Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 229289 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #520 on: July 24, 2014, 10:51:58 PM »
Okay, just found this and if you are a fan then you have to read it all the way through. It's "Galaxy Quest: The Oral History" which deals out a LOT of trivia that I never knew about the film. I actually saw it in the theater when it came out...dragged mrs. trapeze to it because I was absolutely sure that it was going to be great. And of course, it was. I got a DVD of the thing and can't pass it by when I see it while channel surfing.

Gordon: “By Grabthar’s Hammer” was a temp line. It was basically the Hammer of Thor, but Grabthar just sounded so silly. I kept meaning to change it, but around the production offices, they started to make t-shirts, it started to sink in a little bit.

Rickman: The ending scene, where Kwellek is dying, and I say the “Grabthar’s” line for him. There were all these different layers with these characters. It is such a great acting challenge. You are only as good as the script, really.

Long: The funniest line, at the mall. “By Grabthar’s Hammer . . .what a savings.” I just saw Nick Frost and he said he and Simon Pegg and all those guys, that’s the line they quote all the time.

Gordon: The line that I like the most when I’m watching with an audience – because it gets this delayed rolling laughter – was one I knew was great when I typed it. I hate it when people say this, but it surprised me when I wrote it. It’s when Sigourney says, “We gotta get out of here before one of those things kills Guy!”

Rockwell: I wanted to ennoble the coward archetype. I thought of the best cowards in cinematic history, like John Turturro in “Miller’s Crossing.” When we did the shuttle scene I drank four cups of coffee and downed two Excedrin. I wanted to be so hyped that I would have a nervous breakdown on the shuttle. I don’t know if it worked but I was very hyper and freaking out. I think I had a couple beers to come down.

Mitchell: Sam Rockwell in this movie, man. I die every time. “Did you guys ever WATCH the show?!?”

Johnson: “Did you guys ever WATCH the show?!?” That’s my favorite moment.

Rockwell: Guy is a cheeseball. And a Trekkie geek. But he’s a coward. My template was Bill Paxton in “Aliens” mixed with Michael Keaton in “Night Shift.”

Shalhoub: My part as written – we basically had to throw it all out because it didn’t work with me in there. I mean, we couldn’t figure out how to make that work. So Dean said, “Look, we’ll invent a new character as we go along.”

Parisot: Tony and I were talking all the time, “There’s nothing here, there’s nothing here, what are we going to do, what are we going to do?”

Shalhoub: It’s a tribute to the other actors that they were open to us changing my lines every day. Usually, when you come to work, people want to know what’s going to happen.

Parisot: Tony brought up David Carradine in “Kung Fu” [another example of a non-Asian actor playing an Asian character] and the story goes — I don’t know if it’s true — that David Carradine was completely stoned all of the time on that show. Dialogue would just come out of his head and people would just stare at each other and think, “Where did that come from?” We knew we couldn’t do a stoner because we needed to hit a PG-13, but we basically suggested that.

Rockwell: Tony played it like a failed Scientologist.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 11:03:00 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #521 on: July 28, 2014, 01:28:03 PM »
So I venture out and Watch "Lucy" last night. First, Scarlette Johanson is smokin hot......But the movie wasn't. I didn't like the evolution angle, the beginning of the movie ( and I guess the end) as a single cell, and Smokin Hot Scarlette asking me what I have I done with my life, which maybe the question was rhetorical, but knowing hollywood, I'm sure not. Plus, instead of a naked Johansson, I get to see the "first" Lucy, a naked ape with a humanoid face.

And the plot.  She was used to carry drugs, it leaks in her stomach and turns her brain into a wonderment to solve the cosmos....And the movie reminds you of it the whole time....Lucy at 20%....at 40%....brain at 70%.....yada, yada, yada. Along the way, she vomits "pure energy"(?), turns into some sort of black goo, creates a superchip for Freeman and the movie (thankfully) ends as a single cell.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #522 on: July 28, 2014, 04:39:36 PM »
So I venture out and Watch "Lucy" last night. First, Scarlette Johanson is smokin hot......But the movie wasn't. I didn't like the evolution angle, the beginning of the movie ( and I guess the end) as a single cell, and Smokin Hot Scarlette asking me what I have I done with my life, which maybe the question was rhetorical, but knowing hollywood, I'm sure not. Plus, instead of a naked Johansson, I get to see the "first" Lucy, a naked ape with a humanoid face.

And the plot.  She was used to carry drugs, it leaks in her stomach and turns her brain into a wonderment to solve the cosmos....And the movie reminds you of it the whole time....Lucy at 20%....at 40%....brain at 70%.....yada, yada, yada. Along the way, she vomits "pure energy"(?), turns into some sort of black goo, creates a superchip for Freeman and the movie (thankfully) ends as a single cell.

LOL. You had me at "smokin hot."
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #523 on: July 28, 2014, 06:50:35 PM »

LOL. You had me at "smokin hot."

I guess you need to see the movie....lol

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #524 on: July 28, 2014, 09:25:28 PM »
The problem is with the premise: that we only use 10% of our brain. I am pretty sure that even those who are functionally retarded use way more than 10% of their brain. We use almost every bit of our brain. If someone ever tells me that nonsense I challenge them to go and see a brain surgeon and ask them to remove the parts that they aren't using. Or I remind them how even a mild head injury can have very deleterious effects.

Now, that said, I know that I just posted on a movie (Snowpiercer) that requires you to pretty much ignore the premise in order to enjoy the movie but I would hazard to guess that that isn't the case with this one. I would guess that with this movie the "we use only 10% of our brain" premise is presented as "fact" in order to make the movie work. A subtle distinction, I know, but consider this: What they could have done...just say that these chems increased her ability to use her brain, etc. rather than to say that she is now able to use 100% of her brain.

However, that perhaps gets a little too close to "Limitless" except for all of the supernatural mental effects.

Ah, well...at least Johansson is smoking hot.

Still waiting for "Guardians of the Galaxy" to start in a few days.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #525 on: July 29, 2014, 06:56:47 AM »
The problem is with the premise: that we only use 10% of our brain. I am pretty sure that even those who are functionally retarded use way more than 10% of their brain. We use almost every bit of our brain. If someone ever tells me that nonsense I challenge them to go and see a brain surgeon and ask them to remove the parts that they aren't using. Or I remind them how even a mild head injury can have very deleterious effects.

Now, that said, I know that I just posted on a movie (Snowpiercer) that requires you to pretty much ignore the premise in order to enjoy the movie but I would hazard to guess that that isn't the case with this one. I would guess that with this movie the "we use only 10% of our brain" premise is presented as "fact" in order to make the movie work. A subtle distinction, I know, but consider this: What they could have done...just say that these chems increased her ability to use her brain, etc. rather than to say that she is now able to use 100% of her brain.

However, that perhaps gets a little too close to "Limitless" except for all of the supernatural mental effects.

^^^ That!!!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #526 on: July 29, 2014, 08:20:24 AM »
I only need the primal part of my brain to enjoy a Scarlett Johansson movie.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #527 on: July 29, 2014, 08:22:48 AM »
 ::bashing::

I try to scroll down but I still only get as far as the waist...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #528 on: July 29, 2014, 01:29:29 PM »

Yes, the 10% of brain function is presented as fact....so was the "we came from apes" aspect of the movie. I'm not sure it was only to make the movie work. It could have been made without using percentage of brain function and we were forced fed the % throughout the flick.

I'm also waiting on Guardians of the Galaxy. Turn on the Boob tube and we are inundated with promos and the claim of best Marvel movie, which better make it fantastic since I really like the Marvel movies.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #529 on: July 29, 2014, 02:22:21 PM »
The "only use 10% of our brain" claim is similar to the "98% of DNA is junk" claim.  For a long time that claim was made about our genetics.  Now they're getting around to learning that a lot of those "junk" genes are responsible for unexpected things.  To me, neither claim ever made any sense simply because nature abhors anything wasteful. It would make no sense to assemble a complex organ like a brain, with the significant metabolic cost of maintaining it, only for 90% of it to be useless.

The more truthful assessment would be to say "at present we are incapable of understanding what 90% of it does", but that's too much like humility I guess.  A lot of things that were scientific gospel for generations end up being revised with previously unavailable information. Yet for some reason this doesn't deter the continued assertions about things like manmade global warming.

Humanity in general is due for a nice serving of Humble Pie.  Good news, we're going to get it.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #530 on: July 29, 2014, 03:47:29 PM »
Humanity in general is due for a nice serving of Humble Pie.  Good news, we're going to get it.

Unrelated to the topic, but directly relevant to your comment...

Romans 14:11

For it is written: “‘As I live,’ saith the Lord, ‘every knee shall bow to Me, and every tongue shall confess to God.’”

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Re: Trap's Movie Thread (NEW MOVIE ALERT!)
« Reply #531 on: July 31, 2014, 10:19:45 PM »
Okay so, MAJOR ALERT...

"Guardians of the Galaxy" is getting a 90% positive rating at RottenTomatoes and the reviews are NOT saying that it is cerebral or has deep truths or societal commentary. Instead they are saying that it is fun, funny, visually arresting, a throwback to the good old days, etc. It is being compared (in spirit) to "Galaxy Quest." That's a pretty good endorsement in and of itself.

I will be seeing it on Saturday with my daughter and (get this) my brother and his three kids who are in town on vacation at a very opportune moment of the cinematic calendar.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 10:29:50 PM by trapeze »

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #532 on: July 31, 2014, 11:15:42 PM »
I'm gonna try to take it in this weekend. For some reason, I'm on a movie watching binge. Bored, I watched Hercules and guess what, it did not suck. I don't want to give it away, but he is more of a mercenary who chooses his life after losing his family. He was in the fighting game for the money. Of course there is betrayal and he finds his way.

If you have nothing better to do, you may enjoy it.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #533 on: August 01, 2014, 01:09:09 AM »
I'm gonna try to take it in this weekend. For some reason, I'm on a movie watching binge. Bored, I watched Hercules and guess what, it did not suck. I don't want to give it away, but he is more of a mercenary who chooses his life after losing his family. He was in the fighting game for the money. Of course there is betrayal and he finds his way.

is it wrong I have more interest in seeing Snow-piercer?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #534 on: August 01, 2014, 01:17:40 AM »

Yes!  Hang yer head.

/jk
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #535 on: August 01, 2014, 08:54:54 AM »
OK, Trap's thread is 27 pages long and I'm not gonna parse every pages so forgive me if I'm repeating something someone else posted.

Last night I watched "Remnants". It was recommended to me by some cute little algorithm that says, "If you liked that, you'll love this!"

I didn't love this.

IMDB gives it a 4.1 rating - one that I find reasonable. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1800367/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

The premise was what pulled me in - "A rare astronomical event causes a permanent worldwide black out, forcing residents of a middle-class suburb to get by with no modern conveniences. The community pulls together and adapts ..."

Only the true story has precious little to do about anyone "pulling together". It is my belief that the producers of this flick put it out in order to say, "F'k you preppers if you think you're gonna have fun in the Apocalypse!"

As a kid one of my favorite films was "Swiss Family Robinson". Y'all remember the tale - a family of travelers is shipwrecked on the proverbial desert isle and works to make a life out of their circumstances. A Disney production from the days when that meant quality, the movie was obstinately upbeat with an indelible "never say die" optimism. It imprinted itself onto my DNA and, years later still drives me forward.

Once I saw the direction Remnants was going I actually started fast-forwarding to the end. The pessimism in this thing is pervasive almost has a Jim Jones quality to it. If you're a glutton for punishment here's a link to a u-toob stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8icNGpE340

Don't say you haven't been forewarned...

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #536 on: August 01, 2014, 12:04:58 PM »
Couple of quick comments:

1. LOVE the thread....it really is nice to have an idea what is WORTH watching and what is trash, BEFORE spending big money...which is what they charge nowadays at the theater.
2. Can't wait to see Guardians of the Galaxy, in part knowing it will be good because of Trap's recommendation.
3. With it having reached 27 pages, is it time for a thread, like perhaps ?"Trap's movie thread II" Or trap's Movie thread, the Sequel?

OK, Trap's thread is 27 pages long and I'm not gonna parse every pages so forgive me if I'm repeating something someone else posted.

Last night I watched "Remnants". It was recommended to me by some cute little algorithm that says, "If you liked that, you'll love this!"

I didn't love this.

IMDB gives it a 4.1 rating - one that I find reasonable. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1800367/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

The premise was what pulled me in - "A rare astronomical event causes a permanent worldwide black out, forcing residents of a middle-class suburb to get by with no modern conveniences. The community pulls together and adapts ..."

Only the true story has precious little to do about anyone "pulling together". It is my belief that the producers of this flick put it out in order to say, "F'k you preppers if you think you're gonna have fun in the Apocalypse!"

As a kid one of my favorite films was "Swiss Family Robinson". Y'all remember the tale - a family of travelers is shipwrecked on the proverbial desert isle and works to make a life out of their circumstances. A Disney production from the days when that meant quality, the movie was obstinately upbeat with an indelible "never say die" optimism. It imprinted itself onto my DNA and, years later still drives me forward.

Once I saw the direction Remnants was going I actually started fast-forwarding to the end. The pessimism in this thing is pervasive almost has a Jim Jones quality to it. If you're a glutton for punishment here's a link to a u-toob stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8icNGpE340

Don't say you haven't been forewarned...
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #537 on: August 01, 2014, 12:28:36 PM »

As I have watched both, the storyline in Hercules is more believable....lol

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #538 on: August 03, 2014, 01:05:11 AM »
Okay, as noted above, I did see "Snowpiercer" and it was a worthwhile endeavor. Not for everyone, of course, because hey, what is? But it was interesting and thought provoking after you invoke the suspension of disbelief which is necessary for most things not documentary in nature.

Now...this evening I did see "Guardians of the Galaxy" and it was pretty much as advertised and promoted.

Refreshingly, it did not waste very much time at all with origins and backgrounds of characters and got on with the actual story rather quickly. Contrast with, say, "Captain America, The First Avenger" which was just about 1/2 and maybe even 2/3's origin related. It was a good picture but you found yourself wishing that the producers/director would just hurry up and get on with the story. Guardians interspersed a modicum of character origin throughout the film (and in the case of Groot, none at all) and was way more than 85% actual story. Very nice trick, that.

There is a lot of comedy...a lot of funny lines and sequences. My favorite one involved the acquisition of a prosthetic leg during the prison break sequence. My daughter liked the Groot facial toward the end of the movie. But there was a lot more and I almost certainly missed a few due to the inevitable audience noise in the theater. There was at least one seriously off-color joke about a black light and Jackson Pollock art that would have made no sense at all to those unfamiliar with both references. And there was a joke that involved identifying the female lead as a "whore." More (unnecessary) bad language like that than I cared for my daughter to hear but that's the way of the world these days so there it is.

Links to other Marvel Cinematic Universe movies: Thanos and The Collector. Both of these characters make fairly substantial contributions to this story compared with the snippets we have seen at the ends of other movies. (And yeah, there are two after movie sequences in this one. Both are comedy only and do not provide hints about future events.)

As promised, lots of action and darned if the CGI just doesn't keep getting better and better to the point of my not even thinking, "Wow, great CGI" or "Wow, that CGI sucked and was really distracting." Instead it really helps with the inevitably necessary suspension of disbelief...you just experience one mind blowing visual after another and they look so believable that you just accept what you are seeing and move on.

I could describe more but that would not really build a case for anyone to see it or not. This is one of those films that you are either attracted to or you aren't and all I can say is that if you are attracted to it you will enjoy it and if you aren't you may find that it is surprisingly entertaining. When it comes out on disc I will probably spend the extra bucks to get a blue ray version because I will want to see it in all of its glory on the high def big screen.

1. LOVE the thread....it really is nice to have an idea what is WORTH watching and what is trash, BEFORE spending big money...which is what they charge nowadays at the theater.

Yes, it is and I appreciate every commentary that I read here.

2. Can't wait to see Guardians of the Galaxy, in part knowing it will be good because of Trap's recommendation.

Well, a bit premature but now I can say that I have seen it and it most certainly does have my endorsement.

3. With it having reached 27 pages, is it time for a thread, like perhaps? "Trap's movie thread II" Or trap's Movie thread, the Sequel?

Umm, sorry but no. This is my legacy to the trivial (because, hey, it's entertainment) and I won't have it any less monumental.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 01:15:46 AM by trapeze »

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #539 on: August 03, 2014, 11:18:03 AM »

3. With it having reached 27 pages, is it time for a thread, like perhaps? "Trap's movie thread II" Or trap's Movie thread, the Sequel?

Umm, sorry but no. This is my legacy to the trivial (because, hey, it's entertainment) and I won't have it any less monumental.

Because sequels rarely live up to the originals ;')