Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 232563 times)

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #620 on: December 15, 2014, 04:40:29 AM »

But as to Petey Jackson's tampering with some of the most sacred source material ever? Well, it's hardly new. Crap, look at what they did with the Noah story. Look at what they did with C.S. Lewis' Narnia stories...that one was so execrably bad that they killed the franchise after 3 of 7 books. Can you imagine if they had killed off the Harry Potter franchise after 3 book's worth of movies?

My teenage daughter dragged me to the second hobbit film and I vowed to never see another. What utter dreck. I think they are scheduled to make, what? Four installments? This from a single book. Jackson made three extremely long (and good) movies from three extremely long LOTR novels, made tons of money along the way and everyone was happy. But apparently they believe that the LOTR audience is too stupid to not pay for three or four or whatever movies worth of hobbit crappola. The Hobbit was a good book. Not a great book like any one of the LOTR novels. It was a good book who's primary audience was children (go back and look at the writing style if you are in doubt). Making The Hobbit into some kind of epic multi-film elf/man/dwarf bloodfest is obscene.

But then, people are paying to see it so I guess they are right...most people are chumps.

Yes. Luckily I didn't give him a dime to watch the second one. Unfortunately I told the neighbor I would go see the third with him.. Michelle pointed out most of the people watching these things probably have never read the book.. probably haven't picked up a book since High School.
One just has to wonder why they feel compelled to do this ( other than maybe we can make 4 movies out of it and sell tickets 4 times.)
Once upon a time I think Hollywood cared a little more about the art. LOTR will be watched for the next 100 years.  The Hobbit is going to be ignored and fall into the same category as the old cartoon version of LOTR..

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #621 on: December 15, 2014, 05:12:33 AM »
We recently watched Guardians of the Galaxy.   ::saywhat::

Lame and campy.

Not the movie I saw. I thought it was great. Soundtrack music was cleverly worked into the plot and the music was great. But, that's me. I find what I consider to be good movies in both obvious and hidden places.

We liked it - as much or more than any of the Marvel films - saw it in the theatre and just grabbed the DVD, out last week, as an family Christmas stocking stuffer - and I made a DJ mix of the soundtrack, tossing in a few extras by Cream, The Velvet Underground & Blondie.

2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #622 on: December 15, 2014, 06:49:37 AM »
I saw it this past weekend on PPV, I thought it was good, not great and not horrible, it is what it is.  The music was an interesting contrast to the visual experience, I think I liked Cherry Bomb as they readied for war the best.  As with movies of this type the small notes in the banter are the gems...Star Lord calling Rocket "Ranger Rick", stuff like that.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #623 on: December 15, 2014, 01:27:37 PM »
Hey...Guardians of the Galaxy was cool....lol I find myself watching for the special effects. Amazing what can be done today.  It was a bit campy but I went  expecting it.....If you watched the previews, especially a few of the actors who have played in Will Ferrells stuff....you had to expect campy.

The music was great. Plus, with all that tech...saved by a talking tree. lolol
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #624 on: December 15, 2014, 04:09:24 PM »
The more I learn about GotG, the more I think I'm not gonna like it. I'm not too big on camp.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #625 on: December 15, 2014, 05:00:39 PM »
It will never be called a classic but I thought it was fun entertainment

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #626 on: December 15, 2014, 09:36:34 PM »
Here's one for ya....

Has anyone seen Iron Sky?

IMDB gives it a 6.0 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034314/?ref_=nv_sr_1) - I'd consider 2.5 to be generous.

The premise: The Nazis set up a secret base on the dark side of the moon in 1945 where they hide out and plan to return to power in 2018.

OK, I know, a movie about space Nazis has nowhere to go but up, right? Wrong. It starts there and turns straight down. Don't get me wrong - I love "quirky" and "unconventional" and even some "cult" but this is just rank amateur.

It seems that "The President" - a Sarah Palin lookalike - is in desperate need of a hook to ensure her reelection. So she sends men to the moon for the first time in 30 years. Including a token black (you know - as "outreach" to "The Community"). Upon arriving on the moon they discover a lost colony of Moon Nazis living in a swastika-shaped structure, busily preparing a reunion tour where the Fourth Reich will assume the world throne.

If you're like me you're picking your jaw up off the floor and thinking, "Well they've hit rock-bottom now". Au contraire Mon Frere! We still have the love interest between the black astronaut and a Teutonic Teacher (played by Julia Dietze who, as the only redeeming facet of the flick, got better looking as the movie stumbled along), and an invasion of America by space dirigibles. Did I mention space Nazis?!

The truth is that this is a Z-grade leftist propaganda film where the loons presuppose to think how conservatives act. If you do watch it (you were warned!) you'll immediately see leftist behavior and bias in the imaginary right wingers.

What a waste.  There were so many things that they could have done with this movie but they settled for cheap shots at conservatives.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #627 on: December 16, 2014, 06:37:46 AM »
Sounds truly horrific.  I wish MST3K was still around, I bet they would have a riot with that!

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #628 on: December 16, 2014, 08:34:57 AM »
Sounds truly horrific.  I wish MST3K was still around, I bet they would have a riot with that!

MSt3K isn't around any more, but Mike and the Bots still do their thing at rifftrax
However I don't think they have done Iron Sky (but a number of people have requested it..)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #629 on: December 16, 2014, 08:50:40 AM »

MSt3K isn't around any more, but Mike and the Bots still do their thing at rifftrax
However I don't think they have done Iron Sky (but a number of people have requested it..)

Heh, cool, I might have to check this site out.  Thanks. 

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #630 on: December 16, 2014, 11:13:23 AM »

Heh, cool, I might have to check this site out.  Thanks.

Marked it on my favorites. ::whoohoo::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #631 on: January 15, 2015, 08:23:42 AM »

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #632 on: January 15, 2015, 09:13:47 AM »
Yeah, Jupiter Ascending was the one preview I saw at the Hobbit that I thought I might enjoy seeing.  Of course, at this point that means waiting till netflix or amazon has it :)
You have no idea how getting a projector changes your movie viewing habits.

I just purchased Atlas Shrugged III ( since JF pointed out that I could) and The Gamers: The Hands of Fate since I just watched it for the fourth time via You Tube and the deserve some money for it.
The original short they made was okay. Dorkness rising was hysterical. Hands of Fate proved they could tell a story.

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #633 on: January 15, 2015, 09:00:24 PM »
Thoroughly enjoying Denzel in The Equalizer (on DVD) tonight. . .

The Equalizer Movie - Extended International Clip
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #634 on: January 16, 2015, 06:29:04 AM »
Let us know how that is Pablo, I've been thinking of catching it, haven't got around to it.

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #635 on: January 16, 2015, 10:18:30 PM »
Let us know how that is Pablo, I've been thinking of catching it, haven't got around to it.

A...good...fix.  ::popcorn::  ::thumbsup::

(vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord...but until then...consider my man Denzel)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #636 on: January 17, 2015, 08:32:32 AM »

Now you've piqued my interest.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #637 on: January 19, 2015, 05:55:33 PM »
Finally, just went to see the movie "Unbroken".  After reading both books-i.e. "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand and "Devil at my Heels" by Louis Zamperini; the movie was good, but left out as much as it covered.  Don't think I'll buy the video when it comes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrjJbl7kRrI&feature=player_detailpage
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 05:59:57 PM by rustybayonet »
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #638 on: January 19, 2015, 07:20:18 PM »
So....Guess no one has watched American Sniper....
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #639 on: January 20, 2015, 06:34:35 AM »

Now you've piqued my interest.

I caught it on PPV, it was good.  Sometimes you spend your $5 and feel like even for just $5 I just got hosed, this thankfully wasn't one of those times. 

*Spoiler alert - I like that the bad guys are Rooskie thugs and corrupt cops...pretty realistic, eh?