Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 229239 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #900 on: August 02, 2017, 06:26:15 AM »
I did mention pirating as an option....

There is no American DVD/Bluray release date yet.  There is a tentative date on Amazon UK for October per-order. Real date hasn't been confirmed for the UK.
If they are smart, they would get it into stores by Christmas,  but its hard to say with these things.  If they were smart they would have put on more of a media blitz about the film like Disney did with Spirited Away--  instead of just e-mailing funimation account subscribers...  I am kinda thinking they aren't that smart.

The movie did well here -grossed over $5 million in 3 weeks in only 300 theaters nationwide.  But they didn't do the media push required to get Americans to go see it and then let a viral effect  drive the traffic ( as it did in Japan) . They got the hardcore  American Anime fans to show up, but not those who would seldom if ever go to see an Anime.  ( Hey I tried my best)  I like this movie far better than Spirited Away myself. I think it could have been much more successful here if more  in the  mainstream culture  had seen it

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #901 on: August 02, 2017, 08:44:51 PM »
They all screw up when they take streaming options away from people based on where they are.  All my streaming options except Spotify told me to take a flying leap when I left America, hence a return to the old habits.

That movie has been out there since late 2016.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #902 on: August 03, 2017, 07:02:21 AM »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #903 on: August 03, 2017, 08:53:26 AM »
They all screw up when they take streaming options away from people based on where they are.  All my streaming options except Spotify told me to take a flying leap when I left America, hence a return to the old habits.

That movie has been out there since late 2016.

Yep. I know I can pretty much pirate anything I want, almost as soon as it is released, sometimes sooner. . However I tend NOT to unless things are not legally available (or likely to become legally available)  in a reasonable amount of time, or they simply want too much money for it. If I want more similar entertainment someday I need to pay the people who produce it so they will make more. I really don't have a problem paying for entertainment I enjoy..

"Your name" is an exception to my usual value rule.. $20 an hour is pretty steep.. Amazon.jp was running a sale on the Yamato 2199 set that brought the price DOWN  to $25 an hour from $40 and as much as I love that series, its not enough to get me to buy it. (now maybe if there was an english dub on it..) Generally for anime I want to be in at $10 an our or less range, and for regular US movies, $2-3

Plus I find its often nice to just have professionally made versions vs Bootlegs I make myself.  (No, I still don't like the idea of just keeping a big harddrive with movies on it.. Unless perhaps I was running it in a RAID array or something and bought a dedicated PC for it-- Streaming works at my house , but not in HD ( I have a DSL line in a rural area and I am thankful streaming works as well as it does)

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #904 on: August 03, 2017, 06:18:38 PM »
Okie dokie.  I won't ask you to refund my purchase price.   ::thumbsup::

While America serves up another reboot, remake, or super hero borefest, Japan just turned out one of the most original stories I've watched in years.  Both me and the wife enjoyed it.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #905 on: August 03, 2017, 08:56:29 PM »
I don't ever pirate anything. I'm perpetually on the receiving end of that ass-reaming, and it sucks. My music is stolen constantly and there's nothing I can do about it short of hiring a lawyer who could never possibly track down and sue all the thieves.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #906 on: August 03, 2017, 10:50:20 PM »
Also not a pirater - when I think of the price for which I'd sell out my reputation or soul...pirating doesn't even make it onto the list.

My brother is constantly collecting bit torrents of movies, & thinking he's gaming the world. In the music world, I make kick-azz mixes that prompt the artists to reach out to me & offer their output for the trade-off of inclusion on my next mix.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #907 on: August 04, 2017, 06:53:14 AM »
Arghhhh!

I haven't always been a pirate...

Do bootleg cassette tapes in Singapore back in the 80's constitute piracy?  Oops, well...those are long gone now...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 06:57:28 AM by Libertas »

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #908 on: August 04, 2017, 09:04:56 AM »
I don't ever pirate anything. I'm perpetually on the receiving end of that ass-reaming, and it sucks. My music is stolen constantly and there's nothing I can do about it short of hiring a lawyer who could never possibly track down and sue all the thieves.

David Wilcox encourages people  at his shows where he is selling CDs to go ahead and bootleg them. I think he really is humble enough that he is still just  jazzed people are listening to him.  The Grateful Dead also encouraged people to record their concerts, and that did not prevent them from becoming extremely successful, and may have contributed to their success. Most of their money came from tours anyway.
If someone pirates something you made, that means they liked it, and they think it has value.  Now if they are getting rich off of printing and selling your CDs en mass, then sure, time to lawyer up. But if someone is bootlegging your songs to his friends, that is free air time- free  advertising. That means more people at your shows, and more people perhaps buying a legit copy, or buying copies of the CDs they don't have,  because Yeah, I want more of this. And really, I understand wanting to make money if possible because its work, but is that really the only reason you are up there playing?

So Toddf, denied any legal way of seeing "Your Name", probably watched it illegally, and liked it. Maybe he will tell someone else who may have never heard of it, and they will buy a copy. Maybe when available, he will buy one because he liked it that much. Most of us know that if we want more material from an artist, we have to pay for it, and that is why people pay David Wilcox for multiple CDs even when he is selling them himself and   says they don't have to.

Sure Pirating is wrong and I seldom go there, but there always  is a potential shiny side for artists.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 09:22:22 AM by Weisshaupt »

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #909 on: August 04, 2017, 07:37:59 PM »
Ironic, it's only music that wants to take my money.  Amazon, artist direct, Bandcamp, you name it. 

If my ability to download something I've legally purchased is taken away, such as what Amazon did with their digital MOVIE (not music) purchases, I'll find a way to get it back, anyway, such as with Game of Thrones.  I bought seasons 1-5, but only watched them through the Roku app, assuming I would just download them when I bugged out.  Amazon took that ability away.  Fine, I downloaded them through "alternative sources" and when season 6 came out, I skipped the middle man.  I feel no guilt.  Rinse and repeat for a season of 24 I bought through Apple, who thought best to take it away when I switched machines 3 times.

Older content, in which Hollywood thought to bribe politicians into voting to block the content from entering the public domain, I feel no guilt.

It's been proven that streaming lowers piracy.  The real world doesn't acknowledge national borders when it comes to watching content.  Refuse to sell me content, I'll find other ways of watching it.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #910 on: August 05, 2017, 12:15:48 PM »
I'm a bad person - I freely admit it.

(there, glad to get that out of the way)

I have three external hard drives that contain my movies (redundancy you know). (sidenote: I can fit all three drives into the box for a single 6-hour VHS videotape! The drives each hold approximately 1600 movies @ 70 minutes each equals 1866 hours of video).  While most represent titles I have purchased over the years, strictly speaking many are pirate copies. I don't peer them, I don't trade them, I watch them (instead of the boob-toob).

I actually started collecting rather innocently. Chronically crappy Internet manifested itself in jerky, jolty video streaming. It's one thing to bide ones time waiting for a page to load holding text and graphics, it's something else entirely to stutter your way through a video! I tended to favor wherever I could cache a video (so that I could view it without the constant interruptions) and soon discovered that I had procrastinated my way into a library of video moments that was interesting and useful to me.

The first move I collected was "Spirited Away" which was on Random's computer. I kept it because it reminds me of her.

I still buy movies (older stuff), mostly through the amazon (hate 'em!), and have found the local library surprisingly resourceful for video stuff (although the wretched masses tend to be brutal on DVDs).

As one of my lost cause buddies likes to say, "I won't be reconstructed and I do not give a damn"
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 12:19:59 PM by Alphabet Soup »

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #911 on: August 12, 2017, 10:29:11 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Wolf-Children-Blu-ray-DVD-Combo/dp/B00ENNUC9Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502593931&sr=8-1&keywords=wolf+children

Wolf Children.

Bought this a  while ago, but just hadn't pulled it off the shelf .. Kids read the Manga and seemed to be very Meh about watching it, and my daughter said it followed the Manga closely, but she enjoyed it more in movie form.  I would swear the setting is a shout out to "My Neighbor Totoro" and the film itself is a nice balance between Miyazaki/Ghibli style  and my man Makoto Shinkai.  It has moments that are as pretty as Shinkai, but the character animation is-- More informal?  Its not really a family friendly kids film   but   , but it  sort of, kinda, has more of that feel. I liked it more than any of the Ghibli films I have seen ( Miyazaki just likes to add.. well.. weird elements that distract from the story telling for me)   Wolf Children is about  werewolves, but  doesn't go anywhere near where an American Studio would take this film.  Its not  as an original story as "Your Name",  but I found it really enjoyable. Anyway ,  another one to check out  the next time you are disgusted with the crap hollywood is producing.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #912 on: August 17, 2017, 09:27:32 AM »

http://filmexodus.com/your-name-finally-coming-to-home-video-this-november/

Okay Your Name has a North American BLu-ray/DVD Release date - November 7th... and the price is.... $35
SO to prevent backward importation, they made it the same price.  Yippee.  As the article says, its rare for a release to come out this soon after Japan.. so that is how they are solving it. Of course, at some point they will let the price drop, but it probably won't be soon.

This edition  DOES include English DUB version as well as the Subs (https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/896458534954696704) -- And yes, I will probably pre-order another copy of the basic edition.  That way I can loan it to friends - most of whom won't watch subtitles..  and it has both DVD and Bluray formats. No word yet on if it has the English vs Japanese Songs. ( I vastly prefer the Japanese versions) -if not included I am totally happy I bought the Japanese edition.. through really I am happy anyway.. If I had gone to see it with the family a third time I would have paid $40 to see it again in a theater without thinking about it  had the opportunity come up

Anyway.. pre-order link is here:

https://www.amazon.com/Your-Name-Blu-ray-DVD-Combo/dp/B074R4KSTM?SubscriptionId=AKIAJZQPQTRCUUNGYHKA&tag=dvdreleasedate-20&linkCode=sp1&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B074R4KSTM

No word yet on (legal)  streaming availability but I am betting Amazon will make it rentable when possible.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #913 on: August 17, 2017, 09:30:45 PM »
What is the over/under on the date Hollywood makes a dumbed down remake?

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #914 on: August 23, 2017, 04:25:56 PM »
Or you can buy Your Name direct from Funimation for $31 after shipping

https://www.funimation.com/shop/home-video/your-name-movie-combo-bld-00622/?source=igodigital

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #915 on: September 08, 2017, 01:20:11 PM »
So...is this new Blade Runner flick coming out in October going to interest me or is it going to piss me off?   ::whatgives::

http://bladerunnermovie.com

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #916 on: September 08, 2017, 06:46:58 PM »
So...is this new Blade Runner flick coming out in October going to interest me or is it going to piss me off?   ::whatgives::

http://bladerunnermovie.com

The film makers have some bona fides in their filmography. The actors are good. The music in the trailer is right. Looks like they haven't completely abandoned the Blade Runner world, but have expanded it outside the perpetually dark and rainy city. The rest, we'll just have to wait and see.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #917 on: September 09, 2017, 10:55:42 AM »
  In the end it will be a remake and disappointing.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #918 on: September 10, 2017, 05:59:12 AM »
Nothing can be better than a movie that turned me on to two B list actors, that I probably would have never become fans of.  Rutger Hauer and Brion James.  That is the mark of a good movie.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #919 on: October 05, 2017, 05:36:54 PM »
And capitalism works , given massive sales of the Japanese release ( 200,000 in the first week)  US preorders for Your Name  have driven the price down to $25.
Currently ranked as #7 most popular pre-order  http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/top.php?show=preorders
Yes. I still want everyone to watch this film.