Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 233061 times)

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #700 on: February 28, 2015, 01:40:05 PM »
(why is no one sending me a PM?)

Sorry Weisshaupt, I've been hanging onto my job by the very tips of my fingers and haven't had time for much else. I do appreciate anime, but I'm conflicted about it at the same time.

Random left me some movies - I have no doubt you've heard of some of them:

Appleseed Saga - Ex Machina - "a futuristic utopia where humans, cyborgs, and bio-engineered human beings called "Bioroids" are attempting to live in perfect harmony. However, a series of random terrorist attacks perpetrated by cyborgs and humans alike threaten to throw Olympus into total chaos."

Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within - "A scientist makes a last stand on Earth with the help of a ragtag team of soldiers against an invasion of alien phantoms."

And an endearing one that is my favorite:

Spirited Away - "In the middle of her family's move to the suburbs, a sullen 10-year-old girl wanders into a world ruled by gods, witches, and monsters; where humans are changed into beasts."

I wasn't aware of these movies and only slightly aware of the genre before I found them on her laptop. I think that they're top-notch movies but (for obvious reasons) they're difficult for me to watch.

BTW: I located 5 Centimeters Per Second: http://stagevu.com/video/pqewfhxzvcci and Voices of a Distant Star: http://stagevu.com/video/govcqbybwmqb at Stagevu.com and downloaded them for later viewing (due to uneven internet access this is my preferred method of viewing anything larger than a quick u-toob).

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #701 on: February 28, 2015, 05:31:08 PM »
I've never given anime a first look, let alone a second. My only real exposure to it was via osmosis, when I happened to be in room when my boys were watching DragonballZ as kids.

I must say, your strong advocacy has me curious Weisshaupt. I think I may just give it a try.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #702 on: February 28, 2015, 07:00:39 PM »
(why is no one sending me a PM?)

Appleseed Saga - Ex Machina - "a futuristic utopia where humans, cyborgs, and bio-engineered human beings called "Bioroids" are attempting to live in perfect harmony. However, a series of random terrorist attacks perpetrated by cyborgs and humans alike threaten to throw Olympus into total chaos."
APPLESEED SAGA - you just did me a huge favor. I couldn't remember the name of the other series my Japanese Major friend showed me ( and translated in real time from a crappy VHS) - That was it.  But is ones of those that went on forever.. its going to be as monumental as trying to watch every episode of Dr. Who.

And Yes, the other two are excellent and I have seen them. Final Fastasy actually came after the Game.  Spirited Away is by the one guy that broke through into Hollywood and got Disney to produce some stuff. 

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #703 on: March 05, 2015, 07:26:49 PM »
Saw 5 centimeters a second and Garden of Words,  neither blew me away like voice from a distant star, but both were worth the time.
This guy has a particular way of focusing on mundane images that are the sort of things I noticed and thought about in child hood. I guess that makes it work for me.
Both are good, and some of the scenes in Garden of Words have you asking if you are watching film, and visually they are both stunning.
Both are good stories.
 I have seen Voice from a distant Star now three times.  Got the (used)  DVD and watched the English dubbed version.   Its better than subtitled ( which is unusual, but I suspected a lot of content was getting lost in the the translation, and they did an excellent job. This is also one of the few times where the visuals are every bit as important as what is said, and hearing English lets you concentrate on that )  The soundtrack just gets better and better.  I am still surprised at how much I like it. (a bit like Dr. Horrible in that respect)

Seriously take the time to watch this stuff. It may not be the best moments of your life, but worth more of your time than anything out of Hollywood these days.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #704 on: March 15, 2015, 10:02:03 PM »
The Kids have started forcing Michelle to watch Full Metal Alchemist.  She is not a fan yet, but on the second viewing I am enjoying it more, because I understand more of what I am seeing. They Foreshadow lots of things,  but you can't sort what they are doing until later when you have a context to fit it into.

Also watched 'Children who Chase Lost Voices" and "Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind" -which ( as far as I can learn ) is a recent Disney remake of an 80's Anime of the same name.  Both were very good.  In many ways Children who Chase Lost voices  came close to being as good as "Voices from a Distant Star" for me.  Same eye candy anime, with the same talent for  infusing  those everyday moments and scenes with more meaning.  The Story even borrows a bit from Full Metal Alchemist. 

Nausicaa has an excellent story, but the eye candy isn't there.  The animation is well done, but never makes you say 'wow". There is also  what I believe to be a shout out to Space Battleship Yamato in it,  so it is a bit like coming full circle. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 08:47:50 AM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #705 on: March 15, 2015, 10:31:23 PM »
I totally forgot that I had a copy of Space Battleship Yamato that I had downloaded from the 'net.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #706 on: March 16, 2015, 08:50:54 AM »
I totally forgot that I had a copy of Space Battleship Yamato that I had downloaded from the 'net.

If this is the live action movie , the English dub is better than the subtitle translation ( if you have a choice)
Its a good treatment of the material, but you can only do so much taking 13 hours of original material and compressing it into 2 hours. If you move on to watch a series, the Space Battleship Yamato 2199 reboot  is well worth your time.  I ended up torrent  on that one...

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #707 on: March 16, 2015, 10:25:02 PM »
Just watched "The Place Promised in Our Early Days" on Crunchy roll ( Still Have free passes left if you want to watch without commercials!- IM me...) - and its the last feature length Makoto Shinkai film I have to watch.  I think I may have saved the best for last.  "Voices from a Distant Star"  tells a similar story and in far less time, but this one benefits from the longer telling in my opinion (and an entire studio producing the film instead of Shinkaialone on his powermac G4) .  All of his films were consistently stunning visually, the stories had  similar themes ( platontic young love, loss and separation,  longing)  and similar  symbolism (trains, rain)  so some might feel they have "seen this one before"  - but  I have a high tolerance for repetition, and I enjoyed seeing the variations on the main theme.   They aren't the same stories by any means - and its a bit like watching Tarantino progress toward "Pulp Fiction"  film by film.. - but way more fun and with far less blood and gore.

I don't think  Shinkai has had his "pulp fiction" moment yet,  but when he does and he makes that film, its going to be truely brilliant.

“ Shinkai has been hailed as the next Miyazaki, and his dreamy mindscapes often equal or surpass the anime maestro in breadth of detail and depth of emotion. Shinkai extends the innate possibilities of the anime dynamic, reapplying its principles of lush effects, inflated background detail and sometimes undernourished character animation to mirror the interiority of the characters in every nuance of their surroundings." – Ronnie Scheib from Variety"

I have seen quite a few Miyazaki films.. I liked them.  I like Shinkai films more than any of them.

Now, just to try sand convince you folks to watch Weisshaupt's silly cartoons, here is a listing of awards he has garnered:

She and her Cat ( short film)
Human Grand Prix in SKIP Creative Human award – 2000
 Grand Prix in 12th DoGA CG-animation contest

Voices from a Distant Star
listed 100th on DVD Verdict's Top 100 DVD Films list
2002 Animation Kobe for packaged work
2003 Seiun Award for best media

5 Centimeters per second
won the Lancia Platinum Grand Prize at the Future Film Festival for best movie in animation or special effects
Award for Best Animated Feature Film at the 2007 Asia Pacific Screen Awards.
The limited edition DVD of the film was ranked 3rd on the Tohan charts between 18–24 July 2007, while the regular edition of the film was ranked 7th.[33] The film was Japan's fourth most popular Blu-ray film in 2008.[34]
Mania.com lists 5 Centimeters Per Second as the best anime not by Hayao Miyazaki.
The Japan Times?'?s Mark Schilling commends Shinkai saying that he is better than Miyazaki "at piercing the veil of the everyday to reveal a poignant, evanescent beauty most of us notice only in rare moments."
 (emphasis mine.)

Children Who Chase Lost Voices

Children Who Chase Lost Voices received highly positive reviews from film critics with many critics describing the film as a near-perfection of Studio GhibliLuke Halliday from Capsule Computers gave the film a perfect score, heralding the film as Shinkai's finest "Children Who Chase Lost Voices is an astonishing film that truly feels like the culmination of Shinkai’s entire career up until this point. It is his most ambitious work to date and quite simply his crowning achievement in the art form." He continued on to highlight the film's significance to anime as an artform "This is perhaps the most important anime film of the new millennium, because it marks an important changing of tides. It is films like Children Who Chase Lost Voices that remind us of how magical anime can truly be."

The Garden of Words
 Year's Best Animation in iTunes' Best of 2013
 won the 2013 Kobe Theatrical Film Award
At the 2013 Fantasia International Film Festival, it shared the Satoshi Kon Award for Achievement in Animation with Berserk: Golden Age Arc III – Descent while winning the Audience Award for Best Animation Feature.[
2014 Stuttgart Festival of Animated Film, it won the AniMovie Award for feature films

Amaze yourself and you friends. Next time you are looking for "something good to watch" try one of these.

Storyboards, original art, and other material from The Garden of Words were exhibited between June 28 and October 19, 2014 at the Ooka Makoto Kotoba Museum in Mishima, Shizuoka Prefecture. The museum, run by Z-Kai Co., also featured Shinkai's commercial Cross Road (made for Z-Kai Co.), along with She and Her Cat and 5 Centimeters Per Second. In addition to the display materials and film viewings for each of the works, a replica of the shoes designed by Takao was also on display.[105]

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #709 on: March 26, 2015, 08:31:14 AM »
Spielburg to Direct Ready Player One
Good be a good thing or a bad thing.  Not sure.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #710 on: March 26, 2015, 10:11:43 AM »
Saw "Unbroken" last night. Angelina Jolie did a very good job at directing and co-producing. More later perhaps...I didn't even look back to see if someone else has already covered this movie...but this is a very good, ultimately uplifting, and true story that is well told. I would recommend it with the only caution being that the prison camp torture is fairly brutal although, truth be told, nowhere near to the actual inhumanity that the Japanese inflicted on their prisoners.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #711 on: March 28, 2015, 10:08:34 PM »
I think I just saw one of the worst movies with the highest acclaim.

Rented Birdman and turned it off 1/2 hour or so into it.

I really wanted to like it because I like Michael Keaton and he's a genuine Pittsburgh guy.

Words elude me on this.

It just sucked!

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #712 on: March 30, 2015, 02:10:05 AM »
I think I just saw one of the worst movies with the highest acclaim.

Rented Birdman and turned it off 1/2 hour or so into it.

I really wanted to like it because I like Michael Keaton and he's a genuine Pittsburgh guy.

Words elude me on this.

It just sucked!

mrs. trapeze saw it and told me not to bother. I asked her why and she said that it embodied just about everything I detested in film. I then asked her if it was an actors' film about actors lamenting, proudly the act of acting and she said that was as good a summary as any considering I hadn't seen the movie. And I won't be.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #713 on: March 30, 2015, 08:54:04 AM »
I should have known with all the Hollywood acclaim that it would suck.

I got it partly for Mrs. AP but can't blame her totally.
I thought I wanted to see it, too.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #714 on: April 03, 2015, 10:14:49 PM »
We took the little one to see the new live-action, Kenneth Branaugh produced version of "Cinderella" this afternoon.

Maybe I'm just getting sappy in my old age. Maybe my fatigue over current events is causing me to seek occasional escape into innocent entertainment. Maybe it's a desire for nostalgia.

But I'll be damned - I thought this movie was better than good. From beginning to end, it was just right. Hyper-faithful to the original. Well-acted with top-tier actors. Beautiful to look at.

I almost didn't go with them, because, Cinderella. But I'm really glad I did.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #715 on: May 12, 2015, 11:42:55 PM »
Start with apology: I'm sorry that I've been away recently. My business and personal life have been intruding into my free time.

I wish that I could comment on politics but it's too depressing. Except for Ted Cruz. I like Ted Cruz. I think he's the best of the lot. At least I think that now. Perhaps he will say something very stupid or take a policy position which is a deal breaker for me but it doesn't look like that's in the cards. Ben Carson continues to disappoint with rookie mistakes (I don't care how good he might be I think it's stupid for someone's first whack at elected office be the highest in the land) and bizarre policy positions. Don't even get me started on Jeb Bush or Huckabee...clods like that just make me angry.

So...anyway...how about a movie review?

I took my daughter to see the latest installment of The Avengers a few days ago and was pleasantly surprised that it didn't suck.

The first one didn't suck. It wasn't the greatest piece of film craftsmanship ever but it wasn't supposed to be. The same can be said for the most recent one. The story was mostly good. The special effects were not horribly noticeable. The pacing was not unlike a fast moving freight train. I managed to make it all the way through without having to visit the bathroom...really went slow on the diet Pepsi.

The complaints I have are very minor and are more or less thematic. I didn't care for the staggering number of one-liners in the movie. There was a lot of dialogue that was intended to be funny. Some worked, some did not. And I asked myself why that bothered me and the answer that I came up with was that my real problem with the film was (and I hate to say this given the history of this forum), tone. I liked the film but I wanted the tone to be dark as in the Dark Knight trilogy. I mean, the survival of the planet and the human race is at stake which is a kind of serious issue and these guys are cracking jokes left and right. There were some (a very few) jokes in the Batman series and they were all the more funny for the overall lack of them. Batman had a pretty serious mess on his hands in each one of those movies and he took it very seriously. There was a very discernible element of coolness to that.

The Avengers was not like that at all. These guys were saving the world but they were acting as if they were having a great time doing it. There was no time when I thought, based on their attitudes, they were the least bit concerned about how seriously in trouble they might be. Avenging is, by definition, pretty serious stuff. I wanted to see them rolling up their sleeves, getting pretty pissed off, and basically ripping the arms and legs off of anyone or anything that threatened the human population. I wanted to see the Avengers dismember the enemies of humanity with the same blood-drenched zeal that the Spartans put on the Persians in 300.

So...a thematic complaint about a movie which was, on balance, well crafted and enjoyable. I would see it again if I didn't have to shell out so much for a movie ticket. And that's because I'm cheap.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #716 on: May 13, 2015, 06:46:28 AM »
Thanks, Trap.

I saw this last week end at the drive-in.
I thought it was entertaining with lots of action, some suspense and lots of things blown up.

I think "cocky" is why they are sometimes flippant.

The Avengers are cocky because they're so bad-ass

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #717 on: May 13, 2015, 06:56:35 AM »
Sounds like good matinee material.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #718 on: May 13, 2015, 10:03:07 AM »
Thanks, Trap.

I thought it was entertaining with lots of action, some suspense and lots of things blown up.

I saw it too and enjoyed it probably the most of the Marvel franchise movies I have seen.
Batman  is Dark.  The Avengers aren't.  So it should be. Captain America is just not a "dark" kind of guy..

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #719 on: May 13, 2015, 11:17:55 AM »
Thanks, Trap.

I saw it too and enjoyed it probably the most of the Marvel franchise movies I have seen.
Batman  is Dark.  The Avengers aren't.  So it should be. Captain America is just not a "dark" kind of guy..

Raciss!!!

::hysterical::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.