Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 229176 times)

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #940 on: December 20, 2017, 09:11:33 PM »
40 years and one bloated corpse too late

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #941 on: December 21, 2017, 07:41:11 AM »
We just finished up with "Longmire" last night. Unlike other recent series I've enjoyed, I'm really sad this one is over. There is a montage music scene at the end that I don't want to completely give away, but it shows Walt's daughter Cady with her new boyfriend Zack pounding in "Longmire For Sheriff - Honesty and Integrity" campaign signs into the ground. Eyes started leaking at that moment, I think because it really summed up the entire character of Walt Longmire in such a real way. He was a flawed character, but never a bad man. Even when it was the hard thing to do, he always had honesty and integrity as a core foundation, and even when it took time for him to work through things, you always knew as a viewer that honesty and integrity were gonna win with this guy before all was said and done.

The show managed to explore the shades of gray in real life, without making the character do outright evil things. That's a refreshing departure from how most "dark hero" stories go.

The funniest thing about Longmire was the murder that occurred each week. For such a quiet place, Absaroka County sure had more than its share of killings!

Indeed! Kinda like Perry Mason getting the real killer to confess on the witness stand every single episode!
[/quote

Yep -- agree about Longmire.  Glad I have the first four years CD's and will finish getting the rest when available.  A series that I can re-watch and still enjoy.  Designated Survivor may turn out to be another one, to go along with 'Hell on Wheels' and 'Band of Brothers'
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #942 on: December 21, 2017, 07:54:48 AM »
40 years and one bloated corpse too late

Damn, beat me to it!   ;D

H/T - WZ
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 08:26:17 AM by Libertas »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #943 on: December 24, 2017, 02:24:17 PM »
The Darkest Hour meets the Dumbest People

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5208993/Biopic-Churchill-carries-secondhand-smoke-warning.html

::facepalm::

Caution: Stupid people are posting ridiculous warnings on a film, be prepared to point, mock and laugh uproariously!

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #944 on: December 24, 2017, 03:09:12 PM »
The Darkest Hour meets the Dumbest People

Caution: Stupid people are posting ridiculous warnings on a film, be prepared to point, mock and laugh uproariously!

Hillsdale's Imprimus just had a great feature on this: Three Lessons of Statesmanship by college president Larry Arnn.

Churchill’s strategy in peace can be summarized with the word “economy.” There is much for the government to do. There can be a social safety net, but it should resemble private savings as much as possible and be run efficiently. There can be regulation of many kinds to protect people from infringement of private rights. But all this must be done cheaply, because money held in private hands is a public as well as a private good. If that principle is abandoned, the government grows unaccountable, and majorities will say as they say in America today that they are afraid of their government.

In war and peace, Churchill had a strategy for freedom. They were related. They both required an utter commitment to freedom. They both required recognition of the limits of politics and the limits of war. They both required the protection of the right of the people to control their government.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #945 on: December 25, 2017, 10:38:00 AM »
Sadly, the Brits bought that guns vs butter nonsense and sacked Churchill after the war...and they haven't had much respite from a leftward lurch sans their "Reagan" (Thatcher)...and now they are deeper into the abyss and if we don't go full 180 degrees we're merely a bit behind them...

They just don't make leaders like those anymore...we don't make people wise enough to seek them out either...   ::unknowncomic::

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #946 on: December 25, 2017, 01:45:30 PM »

So, has anyone here seen the movie Darkest Hour?  Thoughts?

Years ago I watched a concert DVD which had Churchill woven into one song, Our Solemn Hour. I thought it was cool. I have watched my DVD countless times. It is an awesome concert. The lead singer, Sharon den Adel is actually sweet, and mother of three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCxb8FwhzK8
When the law becomes a ruse, lawlessness becomes legitimate. -unknown

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #947 on: December 25, 2017, 11:11:24 PM »

Not yet, but Gary Oldman is one of my faves. Never seen him in a role that did not make the film better than it would have been without him, and a few of his roles have been legendary. If you ever get a chance to see him in a foreign film called "The Backwoods", I highly recommend it.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #948 on: December 26, 2017, 09:58:53 AM »
IDP is correct, he made just about everything he was in better.  The first time he came on my radar was in his role as Zorg in The Fifth Element, he was quirky and twisted.  Then I realized he was in that complete dreck called Lost in Space but his role as Dr Smith was a good, the rest of the film pure vomit.  Then he fell off a while for me, saw some of the Potter flicks if they hit cable, meh, not my cup of tea.  Gordon in two Batman's was good, main protagonist in The Book of Eli was very good.  I liked his George Smiley role in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy...he fit my image of John le Carre's character pretty solidly.  He seems to get better with age, so I am looking to maybe catch Darkest Hour this afternoon, or this weekend on matinee if I can't get in today.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #949 on: December 27, 2017, 07:25:57 AM »
I saw The Darkest Hour yesterday, it is not an action movie, it follows Churchill from when he was offered the PM post as Germany was sweeping into Western Europe and through the opening of Operation Dynamo (the Dunkirk evacuation) when he gave his famous speech of "never surrender" in Parliament.  So it's a brief moment in time for Churchill, but it defines his wartime leadership that got England through The Blitz, the U-Boat terror and eventually victory with the Allies.  Oldman appears to have thrown himself into the role and I think he did a damn good job of it.  I typically go comatose during stuffy English dramas filled with endless dialogue (I call it the Masterpiece Theater Effect!) but in this case I found it interesting, probably because it is history and a character I admire.  My 2 bits FWIW.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #950 on: December 27, 2017, 07:46:55 AM »
Also, in a bit of irony...at a time when another insufferable Hollywood flick cheerwhoring the Pravda on L Street (where they were for so long before getting new digs 2 blocks east in Franklin Square)...celebrating their publication of the illegally disclosed Pentagon Papers...another Graham blows his brains out...

http://www.showbiz411.com/2017/12/25/historys-tragic-repeat-washington-post-heir-bill-graham-suicide-54-years-after-publisher-father

...yeah, boo hoo.

And boo on this cheerwhore-fest of a film!

Yes, the brave Pravda on L Street published purloined government papers and the idiot Supreme's codified their right to print anything without consequence, which has led us to this point in time when dreck and outright lies can be peddled against non-Progs to try, convict and destroy them publically and the truth gets trampled into the dirt!  Where is the media's praise of the brave WikiLeaks releases?  Oops, that makes Progs look like the shatsacks they are, can't have that!

I hope everybody in that flick or watching that dreck drops dead where they stand!  They might as well be holding a rally for Satan!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #951 on: December 29, 2017, 07:24:21 AM »
More on the presstitute self-love flick...the second item in the article...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-lies-of-the-crown-and-the-post-1514505833

...I take historical inaccuracies personally...they are at their essence "lies"!

And the lies of that movie combined with the over-the-top self-gratification makes it an easy addition to my BANNED! list.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #952 on: February 01, 2018, 11:41:13 AM »

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #953 on: February 17, 2018, 05:17:03 PM »
Looks like Denis Villeneuve (the director of "Prisoners" and "Blade Runner 2049") is going to take a crack at "Dune". I absolutely love both those movies. Both are very smart movies that tell layered stories that require thought and understanding - my favorite kind of film. Herbert's "Dune" books are definitely that - on steroids - and that aspect was missing from David Lynch's 80s version of the story. I love Lynch's version for other reasons - some of them purely nostalgic - so I'm pretty excited to see how this gets treated by Villeneuve.

https://www.avclub.com/shots-fired-denis-villeneuve-says-his-dune-will-be-st-1822251306
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #954 on: February 18, 2018, 01:09:16 PM »
The Lynch version stayed pretty close to the Herbert tome, but it only told the story of the first book in the series and is kind of campy in parts, overall though I don't mind it, it was a decent effort, but like many in the genre if people didn't read the book they wouldn't know WTF was going on.  It isn't easy material to bring to the big screen...Herbert literally created an entire new human universe and cast of characters and such a novel timeline and unique power groups that to do it justice there has to be discussion of that genesis into the year 10,191 and should go at least as far as the 4th book (The God Emperor) or even Chapterhouse if they want to close the circle from the Butlerian Jihad.  The SciFi series doing the first three books was decent, there were things I liked about it and things I did not, but is was decent overall.  The sheer depth and volume of the books is such that over-ambitious efforts like Jodowowsky's 10 hour epic running way over and straining relationships killed it (the storyboards from that effort are interesting as heck though!) while others never got off the ground because of previous failures.  I would like to see justice done on the silver screen one day, but one book doesn't cut it, so a series has to be entered into and seriously pursued or what's the point?

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #955 on: February 18, 2018, 09:22:40 PM »
Been waiting for this since, like . . .forevuh . . .!

Black Panzer
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:56:32 PM by Pablo de Fleurs »
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #956 on: February 19, 2018, 08:13:30 AM »
That's...spooky!

Don't forget to sign up new recruits!

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #957 on: March 03, 2018, 09:32:45 AM »

I very much enjoyed it (watched it last night on DVD) - even the imagined underground scene.
When the French president calls Churchill “delusional”, it made me think of the relentless attacks upon Donald Trump. Though no Churchill, Trump’s persistence & punching back through a virtual wall of hatred & criticism (by an enemy no less dangerous than the Nazis) is inspiring.

I think it portrays an imperfect man, with an irascible temperament & several bad habits, who is able to lead despite himself and his enemies. A man who casts a great vision & then leads others towards its achievement.

It embodies the spirit of men who fight on despite desperate odds & who never give up. Such men are raised up for "such a time as this", throughout history - and their courage, in spite of their fears, can give us all a reason to fight on.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #958 on: March 05, 2018, 07:55:44 AM »
And Churchill was a Francophile up until they became defeatist...he even had a sink a few of their ships so the cheese-eating surrender monkey's would give them to Hitler.  I hear Hollywood Feminazi's are all a twatter over Oldman winning Best Actor...very upset vagina's didn't sweep the top awards.  Yeah, I feel their pain...but am not moved one millimeter...

::mooning::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #959 on: March 05, 2018, 12:35:54 PM »
Once again Leftist lie like their hero Satan...after word being passed to "tone down" the political asshattery...

https://www.weaselzippers.us/377097-jimmy-kimmels-divisive-politically-charged-oscars-could-be-least-watched-in-history/

...if that is "toning it down" then Leftists are not just deaf to real American's...but just plain deaf period!

Just as well...maybe they won't hear the angry mobs hunting them down...   ;D

https://www.weaselzippers.us/377116-kobe-bryant-winning-an-oscar-proves-hollywood-is-full-of-hypocrites/

Yeah, when Kobe was cheating on his idiot wife...and the raping included the back-ddor variety...

But there pissed at something Oldman was alleged to have done...everybody on this planet knows what Kobe did, these sick Hollywood hypocrites don't give a flip ab out that though...Kobe gets the free minority pass card...

Live to rape another day!  Damn, ain't swell being colored?!  You can rape asses and have yours kissed!!!

A WZer nails ii!  Out with that stuffy dated old statue, bring in the new bling!

Perfect fit!