Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 229452 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #600 on: November 28, 2014, 12:01:54 AM »
Crunchyroll. Awesome. Though I call it crunchy frog because it annoys my kids.
Watching Attack on Titan and Sword Art Online.

Pretty cool folks.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #601 on: November 28, 2014, 09:17:19 AM »
Having really enjoyed the first two installments of the "Hunger Games" franchise, we went to see the third - "Mockingjay" a few nights ago. I wasn't super impressed. I'm still invested in the characters and story enough to see the fourth and final film when it comes out (assuming there is still an economy able to support frivolity like films), but this movie was more like 2 hours of connective tissue between #2 and #4. As a stand-alone movie, it offered little to nothing.

For the first time, Jennifer Lawrence didn't seem as if she was fully on board with the character. She's a fine actress, but this time her lines felt forced, as if she was looking at the the director off camera pleading with her: "More angst! More angst!"

If you liked the first two and plan to see the fourth, see it. It didn't completely suck hind-tit. But if you haven't seen any of them, and you're thinking about rushing out to buy #1 and #2 so you can get up to speed and then see "Mockingjay", wait for reviews of #4 to see if it's even worth it. If it's no better than #3, don't bother.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #602 on: November 28, 2014, 12:27:53 PM »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #603 on: November 28, 2014, 01:36:07 PM »
Having really enjoyed the first two installments of the "Hunger Games" franchise, we went to see the third - "Mockingjay" a few nights ago. I wasn't super impressed. I'm still invested in the characters and story enough to see the fourth and final film when it comes out (assuming there is still an economy able to support frivolity like films), but this movie was more like 2 hours of connective tissue between #2 and #4. As a stand-alone movie, it offered little to nothing.

For the first time, Jennifer Lawrence didn't seem as if she was fully on board with the character. She's a fine actress, but this time her lines felt forced, as if she was looking at the the director off camera pleading with her: "More angst! More angst!"

If you liked the first two and plan to see the fourth, see it. It didn't completely suck hind-tit. But if you haven't seen any of them, and you're thinking about rushing out to buy #1 and #2 so you can get up to speed and then see "Mockingjay", wait for reviews of #4 to see if it's even worth it. If it's no better than #3, don't bother.

Yep...# 3 was lacking. Lawrence looked a little lost in character. Maybe she was distracted over the nekked pics online. Not to ruin anything, but #4 is set up to take the munitions mountain, which should equate to much more action. I actually drifted off to sleep at one point early in the flick.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #604 on: November 28, 2014, 06:18:04 PM »
If I would have seen the nekkid pictures, I would have been distracted too

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #605 on: November 29, 2014, 10:30:47 PM »
Crunchyroll. Awesome. Though I call it crunchy frog because it annoys my kids.
Watching Attack on Titan and Sword Art Online.

Pretty cool folks.

Oh crap. Sword Art Online turned into the Bugaloos at episode 14. How disappointing.. .

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #606 on: December 02, 2014, 09:42:40 PM »

The first movie was a decent action genre film. The second movie was much the same. The third movie was mind-numbingly boring. (I was dragged to all three by my daughter)

The third film has almost no action whatsoever. And, what little action there was did not involve the lead character. The "Katniss" character shoots a grand total of one (1) arrow in the entire film. One. Arrow. And she wasn't directly in danger when she shot it. Ridiculously, she uses this one arrow (which presumably had an explosive head) to bring down an attacking plane. I could be wrong but it looked like she brought the plane down (with accompanying massive explosive force) in the middle of the good-guys' hospital. The rest of the movie she stands around looking distraught. There is only so much of Jennifer Lawrence's hurt/sad/depressed facial expressions that I can stomach in two hours.

So...it sucked.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #607 on: December 02, 2014, 09:56:27 PM »
Now...in the "movies that don't/didn't suck" category I will nominate "The November Man" starring Pierce Brosnan. This is a classic spy thriller movie in the spirit of "Three Days of the Condor" except with lots more action/violence/explosions/ and a higher body count. This is Pierce Brosnan's best movie in, well...ever. If he had picked something like this instead of the stupid James Bond movies he was so hot to be in his career could have been something to be proud of.

Although this is not the greatest spy/action movie I have ever seen it is better than average and I would recommend seeing it.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #608 on: December 03, 2014, 06:51:11 AM »
Now...in the "movies that don't/didn't suck" category I will nominate "The November Man" starring Pierce Brosnan. This is a classic spy thriller movie in the spirit of "Three Days of the Condor" except with lots more action/violence/explosions/ and a higher body count. This is Pierce Brosnan's best movie in, well...ever. If he had picked something like this instead of the stupid James Bond movies he was so hot to be in his career could have been something to be proud of.

Although this is not the greatest spy/action movie I have ever seen it is better than average and I would recommend seeing it.

I caught this a couple nights ago, it was decent, not great, better than OK.  It has a little more believable storyline to it, nice take on the Chechnya conquest and lethal spy biz.  That Olga chick is sure showing up in a ton of flicks the past few years.  And yeah, better than that bond crapola he did.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #609 on: December 05, 2014, 09:34:31 AM »
Anybody see Tom Cruise in Oblivion? Pretty decent sci if flick. Visually awesome. Decent outings for Cruise and Morgan Freeman. Female leads did well too.

The plot is a little ambiguous and hard to follow at first. The reveals don't really come until you're far enough in that if you weren't paying close attention you might be lost.

But all in all I enjoyed it.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #610 on: December 05, 2014, 09:39:23 PM »
Anybody see Tom Cruise in Oblivion? Pretty decent sci if flick. Visually awesome. Decent outings for Cruise and Morgan Freeman. Female leads did well too.

The plot is a little ambiguous and hard to follow at first. The reveals don't really come until you're far enough in that if you weren't paying close attention you might be lost.

Yes. It was OK.

I had to watch it three times before the plot made sense to me.

Maybe it was me   :o

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #611 on: December 06, 2014, 07:55:46 PM »

Yes. It was OK.

No it wasn't
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #612 on: December 07, 2014, 10:53:16 AM »

Yes. It was OK.

No it wasn't

Thanks JF - sometimes I gotta wonder ;')

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #613 on: December 07, 2014, 11:55:26 AM »
I'd have to get oiled up to spend one dime watching that demented little cultist...

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #614 on: December 14, 2014, 09:56:58 PM »
My neighbor loaned me the "Desolation of Smaug" and conned me into going to see the battle of the five armies when it comes out. I avoided it deliberately last year.
I was disappointed with the first installment of "the hobbit"
After seeing the desolation of Smaug, I have decided Peter Jackson must die.

OMG. LOTR was apparently a fluke, a complete miracle. 
I really, really hate anyone who loaned their name to this project.
If you want to mess around telling the story of attacking the necromancer, I <MIGHT> have given you a pass, but the liberties that took here just piss me off
Damn Hollywood. Damn them to hell.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #615 on: December 14, 2014, 10:19:14 PM »
We recently watched Guardians of the Galaxy.   ::saywhat::

Lame and campy.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #616 on: December 15, 2014, 03:06:28 AM »
Damn Hollywood. Damn them to hell.

Too late. Hackers already did it this week. It's horrible and it's going to get worse. It's like the Edward Snowden version of Hollywood. The smug little studio sh*ts thought they could say anything about anyone and no one would ever find out about it. And now it's all coming out. Plus the hackers shut down Sony's studio financial system. Plus they stole scripts...big ones like the new Bond script.

But as to Petey Jackson's tampering with some of the most sacred source material ever? Well, it's hardly new. Crap, look at what they did with the Noah story. Look at what they did with C.S. Lewis' Narnia stories...that one was so execrably bad that they killed the franchise after 3 of 7 books. Can you imagine if they had killed off the Harry Potter franchise after 3 book's worth of movies?

My teenage daughter dragged me to the second hobbit film and I vowed to never see another. What utter dreck. I think they are scheduled to make, what? Four installments? This from a single book. Jackson made three extremely long (and good) movies from three extremely long LOTR novels, made tons of money along the way and everyone was happy. But apparently they believe that the LOTR audience is too stupid to not pay for three or four or whatever movies worth of hobbit crappola. The Hobbit was a good book. Not a great book like any one of the LOTR novels. It was a good book who's primary audience was children (go back and look at the writing style if you are in doubt). Making The Hobbit into some kind of epic multi-film elf/man/dwarf bloodfest is obscene.

But then, people are paying to see it so I guess they are right...most people are chumps.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #617 on: December 15, 2014, 03:10:49 AM »

Lame and campy.

Not the movie I saw. I thought it was great. Soundtrack music was cleverly worked into the plot and the music was great. But, that's me. I find what I consider to be good movies in both obvious and hidden places.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #618 on: December 15, 2014, 03:23:44 AM »
Usually I find direct to pay-per-view movies to suck. There is a reason that they don't do well in theaters or that they never made it into theaters. But this evening I watched one that didn't stink. It wasn't the best movie I have seen in a while...it was reasonably acted, directed and written. The critics panned it but I think that they were expecting something other than what the film delivered.

The film was, "And So It Goes" directed by Rob Reiner (who is an asshole but an above average director) and stars Michael Douglass and Diane Keaton. Douglass plays a bigoted asshole real estate broker who cannot get along with others in his species. Keaton plays a frequently over emotional lounge singer. It is very similar to "Something's Gotta Give" (which also starred Keaton as the love interest of the bigoted asshole). Keaton as usual plays her character like she plays just about every other character she has ever played...an amazingly one dimensional actress. But it's an okay little movie and worth seeing. Maybe not paying for but I wouldn't turn it off if it came on a free channel.

(Posting mostly about pop culture these days because the politics are too depressing to go into...and this after we beat the stuffing out of the Democrats. Crap, we may as well have let them keep the Senate and hand over the House for all the good it's done us with Boehner running the show. I keep hoping that Boehner will get hit by a bus or fall down an elevator shaft but so far he has escaped those dooms.)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 03:28:14 AM by trapeze »

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #619 on: December 15, 2014, 04:31:06 AM »

Lame and campy.

Not sure about "lame".
I was entertained .
It has a talking raccoon who shoots things-  it was supposed to be campy
But no I can't imagine that it will stand the test of time..but even Michelle sat down to watch it a second time ( she took the kids the first..)