Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 232235 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #460 on: February 19, 2014, 11:24:40 AM »
Oh, so another case of a book that makes you think butts into a Hollywood that just wants to make you feel lost-in-translation thing!

At least I have Michelle to commiserate with!   :D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #461 on: February 19, 2014, 12:41:15 PM »
Oh, so another case of a book that makes you think butts into a Hollywood that just wants to make you feel lost-in-translation thing!

Yes. Exactly. But in this case, you really don't find all of this out till the last chapter, with the narrator telling it to you, and even then it feels rushed, so I don't know how you stick it into a movie.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #462 on: February 19, 2014, 12:46:18 PM »

Yes. Exactly. But in this case, you really don't find all of this out till the last chapter, with the narrator telling it to you, and even then it feels rushed, so I don't know how you stick it into a movie.

In that case I guess I can let up on 'em a bit...in other circumstances Hollywood has not been shy about rewriting things to fit a more standard plot line, it appears they at least tried.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #463 on: February 20, 2014, 05:37:04 PM »
The Lego Movie has someone's panties in a bunch. At the weekly Standard no less.  At least I think his panties are in a bunch.. maybe he liked it,  either way I am not sure why he bothered to write about it..

The critics who like The Lego Movie—and that is most of them, as the movie has a head-spinning 96 percent “fresh” rating at the review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes—have fallen over themselves to remark on its “subversive” qualities. By this they mean that though it may have been made by major multinational conglomerates, it somehow manages, without those conglomerates knowing it, to blow the whistle satirically on their soul-deadening conformist hypnosis. The reviewers seem to think that it’s a modern version of the Stalinist mural Diego Rivera painted in the lobby of Rockefeller Center—only rather than having it destroyed, John D. Rockefeller Jr. had it mass-marketed!

They’re suckers, the lot of them. The “subversive” message of The Lego Movie is really just part of the overall marketing strategy shared by the studio, the distributor, and Lego—the perfect way to ensure that a corporate product gets itself treated kindly by liberal critics as it attempts to break free of the limitations of its kiddie audience.

And so, that is a good thing right? 

Its Corporate propaganda!   Seriously, a movie made entirely with Lego products becomes a commercial for that product? I couldn't have guessed!

I saw it with the kids. Opening day in fact.  And you know that I have overly sensitive radar for Political (or other propaganda)  and use them as teaching moments ( the kids get lectured all t he way home when they choose the wrong movie to see. They, as a consequence, are choosing more wisely now..)  There was no lecture on the way home from the Lego movie. The kids even asked why there was no lecture.  Yes the "bad guy" is "lord business", and that seems to be more of an artifact that he is a stand-in for a child's suit-wearing working father,  who doesn't think his Legos are for playing with.   The political message, if there is one, is so muddled as to be indistinguishable.  The closest I can express it is  "Conformity is good, sometimes, and other times not so much, and sometimes its a good idea  to play by the rules and other times its fun to be creative" Really, the movie is more about a Cat poster caption than anything else.   There are times in the film  when the creative Master Builders  have to "follow the rules' and the non-creative  rule followers ( the protagonist)  have to be creative. Mostly its a long string of (sometimes groaningly bad and other times hysterical) jokes.  (And yeah, it would totally suck to be interested in a girl and then find out she is dating Batman.)

My kids came  home from the Lego movie encouraged to get out toys they already own and to be creative with them, vs getting on the computers.   Yeah that SUCKS!

And the satire of the trendy, stupid, conformist cesspool of a culture we live in is dead on. You want to name the bad guy "lord business" and claim its somehow capitalism that causes this conformity so you can fool stupid lefty reviewers into liking it?  Go for it- it was the only slightly annoying aspect of the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag_JRtK07gQ#t=0

$38 coffee! Awesome.

And that dang song..  the perky, meaningless, popularity focused tripe that PERFECTLY EMBODIES the Liberal way of looking at the world- and how EVERYTHING IS AWESOME.  Having no job is awesome. Obamacare is Awesome. Govt Spying is Awesome. Debt is Awesome!  The Song is the liberal drumbeat of denial --- Listen to the whole thing.. listen to the lyrics. They are hysterical. Oh, yeah, than this thing is Trending as a popular song on Billboard. Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StTqXEQ2l-Y

Now I can't read Zerohedge without that song in my head.. because who can read Zerohedge and not come to the conclusion that EVERYTHING IS AWESOME

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #464 on: February 20, 2014, 08:14:03 PM »
When we were growing up TV was just coming into its own. Barely past the novelty stage it was starting to realize its potential for shaping attitudes instead of merely whetting appetites. I (fondly) remember the cartoons. They all seemed to have both subliminal meanings and double entendre. the cool thing for kids (especially young kids) was to "get" the cartoons. The largest agenda I recall being practiced from the cartoons of my youth (well, the cartoons that were enjoying airing on TV at the time) were the war propaganda cartoons with Bugs Bunny & co. They were fun, they were funny, and they weren't insulting to ones intelligence.

When I reached that point in my life where I was no longer a kid but had kids of my own I tried to take an active part in their development of TV discriminating skills. I would steer them towards stuff I would prefer they watch and away from the really stupid crap. It didn't always work - but sometimes it did.

And that brings me to Pokemon. When Random came over for a weekend and turned on Pokemon I had a WTF! moment. That was some seriously bizarre stuff! But she adored it and it appeared safe enough. She was about 6 when the first full-length movie came out "Pokemon - Mewtwo Strikes Back" and I got to take her to the movies to see it. The thing I remember about it was that there was no ulterior agenda. They never got a lecture - except to treat each other the way they would prefer to be treated (sound familiar?). The kids in that theater seemed to enjoy the movies like I remembered from my youth.

I had the pleasure of squiring Random to several of the sequels (I can't remember how many) and they were, more or less, the same. Nothing outstanding, nothing with an earth-rattling relevance. Just pleasant, engaging, simple, safe, entertaining. The characters were relentlessly cute, the plot-lines were simplistic and unabashedly noble, and the dialog was syrupy and completely nonthreatening.

Thank you Pokemon, you gave my child some entertainment, some solace, and a warm respite from the harsher realities of life. Job well done.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #465 on: February 20, 2014, 10:27:06 PM »

When I reached that point in my life where I was no longer a kid but had kids of my own I tried to take an active part in their development of TV discriminating skills. I would steer them towards stuff I would prefer they watch and away from the really stupid crap. It didn't always work - but sometimes it did.

And that brings me to Pokemon. When Random came over for a weekend and turned on Pokemon I had a WTF! moment. That was some seriously bizarre stuff! But she adored it and it appeared safe enough. She was about 6 when the first full-length movie came out "Pokemon - Mewtwo Strikes Back" and I got to take her to the movies to see it. The thing I remember about it was that there was no ulterior agenda. They never got a lecture - except to treat each other the way they would prefer to be treated (sound familiar?). The kids in that theater seemed to enjoy the movies like I remembered from my youth.

And its still that way -- they are on Season 17 of Pokemon - and its still the same formulaic story- and its still just as inane and harmless, with some morality about honor, honesty and good sportsmanship thrown in. Did Random play the game and collect the cards too?  My son actually has a gaming club at school and Pokemon is one of the games they play ( along with settlers and dominion) - so like the Lego movie the commercial aspect of Pokemon (collect em all!) encourages them to interact with something besides the all-addicting light box, so I am happy.

Its just sad that every time I take my kids to the movies or turn on the TV ,  I cringe like I am going to be bludgeoned with some stupid liberal indoctrination agenda, because I might be.  Maybe its because of that I don't find corporate propaganda like the Lego Movie very trying- it seems mild by comparison.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #466 on: February 23, 2014, 12:03:28 PM »
We watched the movie "Nebraska" last night.

Really a great flick! I'm gonna watch it again.

Bruce Dern said he's waited for a role like this for 77 years, which is how old he is! He's an academy award contender for his role in this movie.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #467 on: February 25, 2014, 01:20:28 AM »
Okay, so what are we interested in seeing on the big screen this year?

So far I am most interested in this:

I am not a comic book person but I have to say that I have been seriously entertained over the last decade and a half by a lot of movies that have originated from comic books. Some of them I had heard of and some, like this one, I am blissfully unaware of until it shows up at the cinema.

Anyway, this looks promising...has a sort of "Firefly" flavor to it. And what's not to like about a genetically modified raccoon with a talent for firearms? And, btw...that's Vin Diesel as the plant thing.

If you want to know where this movie is heading here is a vid with some background on the comic stuff:

BTW...ever trapped a racoon? They are vicious.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 02:29:43 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #468 on: February 25, 2014, 02:12:55 AM »
Not interested at all: Noah (because eco angle), Pompeii (because looks soap opera-ish), Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (because...know the story, yawn)

Sort of interested in but wait for video: Amazing Spiderman 2 (because why so many villains?), X-Men Days of something, something (because, yawn, x-men again)

Interested in somewhat: Captain America 2 (somewhat rather than really interested because Redford is in it which is blech), Edge of Tomorrow (because even though it's another Tom Cruise vehicle it has Bill Paxton who is usually worth the price of admission...other than that it's Groundhog Day with alien invaders)

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #469 on: February 27, 2014, 12:45:41 PM »
I finally got around to watching "The Big Lebowski".

What an odd movie. I was entertained throughout, although sometimes I couldn't really tell why. There were a few laugh-out-loud moments, which for me, is very unusual. Comedy movies don't usually evoke much more than a smirk from me. Jeff Bridges is one of my faves these days. John Goodman was awesome.

I'd give a 3.5 out of 5.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #470 on: February 28, 2014, 06:44:24 AM »
It is odd but pretty good.  I liked Goodman's role, seemed form-fitted just for him. 

A local radio show love's playing The Dude's "Well, that's just your opinion, man" line whenever they want to pooh-pooh someones statement.

::hysterical::

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #471 on: March 01, 2014, 11:29:03 PM »
So, last night I watched a movie by accident. It was "Basic" which starred Travolta and a few others.

Synopsis:

A sadistic drill sergeant (Samuel L. Jackson) takes a group of Army Rangers into a Panamanian jungle for a live fire exercise during a hurricane. Only two come back alive and the mystery is just what, exactly, happened out there. Travolta is a former Ranger and current DEA agent who is tasked with interrogating both survivors to solve the mystery. As you might expect the stories from each survivor do not exactly come off the same. Who is lying and who is telling the truth? Is anyone telling the truth? Travolta has to figure it out and now we are off to the races. And, for atmosphere, the entire movie (with the exception of one or two flashback sequences) takes place at night in a hurricane so it's dark and wet and noisy.

This is, without a doubt, the most confusing plot, script and movie I have probably ever seen. And it is on purpose, apparently. This is the ultimate cinematic example of a literary gimmick called the "shaggy dog story." Honestly, I had never heard of this. I mean, I've heard shaggy dog stories before but I didn't know that there was an actual name for it in literature. Here is how wikipedia sums it up:

In its original sense, a shaggy dog story is an extremely long-winded anecdote characterized by extensive narration of typically irrelevant incidents and terminated by an anticlimax or a pointless punchline.

Shaggy dog stories play upon the audience's preconceptions of joke-telling. The audience listens to the story with certain expectations, which are either simply not met or met in some entirely unexpected manner. A lengthy shaggy dog story derives its humour from the fact that the joke-teller held the attention of the listeners for a long time (such jokes can take five minutes or more to tell) for no reason at all, as the end resolution is essentially meaningless.

Example (brief example...there is one in a Mark Twain book that goes on for four or five pages):

A boy owned a dog that was uncommonly shaggy. Many people remarked upon its considerable shagginess. When the boy learned that there are contests for shaggy dogs, he entered his dog. The dog won first prize for shagginess in both the local and the regional competitions. The boy entered the dog in ever-larger contests, until finally he entered it in the world championship for shaggy dogs. When the judges had inspected all of the competing dogs, they remarked about the boy's dog: "He's not that shaggy."

In this case, nearly the entire movie is one big huge shaggy dog story and when the "big reveal" comes at the end the viewer is left holding the bag with nothing to show for the time invested in watching it. One professional movie reviewer said that perhaps it would be possible to mentally put everything together so that it eventually makes sense but it would take a minimum of half a dozen viewings and that's pretty hard to do with a movie that you really probably wish you hadn't seen the first time after the lights come up. So, the joke is on the viewer..."ha, ha, made you buy a ticket and this is what you get for your time and money."

And it's too bad because Travolta, Jackson and the others do a passable job of performing. The script is mostly engaging and the action is convincing. It's just that about half way through, after you have been exposed to the third of fourth plot twist (there are seemingly endless plot twists) you begin to realize that 1) you aren't sure at all what is going on and 2) that you may never know what's going on. Then at the very end you think that finally it all begins to make sense (sort of) and the final plot twist rears its ugly head and only then do you figure out that you have been had.

Now don't get me wrong...I personally like plot twists. mrs. trapeze will annoyingly attempt to figure out how every single movie we watch is going to end up (and usually does) so it's always nice to find one which has a truly surprise ending. Probably one of the best examples of that type of movie is "The Usual Suspects" which posed the question: Who is Keyser Soze? When you find out at the end of the movie it is both surprising and satisfying. Not so with "Basic" because the surprise ending gives you thoughts of tracking down everyone responsible for this movie and violently killing them.

How to describe the end of "Basic" without just coming out and telling you the "surprise" ending? Well, it would be like watching the entire ninth season of "Dallas" and then being told that none of it was real, that Pam Ewing just dreamed that Bobby had died at the end of season eight. Or watching the entire series of "Lost" and finding out on the final episode that the writers had no idea at all how to tie up all the loose ends and just decided to fake out the audience with some kind of an afterlife ending.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 11:46:31 PM by trapeze »

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #472 on: March 01, 2014, 11:35:21 PM »
And, in case you missed it elsewhere on the web, you will probably NOT want to shell out your movie ticket buying money for the new Liam Neeson action vehicle, "Non-Stop."

Why?

Well, it insults conservatives with the villain that they choose to use. You may read about it (rather succinctly) here. Everything at that link is a spoiler so if you are bound and determined to see this movie you should not click through. But I won't be seeing it. I refuse to pay to be insulted.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #473 on: March 01, 2014, 11:40:58 PM »
I finally got around to watching "The Big Lebowski".

What an odd movie. I was entertained throughout, although sometimes I couldn't really tell why. There were a few laugh-out-loud moments, which for me, is very unusual. Comedy movies don't usually evoke much more than a smirk from me. Jeff Bridges is one of my faves these days. John Goodman was awesome.

I'd give a 3.5 out of 5.

I also just recently watched this movie for the first time. I, too, enjoyed it. Chock full of adult language and some nudity so viewers be fore warned in that respect. But, it was an enjoyable and unusual movie which is not common these days. It is a Cohen brothers film and that perhaps explains it. They either hit it out of the park or they don't. But, as you watch the film you realize (or I did, anyway) that you have known people similar to the lead characters and it is interesting to see people like that thrown into a truly bizarre situation.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #474 on: March 02, 2014, 02:18:02 PM »
http://chicksontheright.com/posts/item/25488-i-found-out-what-liam-neeson-s-new-movie-is-about-so-i-m-not-going-to-see-it-fyi

Anywho, here's the setup: 

Neeson plays a "burned-out, alcoholic flight marshal hoping for a nice easy flight in first class, where after sneaking a smoke and drink, he might be able to catch a little shut-eye.  A text message informing him that one person on the flight will die every twenty-minutes unless $150 million is wired to an account, ruins that plan. Counting pilots and crew, there are around 150 souls on board. Marks has 20 minutes to figure out which one is the bad guy. Red herrings abound. Is it one of the many actors whose faces we recognize but names we can't remember? People start to die. Marks is fingered as the hijacker. Who's doing this? Why are they doing this? What is their motive?"

And here's your spoiler:

...the villain is not a hijacker but a terrorist -- someone who wants to murder everyone on the plane to further a political goal.

The terrorist is a 9/11 family member. Yes, you read that right; the terrorist is a 9/11 family-member who lost a loved-one in the World Trade Center on that terrible September morning.

It gets worse…

After 9/11,  this 9/11 family member-turned-terrorist then joined the military but found himself disillusioned by the pointless wars.

And now…

The 9/11 family member-turned-terrorist is upset because America hasn’t done enough to ensure there will never be another 9/11. And so he figures that if he can get an air marshal blamed for a terrorist attack, America will wake up and anally probe us before we're allowed on a plane, or something.

It gets worse…

The villain's sidekick is a member of the American military willing to murder 150 innocent people for a payday.

It gets worse…

The one passenger on the plane who is forever helpful, kind, reasonable, noble, and never under suspicion is a Muslim doctor dressed in traditional Muslim garb including a full beard.

And there you go.

I'm actually shocked that the villain wasn't a Tea Party member.  But I digress.

Hollywood can totally suck it.
>
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #475 on: March 02, 2014, 06:10:46 PM »
Well.....I watched NON Stop last nite. We went because we liked Neeson in the Taken flicks. It is as advertised. Left wing propaganda, but you don't really know it until the end of the movie and it isn't so overtly thrown in your face as it was in the ( Was it?) White House Down flick until the very end.

But it's there. The flick takes your mind off the left wing antics by allowing Neeson's character to "confess", so to speak, as to why he isn't a good man, which literally makes him a hero to those on the plane. ( The ultimate liberal feel good moment is what I called it)

Actually, it followed the script of White House Down. Agent, down on his luck, becomes hero...so to speak.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #476 on: March 07, 2014, 01:59:49 PM »
"The Lego Movie" = Delightful.

Lil one had the day off school, so we went to the matinee. What a gem this movie is!

The story is boilerplate "regular guy discovers the hero inside" stuff. But the backdrop is an interesting world, with "reveals" scattered throughout that nurse along your understanding of what's going on - until the end, when your hunches finally pay off in a ridiculously delightful revelation.

The hat-tips to characters, concepts, and quotes from other films are so numerous, it may bear a second or third viewing to catch them all. They even prominently hat-tip "V-ger" from "Star Trek the Motion Picture". The timelessness of the Lego brand is prominent throughout. There were at least a dozen "laugh out loud" moments, when I missed what was said next because I was laughing too hard.

If you need a bit of whimsey, see it.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #477 on: March 08, 2014, 04:54:51 PM »
The whole family saw The Lego movie. The youngest wanted to see it but for some odd reason the rest of us wanted to go too! I never go to branded movies like this but we were going in the afternoon (a time we rarely go) and it just seemed right to blow off the afternoon as a family.

I didn't hate it, in fact, it was rather fun. Frankly, it was better than many movies I've regretted forking over money for (Rango!).

We have now taken the Awesome song and sing it out when ever it feels appropriate like when we hear something stupid from the left.

I will not watch Non-Stop. Couldn't pay me. It's insulting. I remember once when I told a co-worker I didn't go to movie I found offensive or insulting and as a typical lib preceded to inform me she wasn't so close-minded.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #478 on: March 09, 2014, 06:40:01 AM »
This and "Unbroken" are the only 2 movies I'm anticipating.

300: Rise of an Empire - Official Trailer 1 [HD]
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #479 on: March 10, 2014, 06:47:52 AM »
Yeah I'll watch those Alan.   ::thumbsup::

Caught the second Hunger Games flick last night on PPV, not bad, the story continues...so they've successfully sucked me in to seeing the next one.