Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 229132 times)

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #680 on: February 02, 2015, 04:27:57 PM »
Weisshaupt, just starting to watch The Man in the High Castle.
Looks really good.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #681 on: February 02, 2015, 04:53:24 PM »
Weisshaupt, just starting to watch The Man in the High Castle.
Looks really good.
Just remember to follow the link at the end of video and fill out the survey ..

or there won't be any more.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #682 on: February 02, 2015, 05:08:22 PM »
I was going to ask about the Amazon TV sticks...as I understand it there is like a basic version and a full version...the full version probably has more than I need, but either way I think there is some stuff (netflix) that require subscriptions and other things that don't...I don't know the full breakdown of what is/is not free or what they all contain (not sure if there is an explanation in detail either, and the young kids at the store are no help!) but I would be interested in doing something through the internet and start disconnecting in part or in whole from the bloody cable!

Sorry to go O/T, curious what others may know/do.   ;)

Well first make sure your TV isn't already Internet capable.  A lot of newer TVs basically have a Roku-Box like thing built in that will support, at minimum,  Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu. I hadn't used that feature of thE TV till yesterday.  It also does skype. (and the camera is covered over with tape)
And I have a hard wired connection to it, so I can unplug it when not in actual use.  Its an extra step connecting to the network before I can watch.  Thats okay.

Failing that there are various set top and stick-like boxes you can add - and they all pretty much do the same thing.  I am a big amazon customer, I pay for Prime just for the shipping,  and so  I would want that service on my box as well.

Unless you are a big gamer and want to download and play games I wouldn't worry about the upgraded FIRE box.  Though AMAZON still hasn't seemed to have figured out their creep factor.  The Amazon Fire phone flopped and I can't say exactly  why.  i do know I wasn't interested because the  interfaces RELIES ON CAMERAS WATCHING YOU  to be used.   You can't just cover them up.  And the Fire Stick offers a voice remote control, which is cool till you figure out you remote is listening to you all of the time.  But your Cell phone already has Nsa hacks in  it to let them do that to you as well- even when the phone is off. Big Brother is here, but I don't see adding another device to that mix, so I would probably go Roku before fire stick.  But they will probably dup that feature as well.
Just don't talk seditious while watching movies. Your entertainment center is watching you.

Mind all of this stuff can just be watched on your laptop or tablet, and you can easily plug that in via a HDMI port  -- only downside is you want a long output cable so you can control it from your seat. Otherwise you go all old school and have to get up to change things.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #683 on: February 02, 2015, 05:36:52 PM »
Just don't talk seditious while watching movies. Your entertainment center is watching you.

Through Roku boxes too?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #684 on: February 02, 2015, 06:21:47 PM »
Thanks for sharing that.
I hope they make this into a series

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #685 on: February 02, 2015, 07:01:56 PM »
Speaking of Clint Eastwood and musicals, you could do worse than Jersey Boys, the story of Frankie Avalon and the Four Seasons.

The Judge was a preview on the above DVD.  Definitely looked worth checking out.

A musical where the subject of the movie is music and musicians isn't really a musical, at least in my mind. To me, a musical is a movie where all the characters sing and/or dance for no reason, and all innately know the lyrics to the songs and the complex dance steps.

You mean at the the end, with Christopher Walken joining the rest of the cast in a complex dance, for no reason, doesn't count?

::bustamove::

LOL, I haven't seen "Jersey Boys". Is it a musical? I assumed it was more like a biopic.

It is a biopic, of a Broadway Show, with a musical number at the very end.  Better than I thought it would be.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #686 on: February 02, 2015, 08:11:40 PM »

Through Roku boxes too?

I don't believe so.  No SKYPE support and no camera  and no mic to my knowledge.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #687 on: February 03, 2015, 06:24:53 AM »
I was going to ask about the Amazon TV sticks...as I understand it there is like a basic version and a full version...the full version probably has more than I need, but either way I think there is some stuff (netflix) that require subscriptions and other things that don't...I don't know the full breakdown of what is/is not free or what they all contain (not sure if there is an explanation in detail either, and the young kids at the store are no help!) but I would be interested in doing something through the internet and start disconnecting in part or in whole from the bloody cable!

Sorry to go O/T, curious what others may know/do.   ;)

Well first make sure your TV isn't already Internet capable.  A lot of newer TVs basically have a Roku-Box like thing built in that will support, at minimum,  Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu. I hadn't used that feature of thE TV till yesterday.  It also does skype. (and the camera is covered over with tape)
And I have a hard wired connection to it, so I can unplug it when not in actual use.  Its an extra step connecting to the network before I can watch.  Thats okay.

Failing that there are various set top and stick-like boxes you can add - and they all pretty much do the same thing.  I am a big amazon customer, I pay for Prime just for the shipping,  and so  I would want that service on my box as well.

Unless you are a big gamer and want to download and play games I wouldn't worry about the upgraded FIRE box.  Though AMAZON still hasn't seemed to have figured out their creep factor.  The Amazon Fire phone flopped and I can't say exactly  why.  i do know I wasn't interested because the  interfaces RELIES ON CAMERAS WATCHING YOU  to be used.   You can't just cover them up.  And the Fire Stick offers a voice remote control, which is cool till you figure out you remote is listening to you all of the time.  But your Cell phone already has Nsa hacks in  it to let them do that to you as well- even when the phone is off. Big Brother is here, but I don't see adding another device to that mix, so I would probably go Roku before fire stick.  But they will probably dup that feature as well.

Mind all of this stuff can just be watched on your laptop or tablet, and you can easily plug that in via a HDMI port  -- only downside is you want a long output cable so you can control it from your seat. Otherwise you go all old school and have to get up to change things.

Well, if they heard me on my phone last night...

Obviously, I cannot promise to comply with such a tall order...

You are not new around here, I thought you knew me?   ::hysterical::

Thanks for the rundown though.   ::hat-tip::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #689 on: February 08, 2015, 08:02:12 PM »
It seems like film and TV entertainment has turned so dark. I find my tastes have gravitated in that direction. So once in a while it's nice to step out of that and remember that entertainment can also be whimsical with no darkness at all.

Today we saw an absolutely delightful movie. It was a clever, fun, impeccably clean, and all-around nice story: Paddington.

I didn't have high expectations for a cute movie about a anthropomorphic bear. I figured it would be "Ted" for kids, but it was way different. A refreshing surprise.

The whole movie has a British theme, which added a style all its own. It had its expected "cute bear in the big city" hijinks, and some very "cartoonish" moments. Not cartoonish as in animated, but in a Looney Toons kind of way. For instance, in one scene, Paddington floods the entire house. The next morning, nothing was ruined and everything was dry, just like Wile E. Coyote gets blown to shreds, and is just fine in the next scene.

This is a live action movie with a CG bear who emigrates from the forests of Peru to London. Suspension of disbelief is dealt with in the first two minutes of the film, and the premise is carried throughout very adeptly. Nicole Kidman does a good turn (albeit unchallenging) as the antagonist of the film. Otherwise the actors were unknown to me.

The thing that really surprised me that I wasn't prepared for, was that from top-to-bottom, the theme of this movie was an intentional, quite obvious, adoption advocacy story. I s'pose that as an adoptive parent, that might mean more to me than it does to someone else. But in a couple moments, the movie actually had tears brimming in my eyes because of the beautiful way it addressed love and relationship in an adoptive family.

Even if you don't have kids, and you're just tired of the darkness in entertainment, and you're looking for something lighthearted and meaningful, but not stupid - I'd go see this movie. Take a grandkid if you're too embarrassed to see it on your own. It's not the greatest movie I've seen, but I enjoyed it more than many. I'd give it 5 out of 5 stars, while acknowledging that it's probably a 4 out of 5 film for most people.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 10:09:14 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #690 on: February 09, 2015, 06:45:20 AM »
Clean simple fun...the new Sponge Bob!  Probably better off seeing that than most of the crap out there.   :D

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #691 on: February 11, 2015, 11:03:31 AM »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #692 on: February 11, 2015, 11:45:47 AM »
Heh, glad my mouth was dry when I watched that!   ::laughonfloor::

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #694 on: February 20, 2015, 05:20:24 PM »
Want to check out some Anime?  Got everyone sick and nothing to do?
I get regular 48 Hour, full access passes from crunchy roll  to hand out  on a monthly basis for being a "premium member"

So far my $9/month membership has been worth it - because we are continuously finding something new to watch, a lot of the anime is just simply better than any of the crap on American television, or even on Hulu and netflix ( because,well, its American) and they recently added a huge collection of Manga to read online as well.

I have 3 passes to hand out at the moment, if anyone wants to take a gander and watch what they have. I recommend the first season of Sword Art Online (there are two after that, good but not great)  or Attack on Titan.   The bad news of course is you have to binge watch as the pass only lasts 48 hours.  But the good news is it doesn't cost you a dime.   Just PM me. When they are gone they are gone.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #695 on: February 20, 2015, 05:59:24 PM »
True, it is just fantasy, but...

British action-adventure Kingsman: The Secret Service features Colin Firth as a dapper, tailored super spy, Samuel L. Jackson as an evil billionaire with a Russell Simmons lisp, and slick shenanigans that’d make James Bond jealous. It also boasts a controversial moment that rivals the explosive, hacker-baiting money shot that earned Sony’s The Interview the ire of North Korea.  (Warning: Spoilers ahead.)  In a sequence that should get tongues wagging at distributor 20th Century Fox’s sister network Fox News (also owned by Rupert Murdoch), the cheeky comic book movie from Kick-Ass director Matthew Vaughn makes history—not for reinventing the spy genre, but for being the first major studio film to kill President Barack Obama.

It will be interesting to see how people react, eh?

I went to the movies. That in itself is notable because I never go to the movies (I think the last time was with Random about 7 years ago).

The outing was paid for by my company as some sort of phony-baloney feel-good exercise (I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop). Kingsman was the feature. I enjoyed it (well most of it at any rate).

It fails for the same reason so many do these days - instead of being an action movie it was a frenetic amphetamine rush. If you've ever taken amphetamines you know what comes next - the inevitable crash. The movie wears you out with the frantic camera work and the too-loud soundtrack. They had a bunch of really interesting scenes but they tried too hard.

Fair warning: it's gory in the same over~the~top fashion. Much of it is predictable, some is silly, a bit catches you by surprise, but at least it isn't offensive. Well, maybe to Øbongo but who cares, right?!

All in all some good clean fun.

Enjoy.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #696 on: February 23, 2015, 06:58:45 AM »
This is what you get when a faggot has free reign...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2959076/Oscars-Neil-Patrick-Harris-makes-ill-timed-joke-winner-dedicates-award-son-committed-suicide.html

...and true to form, Hollyweirdo's pick lame-ass flicks and throw awards at them...

...while truly good films the people went to in droves like American Sniper get snubbed in all the major catagories and are given a token win for sound editing...

And this is ornic, huh, given the snubbing...maybe they should have...well, anyway...

Hollywierd political bullsh*ttery regins supreme once again.

Honestly, can we end this charade and just have this crap mailed out by UPS?   ::whatgives::   ::mooning::
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 07:23:42 AM by Libertas »

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #697 on: February 23, 2015, 07:42:00 AM »
I wonder why gay men are so stereotyped?   ::thinking::

This piece of feral trash will certainly get be back into theaters...not.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #698 on: February 26, 2015, 09:30:17 PM »
The. Best. 28. Minutes. I have. EVER. Spent

The Voices of a Distant Star accomplishes more in 28 minutes than most anime can accomplish in  26 episodes

It. Was. Awesome.

Free for you to watch on Crunchy Roll. Just PM me if you want to get rid of the ads.
Folllow the link
now.

I.  am. absolutely. Blown. away.
And I picked it randomly from Crunchy roll.

Yes. Spend 30 minutes on this. Do. it. now.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 09:48:10 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #699 on: February 27, 2015, 10:35:50 PM »

Voices from a Distant Star was produced by a SINGLE guy. On his MAC.  and that only adds to the Awesome.

Watch the anime. Get over the fact its a cartoon. When it comesto anime they THINK about what they show. Its "ART" in a way that Americans films rarely are.  Its normal and common place in anime.

Watched 5 centimeters per second tonight

http://www.crunchyroll.com/5-centimeters-per-second/5-centimeters-per-second-5-centimeters-per-second-521140

This guy is a Frigging genius.

When I first became interested in the woman who was to become my wife, she said she was seeking "sacred moments"  and when pressed, clarified with Joseph Campbell.. seeking her "bliss"
It is at least 1/2 the reason I married her.

These films are nothing but those sacred moments laid bare. Yeah they are love stories... but not of the typical kind.
Watch. Them.

PM  me if you will wish to watch them without commercials.

Tomorrow its "The place promised in our early days. "

Free to watch with commercials.  Free to watch without. (why is no one sending me a PM?

http://www.crunchyroll.com/the-place-promised-in-our-early-days/episode-1-521652