Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 229167 times)

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #580 on: September 03, 2014, 09:19:29 PM »
Tonight is a great tv movie night. I'm finishing up the chronicles of riddick and before it was the flick " battleship", which has become a movie I enjoy watching whenever it's on tv. I believe I enjoy it so because our armed forces are shown in such a positive manner, getting the job done. Probably why I also enjoy all the transformer movies......our military kicks ass in each one.

Now, time to watch riddick stem the killer beasts.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #581 on: September 04, 2014, 06:37:05 AM »
"Who's the better killer?"

Good butt-kickin' fun...although the whole Necro thing is weird...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #582 on: September 04, 2014, 07:45:14 AM »
I like the arc of the Riddick storyline. Having begun introducing him in "Pitch Black" and then creating a whole different kind of sci-fi film in "Chronicles of Riddick", they opened the door nicely for this 3rd film "Riddick" which is more like the first with elements of the second. If they wanted to expand the franchise, they could go right back to his altercation with the Necro-Mongers, and bring Karl Urban back as his nemesis.

For a somewhat under the radar sci-fi franchise, they've done a nice job expanding the scope of the character.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #583 on: September 05, 2014, 06:44:16 AM »
Tonight is a great tv movie night. I'm finishing up the chronicles of riddick and before it was the flick " battleship", which has become a movie I enjoy watching whenever it's on tv. I believe I enjoy it so because our armed forces are shown in such a positive manner, getting the job done. Probably why I also enjoy all the transformer movies......our military kicks ass in each one.

Oh hey, and the best part of 'Battleship' for me is when the old salty dogs are called upon to fire up Big Mo!   ::thumbsup::

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #584 on: September 05, 2014, 05:35:40 PM »

Oh hey, and the best part of 'Battleship' for me is when the old salty dogs are called upon to fire up Big Mo!   ::thumbsup::

I mean...was that cool or what! I love that scene. The freakin greatest generation. And watching the scene...you KNEW what was gonna happen. You knew it and when it did it was just cool.

Too many flicks that portrait our military ( cough, cough Avatar) in a bad light.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #585 on: September 05, 2014, 07:34:43 PM »

I mean...was that cool or what! I love that scene. The freakin greatest generation. And watching the scene...you KNEW what was gonna happen. You knew it and when it did it was just cool.

Too many flicks that portrait our military ( cough, cough Avatar) in a bad light.

I usually don't add to a chain that's already this long but I gotta pile on.....I loved that part!

I actually cringed as they went down the road because I'm so used to having everything decent in this world trashed and disrespected by Hollyweird. The movie itself completely strained credulity but it ended up in the plus column for me because of that plot twist.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #586 on: September 05, 2014, 11:30:09 PM »
I watched "Battleship" last week (it was my teenage daughter's choice for the evening) and it was everything that I expected it to be.

I was pretty sure that I would be watching "Top Gun" with a whacky sci-fi twist. That turned out to be mainly correct. One difference was that at the start of the movie the protagonist is a civilian f**kup instead of a naval aviator f**kup. Somehow, beyond any reasonable expectation of a passing acquaintance with reality, the male lead joins the Navy and becomes a lieutenant commander in charge of the weapons systems aboard a destroyer.

As in "Top Gun," the behavior exhibited by the lead actor would never be tolerated for five minutes in the US military and would likely land him in either the brig or a psych ward. There is flat out no way that a person like this would ever be put in charge of anything of any consequence.

While I am thinking about it...what kind of super advanced race of aliens would travel half way across the galaxy for a war of conquest and have zero redundancy in something as crucial as communication to the home world? And how long did it take the signal from Earth to reach the alien world? The speed of light is a pretty significant barrier to communication when it comes to interstellar distances. But that's just nitpicking.

Additionally, the connection to the game of "Battleship" is tenuous at best and is (finally) demonstrated when the humans give up on trying to track/target the enemy with radar and switch to a grid system of tsunami wave monitors...which is absolutely ridiculous. Every bit as ridiculous as the flying battle scenes in "Top Gun."

And I am pretty sure it is impossible to start up and operate a stone cold, decommissioned WWII battleship in twenty minutes with a crew of twelve.

BUT...as mentioned above and just like in "Top Gun," there is a very positive attitude shown toward the military that is absent in other films which makes all of the utterly illogical and unrealistic nonsense dialogue and plot devices totally worth overlooking. And yes, it was clever using the retired WWII vets to man the USS Missouri. So...on balance it was an entertaining film and I didn't hate it which is always a plus. I will say, though, that I liked another film featuring the USS Missouri better than this one. That would be the Steven Segal/Tommy Lee Jones/Gary Busey "Die Hard" on a battleship movie, "Under Siege." It had lots of ridiculous stuff, too, but in spite of the big name actors the real star of that movie was the ship itself which I thought was a pretty cool thing when you look at it that way.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #587 on: September 07, 2014, 02:23:59 AM »
Finally got around to seeing "God's Not Dead" this evening. I knew that I was going to see it because I usually make a point of seeing most of (or nearly most of) the Christian produced/themed movies...among them: "Left Behind" and "Fireproof" and "Facing The Giants" and "Courageous." Plus at least a few more that don't come to mind at the moment. The one thing that seems to be common to all of these films is that they tend to be, and I will be charitable here, unpolished. The acting tends to be second or third rate, the scripts are not particularly clever, the production values are weak and the direction is usually uninspired. Which is not to say that Christian themed movies have been awful, they just haven't been great. Which is too bad because the messages that these films attempt to deliver are, of course, good.

Producing a Christian themed movie is, obviously, not easy. Producing any movie at all isn't easy. It merely looks easy to the neophyte or layman. One of the universal truths in life is that a professional, a master craftsman or performer, is able to make what he does look easy when the fact is that it isn't. An example: We all drive cars (or most of us do) and because of  that it's a pretty short leap to the mistaken conclusion that being a race car driver is not all that difficult. Which is utter nonsense. I won't go into the reasons why it's nonsense but it is. Perhaps the notion that making a good movie is not a big deal comes from the rather recent innovation of cheap but high quality camera phones...anyone can be a film maker with an iPhone,  I suppose.

I say all this because it has been my hope for longer than I can remember that someday someone will make a high quality Christian themed movie...one that will have universal appeal and therefore attract an audience outside of its most obvious target demographic. "God's Not Dead" is not that movie but it's the closest one yet to achieving that goal.

The movie starts out with an absolutely great hook: A Christian student is faced with the easy path of denying his faith or the very difficult choice of defending it, his academic and possibly his professional future on the line in the process. The student refuses to deny his faith at the demand of his atheist professor and is then required to defend that decision. This idea would have made a great movie all by itself but unfortunately, at least as I see it, the producers make the mistake of spreading the screen time around in the form of interconnecting and intersecting characters and plot lines. We've seen this technique done before and it can be done very well. Films like "Love Actually" or "Crash" come to mind. And this brings me back to what I mentioned near the beginning of this post, that a truly gifted artist or craftsman can make things look easier than they really are. I wish that the makers of "God's Not Dead" could have stuck to just the one main plot line. If they had they could have developed the characters more and given the audience a little more cinematic meat to chew on I believe this could have been a very good film. Don't get me wrong, as I said earlier, this is the best of the Christian themed movies to date. I liked it. I just didn't like it a lot. I wanted to like it a lot and I wanted to say that it was a great movie. But I can't say that.

Now, all that said, it is worth seeing and you will probably enjoy it. I did.

Some plot and character detail comments:

If you have seen any promo stuff at all about this movie you will already know that Kevin Sorbo is the heavy as the atheist philosophy professor who demands that his freshman students dispense with belief in God on day one of his class. Sorbo is pretty good in this role, the script works for his character almost all the way through...he is totally believable playing the part of the intellectual snob college academic who could not possibly care less about anyone whom he considers to be mentally beneath him. He, like the global warmists, has a completely closed mind to anything that challenges his world view. (Incidentally, Sorbo is a Christian...I did not know this) His character should have gotten a lot more screen time.

And of course, his opponent should have also gotten more time...this was supposed to be the meat of the movie. The Christian student who would not deny God is played by Shane Harper. Harper, who I had not heard of before, is (surprisingly) not a total unknown. He actually has a fairly extensive entertainment resume for a young person and handles his role quite competently. He, like Sorbo, is also a Christian. I cannot underemphasize my disappointment that Sorbo and Harper were not allowed to dominate this movie.

There were about a half a dozen or so peripheral characters with plot lines with varying degrees of success in the way that they intersected with each other and the main characters. Only one of them is recognizable, Dean Cain, and his character is woefully thin. Cain plays a douchebag attorney who cares for nothing and no one other than himself. But Cain's talent is completely wasted here. We learn very little about why he is a douche and his character does not change during the story. Kind of pointless.

Another character played by a total unknown female is Cain's girlfriend and she is likewise a complete douche. She is cast as an ultra left wing blogger/citizen journalist who thinks that it's clever to "ambush" her interview victims. She interviews Willie Robertson (who along with his wife do a quickie cameo as themselves) and would be completely unbelievable in the role were it not for far too many real life examples of her behavior which can be found on MSNBC at any given moment.

Another unknown actress is cast as the daughter of a sharia law fanatic. It is revealed about a third of the way in that she has converted to Christianity and I was seriously impressed that the film makers had the guts to show a very mild representation of what an islamofascist does to any woman who strays from sharia (he merely smacks her two or three times in the head and then tosses her out the front door...no stoning, burning or battery acid to the face). The movie would have been better without her character or plot line but since it was included at least they didn't overly sugar coat it.

There is also a Christian pastor played by mostly unknown (he has produced and acted in a small number of Christian themed movies), David A. R. White. White, unsurprisingly, produced this film.

Anyway..."God's Not Dead" is, in my opinion, the best Christian themed movie to date and is both watchable and interesting. Christians will enjoy it for obvious reasons and if non-Christians happen to view it they may find themselves challenged by the brief but stimulating presentation in defense of God's existence put on by Shane Harper's character.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #588 on: September 11, 2014, 12:12:06 AM »
Just a small point of movie trivia: Did you realize that "Guardians of the Galaxy," which opened on August 1st is still the number one movie as of this week with $10.4 million in tickets for a cumulative of $275.4 million? It still has a very, very long way to go to catch "Marvel's The Avengers" of course, but in a summer of no "blockbusters" it is doing surprisingly well and if you haven't seen it, well...you should...it really is pretty damned good. I've seen it twice. Once with my daughter and once with (and this is really hard to believe because she hates movies like this) mrs. trapeze. And yeah, she enjoyed it and laughed at all of the funny parts.

A personal trivia point: When the original "Star Wars" movie came out I saw it 16 times at the theater. This was remarkable for not only the number of times that I saw it but where I saw it. I will never understand why but where I lived it was only available in one theater for an entire year. And for that year just about every show was sold out. It was a cultural media phenomenon. Sadly, you can no longer see the film as it was when it was on the big screen. George Lucas has totally bastardized the film and has changed it several times. He believes that he is "improving" it but he is apparently an idiot these days. I suppose that it is possible for a blind squirrel to occasionally find a nut and Lucas proved that he was able to get it right exactly one time in his life. But...that one time was enough to make him a zillionaire. But he is still a douche for not making the original film available.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 12:18:46 AM by trapeze »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #589 on: September 11, 2014, 06:46:30 AM »
Haven't seen Guardians yet.  I'll get to it, someday...  Probably when it hits PPV.

Saw the first of the new Spiderman flicks the other night, it is hitting the non-premium cable channels.  Not terribly impressed.

Rented the second Captain America last night, that was at least entertaining enough to justify the $5 I spent, plenty of action and Scarlett isn't too hard on the eyes.  Looks like they have another one coming along soon.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #590 on: September 11, 2014, 08:54:48 AM »
A personal trivia point: When the original "Star Wars" movie came out I saw it 16 times at the theater. This was remarkable for not only the number of times that I saw it but where I saw it. I will never understand why but where I lived it was only available in one theater for an entire year. And for that year just about every show was sold out.

Cooper?
I miss that theater. And being forced to see Star Wars there with a completely full house  was one of the best movie going experiences of my life. No Movie screen has seemed larger or so immersive   to me since.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #591 on: October 26, 2014, 09:33:08 PM »
I saw a couple of movies on pay-per-view this weekend..."X-Men: Days of Future Passed" and "Edge of Tomorrow."

Both of them involve time travel and both of them do a passable job of it which is saying a lot because time travel that isn't ridiculous is not easy.

Of the two movies, if I had to choose, I would recommend "Edge of Tomorrow" (now being called "Live, Die, Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow") over the X-Men picture. They are both well-acted and technically beautiful but the story in "Edge of Tomorrow" is better. The X-Men movie is weak in that regard because it is largely a rehash of a previous movie(s), the "humans are trying to exterminate mutants" theme redux with time travel.

Me? I would like to see the X-Men battle an enemy that isn't mutant-hating mankind for once. Why can't it be the X-Men versus Godzilla or something? So, in that, it's disappointing. Other than that point, though, it's a good movie* and I would recommend it.

"Edge of Tomorrow" is great. Tom Cruise stars in it and he is very good (acting). In fact, as he is want to do, Cruise does all of his own stunts and he must really take a beating. The special effects are very well done and come out great in 1080p hi-def. I especially like the costuming which consists primarily of not-too-far-in-the-future infantry exoskeletons which are packed with serious video game-style weapons and ammo. But the deal-maker is the story. It's great. Compelling, even. Cruise plays Major Cage, a cowardly PR man who avoids fighting in the war by "selling" it to would be recruits. He gets crossways with a four star general and ends up being shanghaied into an infantry company on the day before the big invasion of Europe. Seems that Europe is over-run with lightning fast tentacled aliens with the ability to re-live a day over and over until they know what will happen and, therefore, can't be beaten. Cage gets covered in alien blood during the invasion and then is killed. Except he isn't. The baptism in blood gives him the aliens' ability to keep repeating the day over every time he is killed. Thus, the movie is a combination of "Aliens" (the gungho space marines) and "Groundhog Day." Cage re-lives the same day, the day just before the invasion through until the invasion day morning, thousands of times and dying every time. How he escapes this situation is the real story of the movie.

The only weak point of "Edge of Tomorrow" is the very final scene (what happens to Cage) and I could tell you what it is and why I think it's weak but that just isn't necessary. It doesn't ruin the story or anything. It's just weaker than the rest of the movie. And the rest of the movie is pretty good so I can recommend it without reservation.

*A complaint, though: The X-Men movie is rated PG13 but it is pretty well packed with profanity up to and including "f**k" plus, as an extra unnecessary bonus: Hugh Jackman's butt naked butt. Since I watched this movie with my 15-year-old daughter, that was a bit disappointing. The Tom Cruise movie by comparison had a remarkable lack of profanity. There was some but considering the life-and-death nature of the battle scenes it was largely absent from the film.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:00:32 PM by trapeze »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #592 on: October 27, 2014, 06:44:55 AM »
I'd have to be given the Hydra mind-control treatment for just about any Cruise flick, I just can't stand that short little cultist dweeb...

IMHO diminutive little metro's like this are a dime a dozen...and cannot compare with the male (or female!) contempories of yesteryear...

It's my opinion and it is what it is.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #593 on: October 27, 2014, 08:48:34 PM »
I'd have to be given the Hydra mind-control treatment for just about any Cruise flick, I just can't stand that short little cultist dweeb...

IMHO diminutive little metro's like this are a dime a dozen...and cannot compare with the male (or female!) contempories of yesteryear...

It's my opinion and it is what it is.

I'm no Cruise fan but he is actually quite good in this. He starts out as a spineless media weasel and he all but wets himself when he hits the battlefield. But...then he wakes up like Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day" and does the whole "I don't get what's happening to me" thing just perfectly. By the third or fourth iteration he is desperately trying to get anyone to listen to him ("The invasion is a trap! They know we are coming!") and ends up with duct tape over his mouth in the troop transport. Like Murray in "Groundhog Day" he tries everything including skipping the invasion battle altogether and instead goes to a London pub to drown his sorrows. And then resigns himself to doing whatever it takes to defeat the enemy so that he can escape his doom.

It really is a first rate sci-fi movie. Again, highly recommended.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #594 on: October 27, 2014, 09:46:25 PM »
Sometimes actors achieving extreme fame become their own worst enemy. Tom Cruise as a tabloid persona overshadows his acting. But his acting doesn't suck all the time. He can be good.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #595 on: October 27, 2014, 11:41:05 PM »
Sometimes actors achieving extreme fame become their own worst enemy. Tom Cruise as a tabloid persona overshadows his acting. But his acting doesn't suck all the time. He can be good.

The vampire Lestat was one, imo.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #596 on: October 28, 2014, 01:19:01 PM »
Cruise was good in Edge of Tomorrow. The storyline is strong and the special effects are believable, especially in lite that eco type skeletons for strength are being experimented with today.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #597 on: November 11, 2014, 10:33:07 PM »
From the "even a blind squirrel will eventually find a chestnut" file...mrs. trapeze picks a not awful movie.

mrs. trapeze insists on picking movies from time to time (and almost always with no input from me at all) and usually this turns out to be rather unpleasant. It's sort of a running joke in our household as regards how bad she is at picking movies. She isn't good at it and she knows it. But every once in a while she does pull off the odd good pick. This last weekend she picked a movie I had never heard of (bad sign number one) that had made its debut at the Sundance Film Festival (bad sign number two). But it wasn't awful. It was well made and had an interesting premise. The film was "The One I Love" and it is a so-called "dramedy." I didn't think there was much comedy to it at all but that was okay. It was more like an episode of "The Twilight Zone" than anything else.

Plot basics: A couple see a marriage therapist who recommends that they visit a house in the country for a weekend alone to try and get to know each other better/again. When they get there they discover (separately) that there are exact duplicates of themselves residing in a detached guest house. Well, not exact duplicates. The duplicates are sort of better than the originals...nicer or more interesting or sexier or whatever...a more idealized version of themselves. The story gets more strange from that point until the very end. And the ending is not explained which leaves the viewer trying to determine just exactly what happened at the end. And that's not a bad thing. It gives you something to think and talk about when it's over.

So...wtg mrs. trapeze...a pretty good movie pick.

(and if you see Ted Danson in the trailer, don't worry...he has about two minutes of screen time, tops)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #598 on: November 12, 2014, 06:19:31 AM »
Two minutes of Ted Danson?!   ::speechless::

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #599 on: November 12, 2014, 11:53:12 PM »
No, seriously...it's a nothing part and the rest of the film is only the other two actors. Very minimalist that way. Anyway, it's thought provoking and the plot is pulled off in a very clever way.