

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #852 on: October 04, 2016, 05:31:29 PM »
We rarely attend movies in theatres (last one we saw was Avengers Civil War). I Buy them when they are released on DVD.

The latest one I'm watching is 'Genius', abut the rise of Thomas Wolfe as an author. It stars Colin Firth & Jude Law - Firth plays Wolfe's editor. Very enjoyable (but I was a Literature major) - the dynamic of the battling friendship between the 2 men is intriguing. It also delves into the creative process & how the brain of a genius thinks & associates.

! No longer available

Nice, has that feel back when America was racist as all get out...but yet people got along well enough...better than now...

That's gotta be propaganda pushed by the damn white man!!!

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #853 on: October 30, 2016, 03:02:47 PM »
This looks a little bit awesome...

! No longer available
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #854 on: March 07, 2017, 08:28:25 AM »
So My daughter, who has a terrible habit of entirely forgetting anything that happened to her more than two years ago,  tells me she does not remember watching "Much Ado About Nothing" with Kenneth Branagh. She is Thirteen. She watched this at 11. I didn't believe her. So I pull up a scene on youtube from the movie and ... she still doesn't remember it.

But in the side bar there is a scene from the David Tennant  version, also with Catherine Tate .. Now I knew Tennant was doing Shakespeare on stage.. but who knew he was good at it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SctmgTOf9IE

I like the Branagh version,  but in many places I felt it was too forced - and in others far to "proper" - I would smile at Branagh's version, but I was laugh out loud at this scene with Tennant. The physical comedy and expressions he and Tate brought to the performance were golden. At least to me. So I go looking  to buy a copy... and  then discover that Josh Whedon did a version in 12 days, at his house. 

https://www.amazon.com/Much-Ado-About-Nothing-Digital/dp/B00ECR7KX2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488895421&sr=8-2&keywords=much+ado+about+nothing+fillion

Okay. $6 on DVD. People loved it or hated it. But  same could be said of Dr. Horrible. I ordered it. I will let you know once I watch it..

However, I failed to find the Tennant version on DVD. But, it is available for streaming at a reasonable price ($6) here :

http://www.digitaltheatre.com/production/details/much-ado-about-nothing-tennant-tate/play

Again, much better than the crap from Hollywood.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #855 on: March 07, 2017, 10:25:53 AM »
Josh Joss Whedon is, himself, some of that crap from Hollywood.  Just sayin'.

Edited to correct name.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 02:40:09 PM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #856 on: March 07, 2017, 11:10:33 AM »
Yeah, Firefly was blind squirrel action, but still good.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #857 on: March 07, 2017, 01:48:00 PM »
Josh Whedon is, himself, some of that crap from Hollywood.  Just sayin'.

I was disappointed when I learned this...but since it's happened so many times I'm grown a callus.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #858 on: March 07, 2017, 02:41:27 PM »
Ya think they'd learn by now to just sthu about their politics thus not alienating half their audiences.  But nooooo ...........
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #859 on: March 08, 2017, 06:46:08 AM »
I've been saying the same thing for so long now I forgot when it started!   :o