Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 229394 times)

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #640 on: January 20, 2015, 06:36:33 AM »
Finally, just went to see the movie "Unbroken".  After reading both books-i.e. "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand and "Devil at my Heels" by Louis Zamperini; the movie was good, but left out as much as it covered.  Don't think I'll buy the video when it comes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrjJbl7kRrI&feature=player_detailpage

I hate it when that happens, and you can usually tell if you read the book before the movie even is announced as a concept they are going to leave out tons, and it doesn't have to be that way, there are ways to tell the story without making it too much or too little, and they don't often get it just right.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #641 on: January 20, 2015, 06:38:39 AM »
So....Guess no one has watched American Sniper....

I have a good excuse...I've been busy with closing my BIL's books and more recently ice fishing!   ::beertoast::

I have to get out sometime this week though and see it.   ::thumbsup::

Did you catch it yet?

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #642 on: January 21, 2015, 08:15:13 AM »
Ya don't say. Now why would that be, George?  ::whatgives:: ::thinking:: ::hysterical::

George Lucas: Disney ditched all my ideas for the new Star Wars.

Bad he sucks. How much, he knows not.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:18:48 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #643 on: January 21, 2015, 08:22:00 AM »
Well, ditching the entire extended universe built up over 30 years leaves me with zero interest in this movie, or anything Star Wars related ever again.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #644 on: January 21, 2015, 08:44:14 AM »
"Bad he sucks. How much, he knows not."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #645 on: January 21, 2015, 09:03:39 AM »
^^

::thumbsup::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #646 on: January 21, 2015, 11:17:40 AM »
Well, ditching the entire extended universe built up over 30 years leaves me with zero interest in this movie, or anything Star Wars related ever again.

Ya gotta read the article Hawk. They didn't ditch the universe.

When Lucas sold Disney the rights to make the films, he presented them with outlines created specifically for the new films. They bought the rights and the ideas, but ditched all the ideas and just kept the rights!

::hysterical::

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #647 on: January 21, 2015, 04:12:24 PM »

I have a good excuse...I've been busy with closing my BIL's books and more recently ice fishing!   ::beertoast::

Did you catch it yet?

Not yet. Wife wants to see it and she is out of town.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #648 on: January 22, 2015, 06:42:45 AM »

Did you catch it yet?

Not yet. Wife wants to see it and she is out of town.

I'm going to try to catch it this weekend.  I have to do W2/W3 & 1099's   ::puke::   and I will want a decent reward after that!

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #649 on: January 22, 2015, 07:48:32 AM »
Academy, tired of negroes?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/django-unchained-producer-selma-oscar-764888

::hysterical::

Whatever...

Bet it is short lived exhaustion...the Justice Bro's will see to it!

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #650 on: January 22, 2015, 08:42:54 AM »
Who's idea was Jar Jar Binks?

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #651 on: January 22, 2015, 10:22:14 AM »

Presumably Mr. and Mrs. Binks.  ::rimshot::

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #652 on: January 22, 2015, 11:07:14 AM »

hank you. I'm sorely in need of something funny and that tickled me funny bone.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #653 on: January 22, 2015, 11:31:49 AM »

Binky and Sqwinky Binks bumped bugglies and banged out a bouncing little Binks!   ::hysterical::

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #654 on: January 22, 2015, 11:36:12 AM »

Watched it last week-end. Very good movie.

Read the book, but that was 4-5 books ago and don't remember all of the details. I'm guessing the movie has some embellishments.

Bradley Cooper did an EXCELLENT job as Chris Kyle.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #655 on: January 22, 2015, 12:00:20 PM »

Read the book, but that was 4-5 books ago and don't remember all of the details. I'm guessing the movie has some embellishments.

This movie really has the libbies a-wailin' and a tooth-gnashin', doesn't it?

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #656 on: January 22, 2015, 04:38:39 PM »

Even more so since Selma got snubbed. Why am I getting so much enjoyment from all of that?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #657 on: January 22, 2015, 05:02:03 PM »

Even more so since Selma got snubbed. Why am I getting so much enjoyment from all of that?

scha·den·freu·de
?SHäd?n?froid?/
noun
pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #658 on: January 22, 2015, 05:02:34 PM »
Going to see it Friday Nite.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #659 on: January 24, 2015, 11:52:23 PM »
It is not often that I use the words, "one of the worst movie experiences of my life," but I'm about to do just that.

This evening I took mrs. trapeze and our fifteen-year-old daughter to see "Into The Woods" and it was one of the worst movie experiences of my life.

A dog's breakfast.

Unfunny and yet emotionless.

Painful. Especially as regards the music but everything else, as well. Imagine a musical where the creative talent had to be thinking, "Hey, remember all those great musicals of the last fifty years? Let's not do anything like that!"

Will be used in the future by the CIA as part of an enhanced interrogation technique to break the wills of the most hardened prisoners.

There is bad. There is forgettably bad. And then there is, "Please Lord, help me to forget this horribly bad experience," bad. This movie would be that third one.

How anyone had the nerve to release this travesty into movie theaters is a total mystery. They should be tied up in a burlap sack with several rabid badgers. And then burned.

So, no, it should not have gone into theaters. It should not have gone straight to DVD or pay-per-view. All copies should have been burned. Do not watch this. You will be very, very sorry if you do.

I wanted all of the movie characters to die. A lot of them actually did.

I would have gotten up and left after five minutes but my daughter (and her female friend) were seated somewhere else in the theater and I did not want to go and look for them. So mrs. trapeze and I endured it. We should file a lawsuit for pain and suffering.

Johnny Depp can be kinda creepy, right? So, sure...cast him as the Wolf opposite Little Red Riding Hood and make it appear that he wants to (very badly) sexually assault her. He doesn't but it sure looks as if he is fantasizing about a BTK-style serial killing.

Things happen inexplicably in this movie. Some characters die and for no apparent reason come back to life. Others just die for no apparent reason and for no apparent benefit to the plot (such as it is). Sometimes it seems as if the singing will never stop. And then it does and there is dialogue for an extended period of time and you begin to forget that it is supposed to be a musical and then the singing starts up again and you wish it would go back to merely inane dialogue.

Did you ever see, "Hansel & Gretel, Witch Hunters?" I caught it on regular cable a few weeks ago and it was awful. Twenty minutes into this I was wishing very hard that I was watching that movie instead. It made more sense and there was zero atrocious music and singing.

At one point in the movie you are led to believe that it is ending and you think, "Ah, relief...I can leave and put this behind me," only to discover that, no, there is another twenty minutes of torture left. That is just plain cruelty on the part of the producers.

Many years from now if I am not killed unexpectedly I will be on my death bed looking back on my life, remembering the good times and the bad and I can tell you right now that I will remember this movie and the two hours or so of my life that it took from me, wishing I could get them back.

EDIT:

I wrote the above before going to RottenTomatoes to see what the "experts" thought. I suspected that the critics would love it and I was correct. It got a 71% favorable from critics. The audience numbers were less positive at 55%. I know why the critics loved it, it "broke the rules" and "gave a new take on traditional stories" and crap like that. I can even explain why audiences rated it as high as 55%, the "Emperor's New Clothes" syndrome where no one wants to admit that they just got suckered out of the price of admission plus it has all these big name actors so it must be good, right? Well, it isn't. It totally sucks.

Another example of how bad it is: Toward the end of the movie there is a musical number where the surviving characters sing (and literally point) at each other as to how it is their fault that things have turned out as miserably as they have.

I really wanted a forest fire to sweep through "The Woods" and take them all.

EDIT:

Why did I see this? I wanted to see "American Sniper" with mrs. trapeze and let the two teenage girls see this stinker on their own. But, to my eternal regret, "American Sniper" was sold out and there wasn't another movie that would have ended at the same time as this piece of stylized garbage.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:22:07 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.